• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I sincerely need some help...

fba827

Adventurer
If you aren't using Psiconics, then, yes, bottom line you will lose something. Your question is what to replace it with?

Some possibilities:
* Sorcerer levels (with chosen spells that mimic your psiconic abilities as best as you can)
* magic items that mimic what you could once do
* chosen of type template that you mentioned (there is some magistar template in Magic of Faerun -- I don't recall the specifics but it was something like the chosen of a magic diety)
* retire the character -- there is no way he will be the EXACT same because of the change in editions and because of the lose of psionics.

some others that have already been mentioned are good too.

(i'll add to this list if i think of more later -- I've been up all night and need some sleep :) )

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Do you really find it fun to have a character that so obviously outstrips the characters of everyone else in the game? Seems kinda like having a major leaguer on a softball team. Looks like you could currently go toe-to-toe with any two of your three traveling companions and the DM let your game get very much out of hand. Maybe if your DM and the other players insist on the party being closer to balanced, and you lose some of your incredibly huge edge, they could toss you an artifact for your troubles. ;)

DonAdam

Explorer
On the Psionics:

Make sure you have the psionics handbook or SRD handy.

Open up a DMG to the item pricing section.

Find out what it would cost to make an item that lets you use power of level x a certain number of times per day, then add the modifier for the item not taking up any space.

Don't be strict with the GP limit at first; you'll need to tone down your powers to get into the ball park, but for the sake of history and conversion I would let you exceed the GP limit and then slow down your acquisition of wealth for a few levels until the limit catches up with what you have.

Voila! Balanced 1st edition psionic abilities.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It sounds like the real reason you're being screwed is because your DM isn't going to use 3E psionics.

That said, one idea would be to take the "level equivalent" of what you and your group feel your psionic powers are worth, and use that to actually gain some levels in the edition change.

This would be totally based on what consensus you and your group come to, but if they decide, for example, that the psionic powers you had were roughly, say, five character levels' worth, then you add five levels of a class to your 3E version of the character. This would probably work best if you took those levels in ones you already have (Wizard and Cleric), or Mystic Theurge.

If the DM is trying to make sure you're losing some power overall, and that you admit its necessary, then at some point you are going to have to accept that whatever the result, it is going to seem like it sucks compared to the character you left behind - this could very well mean that those special powers you left behind would just be exchanged for levels in a 3E class, since that'd be a bit more balanced.

Mordane76

First Post
Cedric said:
Here's my problem. I have a 1st edition Grey Elven Cleric/Magic-User. 8th cleric/9th magic-user...with 1st edition psionics (cell adjustment, invisibility, mindbar, detect good/evil and etherealness are my psionic disciplines), I have a large number of psionic power points.

My group has decided to convert the campaign over to 3rd edition. I have WOTC's little book of conversion recommendations...but honestly, this is sounding a lot like I am getting screwed.

I don't have a problem converting, I like 3rd ed. I don't have a problem with undergoing a moderate reduction in power because of it...I was a powerhouse in 1st.

Is there any in-game occurrence that will backlight this conversion? Is you DM going to make a catastrophe that causes these metaphysical changes?

If so -- then I'd say convert straight. Take this opportunity to evolve the character's personality -- how does the character react when he wakes up and suddenly he's lost some major portions of his power? You could go for the questing penitent, or become bitter and cynical... I think this could be a great instance for RP personality development.

Agback

Explorer
Cedric said:
The other characters are a...

9th level Ranger (elven)
9th level Fighter (half-orc)

<snip>

Ouch! How must these two poor saps feel with your horrid monster in the party?!

My guess is that the GM has got as sick as the other players are of playing a campaign about your character and his spear-carriers.

You've had a good run. Now things are getting evened out. Take it like a philosopher.

Regards,

Agback

Cedric

First Post
Actually, neither the GM nor the other players are "sick" of my character. The fact that I can do the things I can do has allowed us as a group to tackle things we never could have tackled.

In the end, the GM has just adjusted the power level to compensate. We are all very pleased with our characters and no one has ever expressed disgust or any other negative emotion towards my character.

While I can see some groups being upset or jealous playing with a character like mine. The fact still remains that my group doesn't feel this way.

The character is straight out of the book, I just got lucky. They know it could have happened to any of them.

I do appreciate all of the ideas here though, thanks a lot and keep them coming!

Cedric

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Have you thought about just taking a good magic item or a few decent ones for your character? This could prove to be a simple solution for this dilemma.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, from what I see it is that you've basically got a 18-19th level character in a slew of characters about 10 levels lower.

You're gonna hafta take a hit...you could just loose about 8 levels total (about 4 from each class), and you'd be close to where you need to be. Put a level or two in Psion, and you'll be OK. Then, take Mystic Theurge later down the line.

You're going to have to take a massive hit right now...but that shuold put you about where everyone else is. Then, it's just a matter of gaining levels until you're close to 18th level again and have nearly all of your powers back...:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads