I really don't think it should be called the "ORC license"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
More seriously, ketchup is an example of where what was once a brand name has become common parlance for the product in question, much like kleenex has for a tissue. This is relevant today in that one could maybe argue that "dungeons and dragons" has become common parlance for tabletop role-playing games in general; and if that's the case WotC's claims to ownership of the name lose a lot of steam.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So is someone suggesting this should be called the KETCHUP license?

OK, I suppose, but I've no idea what that acronym would stand for.....

And for my hot dog, put ketchup on one side of it and mustard on the other, please. Stop there. Hand it over.

One time, I had two friends over. I made them hot dogs.

They got in a big argument. One of them said that they wanted ketchup on their dog. The other one said that was the worst thing in the world, and demanded mustard. It went back and forth....

So I just put mayo on their dogs. Win win!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
One time, I had two friends over. I made them hot dogs.

They got in a big argument. One of them said that they wanted ketchup on their dog. The other one said that was the worst thing in the world, and demanded mustard. It went back and forth....

So I just put mayo on their dogs. Win win!
angry dirty harry GIF

Then Magic took off; and by the late 90s (at least here; the UK might have been different) RPGs in general had faded very sharply and D&D was pretty much on life support; sure WotC bought out TSR in '97 and thus saved the IP from extinction, but in comparison with even ten years prior virtually nobody was actually playing it.
I mean, I can only speak anecdotally, but I think AD&D's loss was mostly White Wolf's gain. Like, when I got to university in 1997, not only had the RPG club grown to the point where it was meeting in a larger space (so I was told, obviously I was new), but there was, IIRC 1 table of AD&D players, vs. 6+ tables of White Wolf players (I think 3 of which were Vampire). There were more Ars Magica players than D&D players! That's obviously 18-22-year-old players, not the whole market, but I thought it was interesting.

So D&D on life support? Definitely. Other RPGs? I can only say that's not what I saw. Well hmmm - generic medieval fantasy RPGs were suffering pretty badly (D&D, Rolemaster, etc.), like, they were "uncool" - but anything that wasn't that, particularly Urban Fantasy/Horror stuff was doing pretty good. Then 3E and Exalted both helped make fantasy RPGs cool again, and pretty much saved that genre between them (people forget how big a deal Exalted was at the time, I think).

Remove ads