I voted!

I'm a member of the "Pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons Crowd" who neither lives in the United States nor possesses an American citizenship. Where do I vote?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted- it took only about 10 minutes. That's travel, line, and travel home. Loved it!

As for why I voted, why I said
VOTING: its not just a right, its a duty.
in my original post:

1) I'm black- being allowed to vote in this country is relatively new for us, and was a hard won victory that involved actual fatalities. Not voting risks not being able to vote.

2) When I was in HS, Nat Geo had a story about the biggest democracy in the world- India. Ignoring whatever you may believe about the quality of their society, according to that article, they have over 90% turnout, including people who have to be carried from their sickbeds to vote.

3) Nobody is threatening the average American voters with being killed on their way to the polls. There were people threatening the voters of Iraq not that long ago...yet they proudly displayed their blue thumbs.

For an able-bodied American not to vote in the light of 2 or 3 is, to me, unthinkable and embarrassing. For a black man like myself, the number of people who died so that I can vote is just that much more reason.

I simply can't "not vote."

Besides, for those who still feel disenfranchised, the vote is your best chance for empowerment!

Imagine- if everyone who didn't vote this time around + those who voted for a GOP or Dem candidate because their real candidate couldn't win voted for the same candidate, that candidate would win and win BIG.

Anywhoo- the polls are starting to close, so this election's Rubicon has basically been crossed. I may not like whomever gets elected, but he is ours for the next 4 years.

I hope he gets it right!

Steve Jung

Explorer
I voted in the morning before I went to work. To my surprise there was actually a line. Usually voters are outnumbered by poll workers at my polling place. Of course, the line was only about a dozen people. I saw a young woman get her picture taken in front of the building, so she must have been a first time voter, which was cool. Later that day I went over to Starbucks to get my free voter coffee.

dema

First Post
I voted my first time, it's weird because I worked the polls in the past but never had the urge to vote. This time I did. My wife is deeply depressed about losing her job and we are going through some difficult times, but due to the unemployment benefits and my secure job we can stay afloat for the next 5 months. Good luck to your candidate.

Wombat

First Post
I voted

I have missed two minor, off-term elections in my life since I was able to vote (I am about to turn 50); other than that, I have I have cast my ballot every time.

I need to vote all the time -- it is my license to to kvetch about the government. ;)

And it felt good, as usual, to vote. :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I voted, as I have in every election I've been able to legally participate in.

Afterwards, I made damn sure to get my due from voting - that free coffee from Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, and I don't want to, but no way I'll miss a chance to cash in when the opportunity presents itself.

Merkuri

Explorer
Afterwards, I made damn sure to get my due from voting - that free coffee from Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, and I don't want to, but no way I'll miss a chance to cash in when the opportunity presents itself.

So... did you just get the coffee and spill it out on the sidewalk? :p

Stormborn

Explorer
We voted and it went very fast. I think the primary vote took longer. Perhaps it was the time of day, but no problems and noone I talked to had any problems either. My wife declined her sticker, so as to cut down on waste. I took mine for the sake of tradition and wore it home, but threw it away later. When I first started voting I kept up with my stickers, but in various moves they were long lost.

Remove ads