• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want more Vile!

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
I am a big proponent of the BoVD and use it almost every session I run but I am little disappointed that there hasn’t been any more vile and or mature stuff in the pages of Dragon since issue # 300. Perhaps I just haven’t given them enough time or maybe they are afraid of the repercussions. Any way the point of this thread is to ask two questions.

1. Does anyone know whether WoTC or Dragon has any plans to release any other vile material?

And

2. Are there any D20 products that are similar that any of you could recommend

Thanks

Dirge

Sagan Darkside

First Post
BLACKDIRGE said:

I like Mongoose's Demonology book as well as AEG's Evil and Undead.

People often have high praise for the Green Ronin demon books.

Quint Psi-Warrior has some grotesque aspects to it.

Good luck
SD

Darrin Drader

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:

1. Does anyone know whether WoTC or Dragon has any plans to release any other vile material?

1. Not that I know of, thanks to all the whining and statements that likened issue 300's vile content to terrorism (one of the most assinine diatribes I've witnessed in quite some time).

2. If you like adventures, quite a bit of Necromancer Games' stuff and Hell in Freeport. Non adventures include Green Ronin's Legions of Hell, Armies of the Abyss, and AEG's Evil.

Olive

Explorer
as a fellow BoVD fan, i really recommend the GR Books of Fiends. Great stuff, especially in the armies of the abyss.

I'd be surprised if there was any more BoVD type stuff from Wizards, but mostly because they've produced a book with core rules for things (sacrifice, drug use, possesion, torture) and I'm not sure what a second book would have in it. BoVD is like a toolkit of vile rules, much like MotP is a tool kit of planar rules or OA is a toolkit of Oriental rules, and I'd be surprised if they released any more on any of those topics either.

Iron_Chef

First Post
I too, want more Vile stuff!

WoTC's Call of Cthulhu d20 game has a bunch of vile and corrupt spells, creatures, items and gods in it with rules on how to adapt them to D&D. Great book.

The Green Ronin books Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss are both great. Mongoose's Demonology is okay but not really worth the extra effort to implement the new rules. AEG's EVIL has better, easier rules for summoning/binding demons, as well as a (poorly written) Demon Summoner PrC and a Bargainer PrC for those who wish to corrupt others and trade in souls for power (much better written). There are a lot of Infernal feats one can gain from pacts with fiends as well. Beware of awful typos as usual with AEG, however.

Check out Dragon #295 (red dragon on cover burning a castle) for Sean K Reynold's Gingwatzim in the Living Greyhawl Journal. These are ethereal creatures that can be enslaved on the prime as guards or magic items. A little DM work is necessary but they can be changed from air elementals native to the Ethereal Plane into demons, devils, daemons or other fiends of comparable power. Also in that article is Sean's "Catoboligne" demon, a sneaky non-Tanaa-ri used as guardians on the prime.

Green Ronin's Plot & Poison: Guide to Drow is awesome and has many vile PrCs like the Submissive and Dominant (for the S&M bondage crowd, LOL), as well as a Master Summoner PrC. New feats, new spells, new poisons, new nasty magic items (including a completely new and streamlined way to handle magic item creation superior to the core rules). Rules on how to create tortured magic items out of living creatures or undead, how to suck XP out of willing or unwilling subjects to powqer magic item creation, and more. A fabulous book; most of it can be adapted for non-drow use, too!

Fast Forward's Encylopedia of Demons & Devils II has PrCs, new spells and a ton of demon and devil lords, ladies and minions. It's pretty good.

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Olive said:
as a fellow BoVD fan, i really recommend the GR Books of Fiends. Great stuff, especially in the armies of the abyss.

I'd be surprised if there was any more BoVD type stuff from Wizards, but mostly because they've produced a book with core rules for things (sacrifice, drug use, possesion, torture) and I'm not sure what a second book would have in it. BoVD is like a toolkit of vile rules, much like MotP is a tool kit of planar rules or OA is a toolkit of Oriental rules, and I'd be surprised if they released any more on any of those topics either.

Yeah I have heard a lot about the gree ronin stuff, I will certainly check those out.

You are probably right about continued support for the BoVD but i would still like to see some vile studd in dragon every now and then.

Here is another question. If someone, like myself for instance, where to submit a vile or mature article to Dragon, would it be rejected for its vile content alone? As Baraendur pointed out there was a lot of negative reaction from issue 300.

Thanks

Dirge

Darrin Drader

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:
Here is another question. If someone, like myself for instance, where to submit a vile or mature article to Dragon, would it be rejected for its vile content alone? As Baraendur pointed out there was a lot of negative reaction from issue 300.

If this month's issue is any indication, they'll likely consider the material if they're doing an evil themed issue soon. They just won't call it vile so as to not provoke the reactionaries. Of course with this month's issue focusing so much on evil, there's a pretty good likelyhood that we won't be seeing this theme again for a few more issues at least.

Thresher

First Post
I'd agree with AEG's Evil and Undead as being highly recommended.

If you can still find a copy, dunno if its still being made but 'Kult' was a good dark-horror RPG back in its day that you could yoink a lot of ideas out of.

PsionicMonk

First Post
I was under the impression that the City of Sin product mentioned in Savage Species might be related to the BOVD.

I'm not sure if I heard that or just thought it.

Has anyone else heard information about this product?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads