D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil II

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thaliss releases his familiar from the void where it spends mos of its time, and sends it flying to the west of the room to investigate.

OOC: Thaliss spends an action concentrating and seing through the familiar's eyes, to see if there is a passage west of AR13. Then he'll direct it to take a look at the bottom of the chasm to see if there is anything of interest

Creamsteak

Explorer
The pathway to the east is actually your origin in this case.

Thaliss familiar moves into the chasm and finds several skeletons broken or half-buried in the floor. Most are dwarves and orcs in badly rusted armor.

The familiar draws the attention of three gargoyles perched in the cavern 50 feet above the bridge-level. They peer down into the darkness, not quite able to see the familiar.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    540.6 KB · Views: 166

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Carradoc hears Thaliss mention the gargoyles, and then continues sending the eye south (to AW 19). "If we were quick, we could almost make it to the other side with a quick dash," he suggests. "Let me ensure that there would not be any unexpected enemies awaiting us."

Creamsteak

Explorer
A massive pair of stone doors lies broken just south of this small plaza, flanking by iron torches that brightly illuminate the area. One door lists unevenly on its bottom hinge, and the other lies shattered on the ground. The standing door is carved with a pastoral scene of grain fields and rolling hills, worn and pitted by the centuries. A large, dimly lit hall waits beyond the broken gates. Arrow slits are carved into the west and east walls.

The arcane eye scouts forward. The owl clearly notices the ledge and arrow slit on the western side of the cavern.

The area further in...

This was once a magnificent hall with a soaring ceiling, marble floors, and intricate carvings of prosperous farmlands decorating the walls. It has since fallen to ruin. Deep cracks mar the walls, sections of the masonry have collapsed, and the huge stone doors at the north end of the hall are broken. Passages lead west and south, and there is a stone door to the east. A small cooking fire and several bedrolls are in the southeast corner of the room.

Four hobgoblins, a Bulette, and a rider guard this room. They don't seem to be paying any extra attention to anything (sorry didn't notice these guys were not on the map yet).

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thaliss indeed mentions the gargoyles as he telepatically orders his familiar to return. He then creates an illusory layout of the first room, and highlights a point where there seems to be a hidden room. Telepathically, for all to hear I think it is in our best interest to clear out the rooms, when feasible, as we progress. This way, we will have a safe exit. If you look here, there seems to be a room. Kubeba, you can climb on walls, care to take a look? We can provide cover from here

OOC: Thaliss is pointing at AK 16-17. It really seems to me that there is something there

Creamsteak

Explorer
Further examination...

A large pile of rubble from a partially collapsed wall fills the southeast corner of this guardroom, while a narrow fissure mars the wall to the north. Despite these failings, the room serves as a barracks and guardroom. Four plain wooden bunks are arrayed around the room, each with a small footlocker. At the back of an alcove in the northeast wall is an arrow slit.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    345.4 KB · Views: 125
  • map.png
    map.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 133

River Song

Explorer
"Right you are," Kubeba smiles and starts to move up. When he gets closer to the cavern he activates his cloak and starts to climb the wall towards the spot Thaliss is interested in.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Creamsteak

Explorer
As Kubeba starts to climb down the gargoyles take notice from above, but are mostly confused as he starts climbing around on the walls with ease. You can tell that they notice you, but they look onward like they're expecting you to say or do something now that you have their attention. When you start quickly moving across the cavern they seem to look to each other and shrug.

The second map on my last post lays out the area where you were climbing towards. The arrow slit there looks on into the area just in front of the eyeball. Three resting Black Earth Guards and a female spellcaster of some sort occupy the bunks. They are not actively paying attention, but they are not asleep.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Carradoc explains the situation.

"If we are proceeding, I'd like us to think about how we are getting past the gargoyles Thaliss has found. My spell will continue for a while, but if I'm hit, we could lose its effect. If we are going to draw fire of the Gargoyles we should do so from a position we feel is safe. [[BC8 or AX 18]]. While exploring the cavern is a good idea, we risk losing the larger picture. I can see in the area you mention before Kubeba gets there, if you like [[sending the arcane eye]]. But we need to know how we will deal with the threat, if we intend to pass."

[[Let me know if we want to send the eye first; I'm not trying to draw focus from Kubeba, though. I you want to go, go for it.]]
Arcana: [roll0].

[[based on that roll...]]

"I've never encountered such creatures, but it's said that can only be damaged by magic."

Remove ads