D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGibster

Legend
My goddaughter I just referenced was 13 when I taught her, by the way, and having enemies "defeated" and no longer an issue was fine.
If the DM is frequently contriving reasons for taking prisoners to bite the PCs in the bum then they'll be incentivized not to take prisoners. Good on you for not doing that.

Media aimed at younger folks doesn't include graphic death very often. Back in the 80s, in G.I. Joe cartoons, Cobra soldiers always had parachutes when their aircraft got shot down, and with tons of laser blasts around, few people clearly got shot, much less died.
Larry Hama, principle author of Marvel's GI Joe series throughout most of its run in the 80s and 90s, referred to the cartoon as morally bankrupt because of its lack of consequences resulting from all the fighting. I haven't given it much thought before, but just having an evil race you can stomp with impunity with no remorse might also be morally bankrupt.

Just on non-lethal play…

I’ve been playing a Tortle monk recently that uses a staff and mostly knocks enemies out. At level 10 now and he has only ever killed 3 humanoids across the whole campaign (and 2 of those were in the last session). One memorable encounter involved knocking out an assassin that had made an attempt on my characters life.

It’s been a really fun way to (role)play, this and his ability to save peoples lives has made him one the most heroic characters I’ve had the pleasure of playing.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Just on non-lethal play…

I’ve been playing a Tortle monk recently that uses a staff and mostly knocks enemies out. At level 10 now and he has only ever killed 3 humanoids across the whole campaign (and 2 of those were in the last session). One memorable encounter involved knocking out an assassin that had made an attempt on my characters life.

It’s been a really fun way to (role)play, this and his ability to save peoples lives has made him one the most heroic characters I’ve had the pleasure of playing.

Love it.

And, of course, Tortle Monks are just so much flavorful awesomeness in one shell.

Reynard

Legend
Larry Hama, principle author of Marvel's GI Joe series throughout most of its run in the 80s and 90s, referred to the cartoon as morally bankrupt because of its lack of consequences resulting from all the fighting. I haven't given it much thought before, but just having an evil race you can stomp with impunity with no remorse might also be morally bankrupt.
There is enough of this sort of thing going around in this thread that I thought I might point out to all the other people that like pretending to be elves and grave robbers that making moral judgements against other people based on their preferences in same is not just the height of absurdity, it is the epitome of hypocrisy. People in this thread strongly implying other people in this thread are racists for liking stock enemies, and others blatantly calling other people morally bankrupt hardly seems like the sort of discourse meant to engender good faith discussion or a sense of community.

Scribe

Legend
There is enough of this sort of thing going around in this thread that I thought I might point out to all the other people that like pretending to be elves and grave robbers that making moral judgements against other people based on their preferences in same is not just the height of absurdity, it is the epitome of hypocrisy. People in this thread strongly implying other people in this thread are racists for liking stock enemies, and others blatantly calling other people morally bankrupt hardly seems like the sort of discourse meant to engender good faith discussion or a sense of community.
If you dont proclaim other's to be such, they may assume the same of you. Judge first, lest you be judged. ;)

MGibster

Legend
There is enough of this sort of thing going around in this thread that I thought I might point out to all the other people that like pretending to be elves and grave robbers that making moral judgements against other people based on their preferences in same is not just the height of absurdity, it is the epitome of hypocrisy.
I've certainly ROLFstomped many orcs and goblins in my day and I don't think it says anything negative about me or you as a person. I'm not a fan of children's entertainment that contains a lot of violence without at least showing at times the consequences of said violence. I don't think there needs to be a gore fest, but when the Ewoks are fighting the empire I think you really need to show one of the little buggers die.

Reynard

Legend
I've certainly ROLFstomped many orcs and goblins in my day and I don't think it says anything negative about me or you as a person. I'm not a fan of children's entertainment that contains a lot of violence without at least showing at times the consequences of said violence. I don't think there needs to be a gore fest, but when the Ewoks are fighting the empire I think you really need to show one of the little buggers die.
but just having an evil race you can stomp with impunity with no remorse might also be morally bankrupt.

Reynard

Legend
I didn't say you were morally bankrupt.
I am going to assume you are being forthright so I am going to put that as advice rather than as a rebuke:

When I started a thread about loving having an evil race I can stomp with impunity, and some others have expressed their agreement with that sentiment, you saying that such a thing "might also be morally bankrupt" it feel very directed. Maybe that is not what you meant but that is very much how it comes off.

Near the start of my current campaign I briefly had the players assisting a pacifist priestess when she got stuck during a monster attack.

While she did use spells like calm emotions to convince some enemies not to fight, when she was grappled and almost certainly about to die to an assassin she refused to fight back, preferring to die than compromise her moral code.

The sorcerer blasted the assassin's head off with twinned firebolts to save her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases