D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: ... well then...

The enormous clown starts moonwalking towards the room. As he gets closer you can feel the temperature drop and the laughing continue to echo throughout the chamber. An audience in all directions an be heard.

"BAZINGA!"

When Esarkess seems to the only one not paralyzed in fear or laughter the creature pauses, its head turning around independent of its body. Suddenly the room becomes silent and its eyes lock with Esarkess as the thing stills itself.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I didn't roll because I thought Ersarkess was unconcious - I'm becoming warlock of the king in yellow it seems, anything to save a family

"Umm, bravo!! Excellent show!" Ersarkess gets up on his feet (with some effort) clapping

Creamsteak

Explorer
Esarkess finds himself transposed in position with the clown. The clown applauding and Esarkess contorted, but neither of you show any injuries.

"Bravo indeed. Encore. To play the part for these two meddlers so well! A great victory under false pretenses! But alas, your cousins has died! The tragic hero seeking knowledge, and yet these pulled the wool over your eyes..."

The monster stands and walks towards the twins grabbing the top of each one with his hands. He pulls upword like pulling a sheet off a dining table. The children are still... children, but masked in diamonds and hearts... jesters garb not that different from the towering monster before you.

"What did we say about playing with our meal?" the towering entity chides the children.

The children respond in unison.

"Not before the are ripe..."

The monster turns back to Esarkess.

"You, sir, are extremely lucky. You survive the touch of the tears of god, the assault of a vile sorcerer, the meddling of the twin sides of the coin, and now stand before me as I come to take your relations soul to the black library so that he can learn what he always wanted to in life."

He bows backwards and not forwards, as much as his massive form allows.

"I am called the great fool, and I have foolishly had my heart stolen this day by you. The twins have disobeyed our edict, and they shall be rightly disciplined. Perhaps they would have granted you a gift as their pawns, but the twins are like two sides to a coin... weal and woe. I simply seek amusement in all its forms, and you have granted me more than many others. Allow this poor fool to grant you something nice? Something you wish to make real? A gift for your performance."

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ersarkess thinks furiously for the moment. On one hand, creatures like these rarely grant anything without strings attached. On the other, he just lost his cousin and that is worth a little risk. And who knows, maybe he gets lucky and the creature is really in good mood.

He bows toward The Fool
"It would be really nice if you could reverse what the twins wrought..." he takes Thael in his hands kneeling next to his cousins body
"...and delay his learning in the black library until such time his natural time is up? There is plenty to learn in this life, in this place and he may be better learner and better amusement once he lives through some experiences. Also, we all make mistakes while young. Don't be too harsh on the twins - I believe they wanted some fun, not any real harm."

He stops expectantly, but his curiosity gets better of him.
"I would ask few questions if you can spare the time, but first and foremost I'd like Thael back."

EDIT: terrible wording - what if he reverses all of it (including the sorcerer) or even full back before the sinking of the town if that was their work? :)

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: Yeah pretty much.

"Undo what the twins have wrought! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

The creature cackles a bit and it rights itself. It gestures towards the children.

"What say you? Play the game again? From the beginning?"

The two child-jesters seem to shrug.

"Roll the dice again then..."

Suddenly you find yourself in a familiar place. The sound of hundreds of workers can be heard in the north-eastern corner of Ashwell. A wall is under construction, both here and elsewhere in the city. The stone is a mix of local material, some excavated from the ruins, and imported granite from a quarry several hundred miles away. The noise is unbearably loud to most of the city, the work occurring during the early morning hours for the most part. It will take several months for the walls to be in place, then more time for proper gatehouses to be constructed, and still longer for the entire city to hit some semblance of rest.

Things are only slightly quieter inside "The Edge of Dispater", an inn on the north east corner of the city. While often populated by drinking laborers during the night, during the day the inn is a bit more peaceful. The proprietor is a fat balding man, but one who seems handsome and distinguished in his own certain way. He goes by the name of Pete, and wears the civilized garb of a Conriyan settler. A number of books are stacked on two shelves behind the bar.

The inn and tavern is occupied by a few strange souls.

An exceptionally aged man with pale skin and silvery hair sits at one corner of the establishment carefully steeping tea and using the liquid to soften hard stale pieces of bread he slowly slurps into his mouth. The book bag at his hip is marked with the Holy Circumfix, a symbol of a religion that exalts a man who had become a god. He looks kindly, though his body is marked with faded ink of some sort.

A dark skinned green eyed merchant of sorts has a small table with four accompanying guards, one of which has three tiny clean skulls hanging from a net bag on his belt. The other three guards are all huge brutal looking men with unique head tatoos, though they wear no arms or armor. These Zeumi travelers smell of incense and soap, clearly not native to this area.

Esarkess wakes up beside a small metallic sphere clutched in the palm of his hand. A memory that he had taken revenge... and yet... he now feels that this has been taken from him by his own hands.

OOC: Esarkess ascends to level 2 and gains the trait "Judging" allowing him to hold his Chorae without being harmed.

Thael remembers seeing the outside... the place beyond this world... dark and full of creatures he can't quite bring his mind to understand any longer. What definitely remains in his memory is their hunger. That they raised mortals like wheat to make their bread. That they flavored their meals with love and fear. His only saving grace having been that one of these creatures had taken a liking to him.

OOC: Thael ascends to level 2 and gains the ability to cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter as a cantrip of all things. The trait is Cegorach's Smile.

Raghnall the fight with the devils and the sorcerer and vows not to ever let such creatures stand against him.

OOC: Raghnall ascends to level 2. He has advantage on melee attacks against concentrating targets. The trait is Spellbreaker.

Kilvo specifically remembers shredding that sorcerer with his cannon and would gladly do that again.

OOC: Kilvo ascends to level 2 and gains Oponn's Luck: any time you would roll a d20 on an attack roll or saving throw you can instead flip a coin (1d2). On a 1, you can't use this ability again till you take a long rest and any natural 20 you roll for the rest of the day is treated as a 1. On a 2, the result of the roll is as if you rolled a natural 20.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Raghnall looks around the room his jaw slack, what had just occurred. Raghnall heads over to the merchants to claim his reward. Hoping the feeling of gold in his hand will cement reality.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The merchants look to the Scylvendi strangely. [sblock=Scylvendi]"Greetings Scylvendi. I am Silat of the Zeum. You are a stranger in strange lands, as am I, yes?"[/sblock]

Remove ads