D&D 5E I still want D&D and Beyond, but...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You don't think OGL 1.1 is about wringing more monetization from the tabletop sphere?

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, you know?
I don't think the OGL 1.1 is related to microtransactions or the clearly delineated path to make a billion dollars through video games, movies, tv shows, t-shirt. No. Why would anyone?

dave2008

Legend
Emphasis mine.

On this bit, if I may: #Dungeon23 doesn't have to have anything to do with D&D -- old, new, official, or 3PP. It is about dedicating a little time every day to creating something. Don't let this thing stop that.
While that is true, I am in a similar space as @bedir than and my creativity is just crushed at the moment. I'm having a real hard time moving forward. I need to move on/ move forward, but I just can't at the moment. Eventually I will do that myself, but I would feel a lot better about it, and it could happen quicker, if WotC would seriously reverse course.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I don't think the OGL 1.1 is related to microtransactions or the clearly delineated path to make a billion dollars through video games, movies, tv shows, t-shirt. No. Why would anyone?
Because it's aimed at eliminating competition, wringing out royalties and making sure that anything even remotely digital is their exclusive domain.

How is that not further monetizing the hobby?

Or, are you narrowly defining monetization as micro-transactions and the like? Because they already have that on DnDB and I'm sure there's more to come with their VTT anyway.

dave2008

Legend
Because it's aimed at eliminating competition, wringing out royalties and making sure that anything even remotely digital is their exclusive domain.
The funny thing is, I don't generally have an issue with these practices. That is what a company (public or private) should do typically. However, they created the OGL and it has been great. It was something different, and going back to business as usual just feels wrong. Mostly because so many have invested in it with the assumption they were protected.

Art Waring

halozix.com
While that is true, I am in a similar space as @bedir than and my creativity is just crushed at the moment. I'm having a real hard time moving forward. I need to move on/ move forward, but I just can't at the moment. Eventually I will do that myself, but I would feel a lot better about it, and it could happen quicker, if WotC would seriously reverse course.
With every day that goes by, that seems more unlikely. I think that they are deliberately staying silent until the 13th to see just how many companies sign the new agreement before they decide to make their own statement.

Reversing course for the company, that has been planning a complete centralization of their vtt, and then eliminating any competitors, is to them "bad business."

I don't think they are going to change their minds.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

How is that not further monetizing the hobby?

Or, are you narrowly defining monetization as micro-transactions and the like? Because they already have that on DnDB and I'm sure there's more to come with their VTT anyway.
Yes, I specifically used the word misinformation in regards to the online rage about microtransactions as pertains to the plan to get D&D to a billion dollar brand. That's not based in reality and yet up until the OGL debacle it was a frequent complaint about new leadership

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Yes.

And the language about how others respond.

Kobold Press saying they're raising their own flag and building is inspiring.
Rando screaming "I hope D&D dies, WotC deserves it for what they did to the game" is not inspiring.

dave2008

Legend
With every day that goes by, that seems more unlikely. I think that they are deliberately staying silent until the 13th to see just how many companies sign the new agreement before they decide to make their own statement.

Reversing course for the company, that has been planning a complete centralization of their vtt, and then eliminating any competitors, is to them "bad business."

I don't think they are going to change their minds.
That could be, but I hope your wrong. The fact that it has already been delayed says something I would guess.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter for me and my group. We can play our version of 5e for as long as we want and not buy another thing from WotC if that is the way we want to go. But right now it hurts.

The Scythian

Explorer
This is some of the misinformation that I find harmful and disappointing. The call was clear and specific about where D&D was undermonetized -- movies, tv shows, licensed goods, lifestyle. They spoke at length to those things.

Then the internet connects two statements that didn't occur anywhere near each other and goes into a rage
It's not misinformation.

In a video seminar for investors, WotC CEO Cynthia Williams said that D&D has never been as prominent as it is now, but that it's under monetized. Yes, she talked about licensing the D&D brand as part of the solution for that. But, another part of the solution was to create a recurrent spending environment to get players to spend more money. I have no idea how near to each other those statements are in terms of minutes, but that doesn't matter. The whole presentation was about how to make more money off of D&D, and creating a recurrent spending environment was presented as a way to do that.

Edit: I misremembered the presentation. Cynthia Williams is the President of WotC, not the CEO. Williams did not talk about licensing as a solution to under monetization, the CEO Chris Cocks talked about licensed products when explaining the differences between opportunities to monetize Magic: The Gathering and D&D. And I was referring to one part of a larger presentation, the majority of which was focused on MTG. The parts preceding the section about monetizing D&D were about MTG, and the part following it was Chris Cocks hyping the upcoming D&D movie.

Last edited:

Remove ads