D&D Movie/TV I saw the D&D Movie and I loved it.

darjr

I crit!
The theatre was full and people cheered and at times fell into rapt silence ending with laughter and applause.

It was spot on. I was with several people I knew and some brand new to D&D and some said it was like our game.

I’m no film critic, whatever that’s worth to y’all.

Fun. I’m going to take my mom to see it, she’ll love it.

Oofta

Legend
Same here. Copying comments from the other thread because this one makes more sense ...

Just got back myself. I enjoyed the movie, while you have to accept that it's a fantasy movie. It reminds me more of the earlier MCU movies in a lot of ways with a mix of action with a decent dose of humor while not overdoing the humor aspect. There were a few laugh out loud moments, and darned if someone didn't start peeling onions at one point causing me to go a bit misty eyed.

There are a few "house rules" that tweaked implementation a bit and Easter eggs thrown in of course but for the most part but nothing that requires you to be a pre-existing fan of D&D. I'd recommend it for the whole family unless they only want to watch "serious" movies.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The theatre was full and people cheered and at times fell into rapt silence ending with laughter and applause.

It was spot on. I was with several people I knew and some brand new to D&D and some said it was like our game.

I’m no film critic, whatever that’s worth to y’all.

Fun. I’m going to take my mom to see it, she’ll love it.
I took my mom, wife, and daughter. They all enjoyed it a lot. My daughter loved the owlbear antics, my mom loved the ending, and my wife said it was great but wanted much more Regé-Jean Page.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm a little more critical. It was fun, don't get me wrong. However, the beginning was a bit exposition-heavy (but I suppose it kind of had to be), and it took a bit to truly find its groove. But when it does, it's full-on. The effects for the dragonborn, tabaxi and halflings were less than stellar (the aaracokra wasn't bad, though), but for the most part, the rest of the special effects were on par with most effects-heavy movies these days.

Overall, I enjoyed it and hope they make more D&D movies. I can't wait until it goes to streaming so I can spend time catching all the game elements.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have seen it too...

It is full of tidbits here and there. Places in the movie include:
Icewind Dale
Morbryn's Shield (where Shenk the paladin is first met)
the Evermoors (where the Uthgardt graveyard is)
Triboar (where they meet Simon)
Neverwinter
Dolblunde

In one shoot you can see Selûne's Tears...
Really well integrated to the region around Phandelin...interesting.

I just got back from the movie and I am sad to say I didn't like it really. It is the best official D&D movie ever made, but it had a lot of time and pacing issues (both IMO). Admittedly I find this an issue with a lot of movies in the past 5 years or so. Lot's of fun D&D things, but overall it was just an OK movie to me.
Shame it was not to your taste.

Remove ads