D&D 5E I think 5E needs less innovation.

Reynard

Legend
5e's biggest obstacle isn't the future - it's the past.

I disagree. I think the deep tradition and history of D&D is what can ultimately save it. We have seen what innovation in the name of chasing a theoretical demographic results in: a fractured canvass and a D&D that drives many players away.

There is no elusive demographic just out of reach, waiting to discover D&D. New players will come from where they always have: existing players. Because of that fact, the more you alienate parts of your base with "innovation" the more likely that those new players -- the cousins and kids and nieces and nephews and younger siblings -- will be introduced instead to Pathfinder or Labyrinth Lord or whatever. By making the new version inclusive and traditional and less innovative, perhaps those introducers will be drawn back to D&D and introduce that instead.

enrious

The tradition and history can ultimately save it, yes.

It can also kill it.

You can't simply go one way or another, it's a tightrope you must walk, better than any thief-acrobat or making a 30 on your acrobatics check.

Aldarc

Legend
I disagree. I think the deep tradition and history of D&D is what can ultimately save it. We have seen what innovation in the name of chasing a theoretical demographic results in: a fractured canvass and a D&D that drives many players away.

There is no elusive demographic just out of reach, waiting to discover D&D. New players will come from where they always have: existing players. Because of that fact, the more you alienate parts of your base with "innovation" the more likely that those new players -- the cousins and kids and nieces and nephews and younger siblings -- will be introduced instead to Pathfinder or Labyrinth Lord or whatever. By making the new version inclusive and traditional and less innovative, perhaps those introducers will be drawn back to D&D and introduce that instead.
And the past has its set of problems: how do you go forward without simply reliving the past and its bygone glories?

Remove ads