• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I sincerely need some help...

Cedric

First Post
We are going to try for a variant of the Mystic Theurge, maybe not exactly like Angcuru's, but something similar maybe. As written my GM considers the Mystic Theurge to be overpowered.

We are just leaving psionics out all together. The GM does not want them in the campaign and all of the other players agree...as do I. I don't care for 3rd ed psionics.

If I was going to get hung up on having my character convert and be the same...I would just have to retire him then.

As is, going to convert and make the best of it. Thanks for the ideas...and if anyone has any more thoughts, please keep them coming.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Cedric said:
Actually, neither the GM nor the other players are "sick" of my character. The fact that I can do the things I can do has allowed us as a group to tackle things we never could have tackled.

In the end, the GM has just adjusted the power level to compensate. We are all very pleased with our characters and no one has ever expressed disgust or any other negative emotion towards my character.

While I can see some groups being upset or jealous playing with a character like mine. The fact still remains that my group doesn't feel this way.

The character is straight out of the book, I just got lucky. They know it could have happened to any of them.

I do appreciate all of the ideas here though, thanks a lot and keep them coming!

Cedric

You're in luck, then. You have a strong case for having something created that similuate any of the abilities you may be losing as the party becomes more balanced. If he isn't using psionics, maybe that artifact idea will work out. Something that mimics psionics but doesn't require the campaign to include them as a regular component.

Cedric

First Post
Well...

Since I spent 4 wishes improving my psionics, my GM is just going to let me convert those directly into a +4 inherent bonus to Wisdom.

As for a class, we worked out a compromise on the Mystic Theurge that we are tentatively calling the Arcane Thaumaturge.

Arcane Thaumaturge

Requirements:
Knowledge (Arcana) 8 Ranks; Knowledge (Religion) 8 Ranks

Ability to cast 3rd level Arcane and Divine spells.

Access to either the Magic, Spell or Knowledge Domains

Skills:
Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int, exclusive skill), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points 2+Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: None

Spells per Day:
The Arcane Thaumaturge will continue to gain levels as an Arcane or Divine caster, as detailed in the chart below. Furthermore, either Arcane or Divine must be designated as primary and the other secondary. The propagation of abilities depends on which is specified as primary.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Spells per Day
1st +0 +0 +0 +2 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 +1 level of existing primary spellcasting class
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 +1 level of existing secondary spellcasting class
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6th +3 +2 +2 +5 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
7th +3 +2 +2 +5 +1 level of existing primary spellcasting class
8th +4 +2 +2 +6 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9th +4 +3 +3 +6 +1 level of existing secondary spellcasting class
10th +5 +3 +3 +7 +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

At Second Level, the Arcane Thaumaturge adds ½ of his Cleric or Wizard/Sorcerer level (whichever is secondary) to the Effective Caster Level of his primary casting class. Example: When a 6th level cleric/5th level Wizard who designates Divine spells as primary makes 2nd level as an Arcane Thaumaturge, he will add +3 (5/2 rounded up) to his Effective Casting Level of Divine Spells.

At 4th level, the Arcane Thaumaturge adds one Domain, from the list, Magic, Knowledge and Spell.

At 7th level, the Arcane Thaumaturge adds ½ of his Cleric of Wizard/Sorcerer level (whichever is primary) to the Effective Caster Level of his secondary casting class.

At 9th level, the Arcane Thaumaturge gains a bonus feat, as chosen from the list of available bonus Wizard Feats.

Remove ads