D&D 5E "I would play in a 5e game with no caster classes at all" (a poll)

I would play in a 5e game with no caster classes at all.

• Yes

Votes: 119 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Votes: 6 3.5%

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
In all honesty, probably not. I don't have any issues playing in games where a system lacking casters is used & don't generally mind if a gm disallows certain class/archetype/etc based on interesting lore. A game where the gm bans caster classes is one I would listen to skeptically to decide if the GM understands the crunch well enough to have enough understanding of the problem they think is being solved of if there are interesting lore reasons for it.

Even in darksun where it can be a monumentally bad idea to play a caster doesn't ban casters, it gives cool lore reasons why playing a caster is going to be an interesting ordeal & sets up measures such a caster would need to regularly take in order to protect themselves.
What if the theme of the campaign is hunting magic users?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What if the theme of the campaign is hunting magic users?
Could work, I'd want to know more. Why are they being hunted? what makes them a problem that needs hunting? They are hunted in Darksun& still playable. Fiction is packed with things like drizzt or buffy & spike/buffy & angel. Then you've got examples Like Jayne from firefly who was literally a bad guy starting out to the point that the actor himself didn't know if Mal was only going to scold him instead of spacing him in the biggest role he'd had up to that point

Oofta

Legend
I don't see why not. I enjoy all types of characters, the actual mechanics of the PCs involved are secondary to the story and the group dynamics. I still haven't had a chance to play a barbarian, although I keep threatening my DM for ToA that if he kills off my monk I'm going play Ole, the nicest barbarian with the worst accent you've ever met. :)

aco175

Legend
I would play in a game like that. I would like it to still have magic like potions of healing and +1 swords though. I could also see where it could creep into having Lay on Hands become some sort of plant salve instead of magic. Some other magic could be justified.

1660099860796.png

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This game would be fine, the magic classes are great and all, but you can easily play a game without them. This would also give me a reason to play the schalar class by Benjamin Huffman. There's actually a few scenarios that I can think of which I think would be cool to run in this situation.
  • The thieves guild, rogues and warriors with the criminal background performing jobs in a city campaign.
  • The mercenary company, doing the jobs no one else wants to.
  • Ordinary adventure group. No reason that these guys couldn't exist, could easily run the various official adventures with a no spells group.
  • Sword and sorcery, the adventures of the Conan knock-off. Little magic in the world, the strength of your sword arm will determine success. In this case, there may be evil sorcerers that the team can overcome, but otherwise they're rare enough that they won't be travelling with them on adventures.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I feel this poll leads to a subsequent question:

Would you play in a game where everyone had to play a full caster? (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard.)

Because if the answer to that question is "no" or even middling...I am quite confused by the ENWorld 5e fanbase.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases