D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Really, though, D&D could just shift a lot of the negative traits ascribed to goblins and orcs and whatever to certain low CR demons and make them more common as low-level enemies. It would also help give dretches and what not more personality.

Demons are pure evil without the civility that devils can have, don't reproduce, are invaders from the Abyss rather than natives of the world, and don't even really die when destroyed unless destroyed in the Abyss. Their presence in large numbers also increases the Abyss' link to a world, so wiping out incursions is also an imperative.

What are you, an alignment chauvinist!?

Edit: The only thing is I have the suspicion that putting demons in the goblins' niche might somehow end up making people want to start portraying literal demons more sympathetically, which would be bad optics for the game that once suffered under the Satanic Panic.

...maybe Jack Chic was right all along!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To me it feels like LE has a lot more room for nuance than CE. Kingpin feels like he has a lot more interesting than the chitauri, or Dr Doom vs. Carnage.
I don’t think the 9-alignment system has much room for nuance. The idea that someone can be both lawful and evil may seem deep to someone with little to no exposure to philosophy, but I think at this point it’s old hat for most D&D players. It’s just shoving people (or worse, types of people) into one of nine boxes and pretending that tells you all you need to know about their moral character. Maybe LE is more nuanced than CE, but if it is, it’s in the way that GI Joe is more educational than Loony Tunes.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don’t think the 9-alignment system has much room for nuance. The idea that someone can be both lawful and evil may seem deep to someone with little to no exposure to philosophy, but I think at this point it’s old hat for most D&D players. It’s just shoving people (or worse, types of people) into one of nine boxes and pretending that tells you all you need to know about their moral character. Maybe LE is more nuanced than CE, but if it is, it’s in the way that GI Joe is more educational than Loony Tunes.
This is just another dismissal of a general system because it isnt specific.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It seems like you are conflating a few things as it relates to evil humanoids. "Inherently evil" only indicates a lack of free will in the moral sphere. Those creatures can still be subtle and charismatic and personable and complex and cooperative. They can also be fiery Cuisinarts of death and dark hilarity.
If they are not capable of being other than fiery Cuisinarts of death and dark hilarity, how can it be said that they have free will?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Maybe LE is more nuanced than CE, but if it is, it’s in the way that GI Joe is more educational than Loony Tunes.
Ok, misread that. I thought you were dissing Looney Tunes. (<-fixed previous things)

But going without the labels, Dr. Doom, Kingpin, and Lex Luthor more nuanced than the chitauri, Carnage, and Doomsday?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think that we should replace the old alignment system with Myers Briggs Personality Types to really bring nuance to our game.

No, no I don't. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm NG and an ENTJ. Oh, and a gemini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads