I voted!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Big Brother is always watching.....

More importantly for this thread, the mods are watching.

I had been hoping that folks could be mature about this, and note some of their voting experience without getting into the actual politics. I'm seeing some signs that perhaps I was incorrect to leave this open.

Please, don't confirm my fears. Keep it clean, folks.

Treebore

First Post
I voted. Since it is such a small town I was in and out in about 10 minutes. No lines. Immediately signed in, got my ballot, filled it out, turned it in, and went home. Plus I got my "I Voted!" sticker, and have been wearing it all day.

awayfarer

First Post
As Merkuri mentioned, we got up early to vote because I was supposed to attend a reading of some play for my Theatre 251 (playwriting) class.
Some genius realized at the last second that maybe staging the reading on election night was a badidea and it was rescheduled. :p

We didn't actually have to get up that early, but judging by the heavy turnout it was probably for the best. I don't even want to know what it's like down at the polling station now that everyone is out of work for the night.

One odd note: it seems like every single time I vote the ballots have changed. Say, from "fill in the bubble" one year to "punch out the hole" to "make a check mark" etc. Anyone else experience this?

drothgery

First Post
One odd note: it seems like every single time I vote the ballots have changed. Say, from "fill in the bubble" one year to "punch out the hole" to "make a check mark" etc. Anyone else experience this?

No, but since it's quick and easy to register as a permanent absentee voter in California, I did that a few years ago. The only reason I waited until this weekend to mail in my ballot was because I ran out stamps, and the consequences of not paying the rent are rather more immediate than those for not voting.

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
I didn't have to wait at my precinct, but I was the 630th person to vote there. I don't know what the usual numbers are, but it's a small precinct, and I doubt it usually gets that kind of turnout. Local news showed some city polls with lines around the block.

Even though neither candidate espouses my views entirely, I feel more excited and optimistic about this election than either of the ones I voted in before. No matter who wins, history will be made tonight.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It's great to see news pictures of people queuing to vote - so often associated with countries who are just getting the vote for the first time!

I hope you guys get a record voter turnout this year.

Cheers

Glyfair

Explorer
Did you? :)

Awayfarer and I usually vote after work/school but this year he was required to stay at school late for a class assignment so he wouldn't be getting back until the polls closed, so we got up early. I have to say, I was surprised at the number of voters who were there before 8AM.

I voted before 8. My D&D game was tonight and the timing is such that I didn't think I would have time between getting home and my game. As it turns out, we had pretty good luck with turnaround time. In the morning it took me about 10 minutes. My brother went about 5ish and it took less time.

I admit, two of the other election districts had longer lines when I was there in the morning. Also, a woman in front of me wasn't on the list (they quickly set her up with a blank ballot to be reviewed later).

Aw, they didn't give us stickers! :p
Here in DE they don't have stickers. They had an article on the local newpaper's website discussing it (since some companies are giving free stuff to those who show their "I voted" sticker). The general decision was that there would be a lot of work in printing the stickers and making sure they were allocated. While it would be "gravy" (and they did do metal pins one year), they'd rather spend the manpower on making sure the voting process goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Remove ads