• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General I want to fire a player.

Dire Bare

Legend
Anyone else find the term "firing a player" weird?
Nope.

It's a turn of phrase, one that immediately let us know the situation. It's just fine.

The reasons OP is considering firing a player are the same sorts of reasons an employer might fire an employee. Hell, as a manager, I've had to fire friends from our workplace . . . that was definitely not fun!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Nope.

It's a turn of phrase, one that immediately let us know the situation. It's just fine.

The reasons OP is considering firing a player are the same sorts of reasons an employer might fire an employee. Hell, as a manager, I've had to fire friends from our workplace . . . that was definitely not fun!
I'm usually the GM, but I'm certainly not the boss of the players! We are a group of friends who decide to do some activity together, but no one has social authority over the others.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm usually the GM, but I'm certainly not the boss of the players! We are a group of friends who decide to do some activity together, but no one has social authority over the others.
To me, the ideal RPG gaming group would be fully collaborative. And many groups approach that. But the classic D&D dynamic is that the DM runs the game, hosts the game, and calls the shots. It can be dictatorial, or more like a manager or theatre director . . . not everybody plays that way, sure, but to pretend it isn't the baseline is a bit silly.

And, OP makes it clear that this isn't just him making the decision, it's coming from his entire gaming group. Sounds like he'd have to make the final call, but he isn't doing it in a vacuum.

Any group can decide how "social authority" gets divvied up. Either making decisions collaboratively, or giving one person the responsibility of managing the group.

And I find it amusing that some of you aren't taking exception to OP's dilemma or proposed actions to solve it . . . . it's just the turn of phrase itself that folks are tut-tutting over.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
To me, the ideal RPG gaming group would be fully collaborative. And many groups approach that. But the classic D&D dynamic is that the DM runs the game, hosts the game, and calls the shots. It can be dictatorial, or more like a manager or theatre director . . . not everybody plays that way, sure, but to pretend it isn't the baseline is a bit silly.
I don't know if it is the baseline. Personally, I would not care to participate in such a group, but - as they say - to each their own.

And I find it amusing that some of you aren't taking exception to OP's dilemma or proposed actions to solve it . . . . it's just the turn of phrase itself that folks are tut-tutting over.
I was simply discussing this tangent and not the OP specific questions.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Invite your pal out to hang…go see a movie. Have dinner with him. Then play D&D and not invite him. Rinse and repeat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads