D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ok, misread that. I thought you were dissing Looney Tunes. (<-fixed previous things)

But going without the labels, Dr. Doom, Kingpin, and Lex Luthor more nuanced than the chitauri, Carnage, and Doomsday?
I’m not really a comic book girl, so I can’t speak much to the relative nuance of various comic book villains. From an outside perspective, they all pretty much look cartoonishly evil, with varying levels of explanatory backstory and/or internal conflict. Are explanatory backstory and internal conflict nuance? Yeah, I guess, they’re just minor as nuance goes.

It’s also maybe not the best analogy because these are individual characters, whereas goblins are a group. It might be more apropos to ask if, like, the Ten Rings is more nuanced than Hydra.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think that we should replace the old alignment system with Myers Briggs Personality Types to really bring nuance to our game.

No, no I don't. Sorry, I'm NG and an ENTJ.
Im "the debater" I seek knowledge not to be able to do things, or even be good at them at all, but just so I can participate in arguments...

Chaotic Neutral?

Charlaquin

I call him LN because he doesn't care about the welfare of people, so long as the law is followed. However, he's also not in it for his own profit, or specifically to cause harm.
Yeah, true. I call him LG because he acts primarily out of motivation to do good, he just believes that enforcing strict adherence to the law is the way to do that. Just another example of how the 9-alignment system is too limited to adequately describe a well-written and nuanced character.

Oofta

Legend
We do have different moral compasses. That doesn’t mean you’re immoral. Your moral framework is just different than mine. There are many different moral frameworks, like deontology, utilitarianism, intuitive morality, etc. One does not have to believe that frameworks they do not ascribe to are immoral.
A moral compass to me is completely separate from preferences for games. What kind of entertainment I enjoy has nothing to do with my personal morality and choices as a DM.

It's just odd that you even mentioned it or that you think you have a clue as to what I think or believe because of how I've chosen to run my game. What gives you the right?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, true. I call him LG because he acts primarily out of motivation to do good, he just believes that enforcing strict adherence to the law is the way to do that. Just another example of how the 9-alignment system is too limited to adequately describe a well-written and nuanced character.
Seems quite explanatory to me. As noted above (in humor) the alignment system is not a personality system.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
And I call him LE because he will cruelly and needlessly hurt others in his pursuit of The Law, even while the citizens he claims to protect are starving to death.

Charlaquin

I think that we should replace the old alignment system with Myers Briggs Personality Types to really bring nuance to our game.

No, no I don't. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm NG and an ENTJ. Oh, and a gemini.
The D&D YouTuber Taking 20 unironically suggested this once. He legit said “there aren’t 9 just personalities… There are 16!”

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's just odd that you even mentioned it or that you think you have a clue as to what I think or believe because of how I've chosen to run my game. What gives you the right?

Folks, this is getting intensely personal. I think it is probably time to stop that. Please do so, before one of us has to stop it for you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads