• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I think we can safely say that 5E is a success, but will it lead to a new Golden Era?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
that is not an evergreen book. It's a new textbook for Psych 101, required reading at a massive number of colleges right now, and it's back to school week.

It's been out since 2009. It is not a textbook for Psych 101; it is a standard manual for formatting non-fiction.

We have lots of really good, hard data from a lot of top bestsellers who revealed their sales numbers on Amazon at different times of the year with different levels of competition, and they all roughly agree that the top book sells in the thousands of books per hour.

None of which you've ever properly cited. Any data like that is rough at best; I don't see any reason to accept it summarized second-hand.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's been out since 2009. It is not a textbook for Psych 101; it is a standard manual for formatting non-fiction.

I looked closer, and you're right, it's a textbook for ALL humanities, and required reading for a huge slew of classes. My point stands...and is probably stronger now in fact.

None of which you've ever properly cited. Any data like that is rough at best; I don't see any reason to accept it summarized second-hand.

You don't have to, like I said earlier, if you are curious go look for yourself. If not - then I am still waiting for you to cite any data yourself beyond your instincts.

Mistwell

Here is the New York Times best seller list for 2014. ...Strange how none of these are in the top over at Amazon.

From here.

However, the New York Times bestseller list is different. Not to better or worse...just different. It’s a different metrics system. No one knows exactly how this is compiled, but large publishers know certain things about getting onto the list, and that’s why you find many of the large publishers’ books on there. It is a well-known fact among publishers that the New York Times gets its book sales data from a scattered few bookstores (like the Nielsen’s) and it doesn’t take into account the actual sales of the books (which Amazon.com does in order to rank), but how many books were shipped to these particular sampling of stores in anticipation of sales.

The New York Times list heavily counts sales in select brick-and-mortar stores, so if your books aren’t in these particular bookstores, then chances of making the New York Times bestseller list are minimal. And being not as comprehensive as Amazon.com in the amount of titles overall (typically brick-and-mortar bookstores can only carry within each store itself on the average 175,000 titles) versus the 1 million plus titles Amazon.com carries, these brick-and-mortar bookstores are not able to carry all book titles to compare sales. Just last year, the New York Times began counting online sales along with books that are in brick-and-mortar. According to certain publishers and industry insiders, it takes about 20,000 books ordered during a week at these select bookstores to have a chance at the New York Times bestseller list. Savvy publishers, usually the top ones, know which bookstores. The rest of us have to guess. However, to many authors, including myself, who have sold well over 20,000 books (for me, just the Frost Series alone was over 20,000) on Amazon alone, that is a surprisingly low number. It’s nothing to sneeze about, but when you think New York Times, you typically think the book must have sold more than anyone else in all avenues, including the number one book on Amazon.

Another important difference is in the timing, as the New York Times compiles their list based on a week’s performance of a book, while the Amazon list is compiled by the hour.

Does being on Amazon.com’s bestselling list actually mean you are selling more than being on a New York Times list?

In some cases, yes. It boils down to Actual Sales (Amazon.com) vs. Anticipated Sales from select bookstores (New York Times).

While it is wonderful and prestigious to be called a New York Times bestselling author, and I applaud any author who does become one, it doesn’t mean that authors on other bestselling lists are not bestselling authors as well.

It simply means their books did not ship enough or fast enough to one of the bookstores The New York Times pulls data from.

John Locke and Amanda Hockings sold over a million books on Amazon.com. While John Locke made the New York Times list (he had the #1 bestselling book, Saving Rachel, for weeks on Amazon.com, and the rest of his series were bestsellers, he made the New York Times list, too. He also had paperback books out in stores, which can explain why he made the list). Amanda Hockings is an Amazon.com bestselling author, who did not make the New York Times bestselling list (despite selling over a million books. I know a lot of New York Times bestselling authors who are friends, and they didn’t come close to selling 1 million books like Amanda Hockings did).

So you see, the New York Times list is not always a reliable indicator of book sales.

Again, I'll say that arguing over early sales of 5E is missing the point. The point is whether 5E will coalesce the community into a single entity or whether it will simply further fragment it. The Amazon Bestseller list isn't going to tell us that. Seeing Pathfinder sales crater as people switch to 5E would be a far better indicator of 5E success. We won't see the real answer for a couple of months, whether 5E is going to be "The" D&D going forward or just one competing option among many.

Mistwell

You claim to have the data; why shouldn't you cite some data beyond your instincts first?

I did. Repeatedly. You didn't like it enough. Which is fine, but you're in no position to make demands. My opinion is formed from having researched the topic a lot, I mentioned Hugh Howey's reports, I mentioned another article above on the related point of the meaning of the various best seller lists and their measurement methods - the most you've done is list the top movies. Is this a conversation, or you just dictating what people need to bring you? None of what I have said is based on just my instincts. Let's see something from you that is based on more than just your pure instincts.

Or don't. In which case, let the point drop.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I did. Repeatedly.

If you go back a few pages, I showed you the APA format for a citation. The reason academics created such an elaborate format is because they got tired of cites like "Hugh Howey's reports" and worse yet "My opinion is formed from having researched the topic a lot" and decided that at the very least, naming specifically what you've researched by author name, title and year are necessary.

Remove ads