D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually that's an interesting question. Wasn't there a video game where you start doing typical FPS slaughter and then discover you were actually working for the bad guys all along? It seems a common plot so I'd like to know if it was implemented (but it might turn the audience off, so maybe not).
More than one. Tyranny was quite open about it. Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal screws it up because it's quite obvious what's going on but it simply denies you the option of "I don't believe you."[attack] and forces you to do what they say. In Planescape: Torment the bad guy is you.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Let's say the player's concept is something like Kenshin or Batman where they have a code against killing.

Without the Keep or Kill rule where the player chooses whether or not the target dies at 0HP, you get these situations in 3e where you end up acting like you're trying to capture a Pokemon, hitting them until you think they're low and then using subdual because subdual makes you suck on toast at fighting. And THEN you crit on the first hit anyway and they explode in a fine red mist along with the Thou Shalt Not Kill character concept.
A houserule way to get around that, which we've used for ages, is that if a PC states the attack (any melee attack, not just the finisher) is non-lethal before rolling to hit, any damage done is half-temporary half-real. When the foe gets to 0 h.p. via the temporary damage (thus is probably at half real h.p. unless something else has damaged it) it is considered knocked out. Temporary damage is recovered fairly quickly, about one point every few minutes.

Yes this means the DM might have to run dual hit-point tracks for some opponents, but so what?

Mirtek

Hero
As a replacement for goblins, I think it would eventually end up in the same place.

Gnolls are basically in this design space already, they are living fiends that basically only have the humanoid type so you can cast "X person" spells on them and can't use protection from evil to stop them. They have no cultures but destruction, aren't even born of natural means, and exist to basically be Chaotic Evil: The Monster and WotC is having to back away from that due to outcry over always Evil outcries.

I'm sure any monster positioned to be a goblin replacement would, given enough time, see the same trend toward humanizing that has turned goblins into an adorable not-evil PC race.
Except that once they formed the do gather in tribes, start fashioning Tools and clothes and weapons and customs and do breed the old fashioned way.

Mirtek

Hero
I don't drink, and I can't see why anyone would want alcoholic beverages in their ice cream. It just isn't appropriate.
Matter of taste.

There are a lot of creamy liqueurs that go well on ice cream. Just yesterday I had vanilla icecream with Crema di Limoncello.

Do you guys have Baileys in the US? It's very popular here with ice cream or in hot chocolate and whipped cream topping

haven't heard of ice cream with ewine yet, but I can imagine how particular wines would go well with certain flavors

Reynard

Legend
What D&D really needs to make goblin stomping as fun as possible is a nice variety of the little weirdos. 4E did a pretty good job at this. In 5E I usually trade out goblins' cunning action like ability for various other tricks to differentiate types in an encounter. I usually make them one hit wonders, like SW extras or 4E minions, too just to maximize stompage.

Remathilis

Legend
Except that once they formed the do gather in tribes, start fashioning Tools and clothes and weapons and customs and do breed the old fashioned way.
I'll admit it's been a minute since I read Volo, but I think that's a bit off. They aren't "tribes" as much as packs (hyenas, from which they spawn, are pack animals), the tools they use are exceptionally primitive (made of the remains of victims and stone, plus whatever they scavenge from victims), their culture is mostly about might and base urges, and that they explicitly called out that gnolls don't raise young.

Now, all that might have been true in earlier editions (I guarantee it was in 3e or older) but afaik, the 5e gnoll was specifically built to be kos and unsympathetic. Volo even has the testimony of a wizard reading ones mind and the repeated dives into it's thoughts are enough to drive the wizard to cabalistic murder.

But people want their cuddly puppy PCs, so we lose one of the coolest lore reinventions in 5e and make them another type of bandit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads