D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

GreenKarl

First Post
Belgo gets excited at Ulfred's words and starts asking Caranthir to tell a tale of the enchanted woods, with or without man-eating grasses. "Oh I heard back in town that there are trees that move and sing at night. Is that true Master Caranthir?? Do you know any stories about walking trees? Do they eat people??"

Beldor simply smiles lightly. As night overtakes the forest, deep shadows stretch over the campsite. Ursa feels a cold shadow deep in the forest as she has many nights but tonight it seems... close. Not like just outside the camp but within a few miles. Caranthir with his Elf Sight notes that darkness is falling the nearby stream has a soft glow upon it. The others don't seem to notice this. Ulfred's gaze was at the small patch of the night's sky that he could see through the canopy - the stars shinning bright above. It would be very cold tonight and he thought there would be frost in the camp by morning...

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa shivers, and she looks around with concern.

"Stay close to me," she says to Belgo softly, protectively. "Something is haunting the forest, and I don't want it to find us tonight."

The warrior woman looks at Ulfred and Caranthir. "Beorn has taught me how to scout ahead without moving from my spot, but I will be vulnerable then. Will you watch over me?"

With that, Ursa finds a comfortable spot to rest, her axe within easy reach and the boy to her other side, and very softly she starts humming an eldritch tune. This goes on for a few minutes, and then suddenly stops. She seems to be deep in sleep, and all is quiet until a bear moves out of nearby bushes and away from the group at a trod.

OOC: Night-goer virtue, to swiftly explore an area within three days of travel in spirit bear form, until sunrise wakes Ursa. She will try to stay out of harms way (because any damage suffered is transferred to her body at the moment of awakening) and try to find out what the 'cold shadow' in the woods is, without engaging it.

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred wrapped his fur lined cloak tightly around him. “Best layer up if you can, it’s going to be a cold one tonight.”

Nodding to Ursa, Ulfred flashed a smile, “We will watch over you my friend, may Beorn grant you safe travels.” Turning to the others Ulfred nodded, “It’s nights like these that make me wish I had a magical flask that never ran dry . . .alas my flask is full of water and my bones are chilled, but tomorrow, tomorrow will be a grand day.”

OOC:
Don’t know if she will need it be able to use it but Ulfred will grant Ursa an inspiration die

GreenKarl

First Post
The heroes along with Beldor and his son set in for the night. Ursa staring into the fire enters a deep trance as her spirit bear leaves her and forms just outside the camp. It swiftly moves off into the woods and began exploring. Back in camp the others have settled into their beds as Caranthir watches to stream with a weary eye. The night is indeed cold and a light fog form around the woods of the camp.

Ursa sees many great beast in her wandering -- mighty stags and herds of skittish deer, pack of grey wolves stalking a pair wild boars, game birds and ground animals in great abundance. The forest is alive. But she also sees shadows that fill her with dread -- still live elk encased in thick webs hanging high in a tree, a small clearing blighted black with unwholesome rot, a dead fox with vile reddish pus leaking from its mouth and open sores across its body. As the night wears on she comes up a ancient structure. At first she thought it was simply a hill but then she could make out the walls and old buildings covered over with vegetation and thick ivory vines. There was a great coldness and evil feel about this place. The enemy was strong here. As the bear notices the first glow of the rapidly approaching morning she hears the scurrying of multiple legs and the smell of rotting flesh and -- something.

Within the camp the night past without event except the dropping of the temperature and slight thickening of the fog. The elf was startled a bit by a soft cry from the sleeping figures as Beldor rolled out of his bedroll and stomped his feet. "Blenky enough fer snow I reckon" he mutters too himself before notice the elf. Striding towards Caranthir and speaking in a low tone not to wake the others "Sorry lad, I had me a bad dream. And then to wakes to this cold. Humpf. Wells I be awake now might as well see to the packs aye?"

With that the old man moves over and starts organizing the groups packs, checking ties and knots, and grabs a bite to eat. After a few minutes to heads to the tree line to take care of his morning business...

A still falls over the camp as the deep darkness of the night begins to fade. To the elf's eyes the stream still has a strange glow about it as so too now the fog seems to take on this glow. Caranthir has never seen such a wonder before, yet he remains wary of it, not really understanding what old magic this might be.

The silence of the camp is broken a great cry of fear. Glancing towards the tree line Caranthir sees that Bedlor has moved towards where the stream entered the clearing and had just stood straight up and cried out in fear. His lips and chin where wet where he had just taken a drink from the running water. He was looking about in a confused and frightened state. "Where am I..." he said.

Belgo and Ulfred had both been awoken by Beldor's cry, the young lad blinking wildly saying "What is it father?" The old man looked at the boy with fear and then at the elf and human in the camp. "Who are you? Where am I? Where... there is fire under the Mountain! Those fools have woken the dragon! I must find Halla! I... you’ve kidnapped me! You rogues! Where is my son Belgo?" The man then looks about and bolts back into the trees!!!

GM: Its almost morning when Ursa came upon the ruins. She thinks its a couple of miles south of the camp. Kind of a bit of meta with Beldor whom bolts before anyone can do anything... Heroes actions? Remember only Ulfred and Caranthir are awake right now. Ursa can be awoke with an actions. And then there is young Belgo...

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred woke with a start at Beldor’s cry, his head clearer than normal as it was not laden by the residue of a night of drinking. “What in the blazes,” Ulfred muttered as he shook Ursa in an attempt to wake her.

“Belgo, don’t do anything foolish, best to stay calm and stay with Ursa and I.”

OOC:
Ulfred will use his action to try to shake Ursa awake.

Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
As the bear-spirit Ursa was watching, a shadowy form of -- something big -- started crawling over the ruined walls of the structure. She heard the low hiss of it -- when suddenly she was awake and back in camp! Ulfred was gently shaking her out of her trance...

Tesseract

First Post
Caranthir

Caranthir hops to his feet. His first thought is to go running after the man who seems to not know him. But, he instead waits for the others to ready themselves before heading into the unknown.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Disoriented by the sudden waking, Ursa growls softly, bear-like, before coming to her senses.

"Wha- what's going on?" she says to Ulfred, then turns to Belgo. "Stay with me, boy. Get out your practice sword and follow my lead."

Quickly she grabs her own axe and gets up, looking around to see what's going happening. All thoughts of the evil she witnessed just before waking are far away now, although they will return when things settle down.

GreenKarl

First Post
The trio quickly gathered up their gear and within a few moments, they headed into the forest to follow Beldor. Normally they might have been slowed attempting to track someone through the woods but in Beldor's case he trampled through the muddy ground near the stream, leaving a deep footprints even a Dwarf could follow. Ursa quickly figured that the poor fellow was heading straight towards the ruined structure she had seen in her bear and that the man was running flat out through the trees in a blind panic. Could the man's heart take such extremes?

Within half an hour of following his obvious tracks through the dark woods they suddenly end as if the man disappeared completely or learned to fly... looking about their were some thick strands of web here and there where the merchant disappeared.

GM: A successful DC 10 Intelligence (Investigation) check
[sblock=success]Baldor blundered into a spider-web at such speed that he pulled the web off the trees it was anchored to. Looking around finds drag marks on the ground. He must have gotten tangled up in the web, then something dragged him off deeper into the woods.[/sblock]

The heroes then heard a scream some distance in front of them, Belgo muttering in fear "Father..." Ursa recognized the area as very close to the old ruins where she had sensed the shadows. It was only past the crop of dark trees before them.

Just beyond, in a small clearing before the ruins themselves, Heimdar shock his head in confusion. Where am I? he thought as he seemed to become aware of his surroundings once again. It was the cry of panic and fear that seemed to have broken whatever spell had been upon him. Glancing that way he spotted a ancient ruins of some bygone structure on the other side of the clearing from where he stood. Something entrapped within a cocoon of webbing was being dragged over one of the plant chocked walls and its muffled cries were of Danish origins!

GM: OK introducing Heimdar character. In this setting and for the game here everyone will probably be able to see the others as all on the same side (in opposing the Shadow) as it where.
The main group may come bursting through the tree line or approach with stealth. If so, everyone needs to make a Stealth roll. This will be verses Heimdar's and the others Passive Perception.

Heroes Actions?

Remove ads