• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want to set people on fire.

jrients

First Post
Testament said:
Wizards are good, but there simply isn't enough gold or spellbooks found in LG for it to be a really successful build. Not unless you've got some kickin' metaorgs in your region and/or you regularly play with wizards.

Out of curiosity, what region and metaregion are you in?

I'll check into the metaorg thing. I know there's some sort of arcane academy I can maybe sign up for. I'm in Verbobonc on the Tuflik, Fals, and Velverdyva Trade Route.

Thanks for all the interesting ideas, folks. I'll have to take a close look at all the feats suggested. I like the sound of energy substitution, if for no other reason than I think throwing firebolts and lightning balls is kinda cute. Or acid ball. That just sounds too wrong to pass up even if it's a step away from my original firemage concept.

Warlocks and psionics dudes aren't allowed in LG, so warmage, hexblade, wizard, and sorcerer look to be my main options. Druid and flame-lobbing rogue are nifty alternatives I hadn't considered.

jrients

First Post
Thanee said:
A very reasonable rule. :D

Hey, now! I ain't trying to start a flamewar here! Some people really like psionicists. Just 'cause I'd sooner play a flumph* doesn't make them wrong and me right. More importantly, psionics haven't really been a core piece of Greyhawk.

*No seriously. Just this morning I was thinking about statting up a flumph paladin. Named Mortimer.

jrients

First Post
rowport said:
Dude. Cool. Forget the spellcaster- how can you beat a flumph paladin?? :cool:

Alas, flumphs aren't approved for PCs in Living Greyhawk. I'm definitely going to use this idea in my home campaign though.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would note that my suggestions (burning hands, flaming sphere, wall of fire, summoning fire elementals) are all much closer to the title request... they all allow you to set people on fire!

Scorching ray is a nice spell for doing fire damage, but it doesn't set people alight, nor does fireball.

We're not just talking about doing damage, we're talking about full-on burninating here guys!

Cheers

milo

First Post
What about the pyro feat in the song and silence from 3e or would that be allowed. I don't think it works with spells, but your character could carry around vials of alchemists fire.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads