log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E [IC] Creamsteak's Storm King's Thunder: Waterdeep

Yavathol

Explorer
"So Harshnag, would you mind if we accompanied you? We may have to pick up supplies as we leave town, depending on the route you suggest taking?

And Zerk, it was good to make your acquaintance! I wish you safe travels and profitable business trades!"


Gul is feeling quite tired now, and wishing to get a decent night's sleep before hitting the road again.

OOC:
Were there more magic items we wanted to buy in town, or did we purchase all that we discussed?

And does anyone have anything they would really rather do than accompany Harshnag? It seems to me that sticking with him will help us find stuff out, and he is also a powerful combatant if we're going up against more giants! :-O
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Creamsteak

First Post
"It has been a while since I've had company on the road, but if you wish to see the bitter cold of the far north than traveling companions would be welcome. I have some time."

"Certainly. Let me know if you find any more adamantite. Or if you want to part with that sword."
 

Yavathol

Explorer
"Regrettably, good Zerk, I don't think we could sell you adamantine in good conscience without knowing what the Duke intends to do with it once he has this special forge working. Presumably he thinks it will give him some advantage in his political rivalry with the other Giant rulers?"

OOC:
Looking back, I see we intended to buy some things for Davaros but haven't yet sold the adamantine ball bearing, since we're still looking for a trusted buyer who will give us more than 20%.. Does anyone really want to sell it to Zerk?
 
Last edited:

Creamsteak

First Post
"Zalto wishes to make Ironslag the greatest forge since ancient times. He certainly wishes to re-create the Vonindod, but he never will. It's just not possible. If someone were able to create such a monstrosity, well..." he laughs, "It would be like the great apocalypse of old."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Bellalalalinda does not fully understand the politics that are being discussed. She has trained herself, for years, to oppose giants. Not that she hates them -- they are as varied as any other beings in their attitudes and beliefs -- but to take sides in a conflict among the giants, to help some while hindering others, well, that seems to be mis-spent energy.

"I don't get it," the small gnome sulks. "Why are we...?" She leaves the question unfinished. "Jhada Khin. Sansuri. That's where our focus should be. That's beyond politics. That was just messed up."

She won't ave much to contribute to this discussion, and though she wants to leave this room of oversized people nd furniture, she won't excuse herself until they are ready to bed down for the night, at which point she will return to the stable.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Davaros had remained silent for most of the conversation whith these giants. He didn't appreciate the giant folk, but these were better than he expected.

"Certainly. Let me know if you find any more adamantite. Or if you want to part with that sword."

At these words, Davaros caressed the hilt of the sword and said: "Thank you for the offer, but I shall pass". He was laconic not to become angered, even though that likely wasn't the giant's intention. Besides, he was eager to try this new sword in battle, even if it would sear his hands.

OOC: The sword will deal 2d6 fire damage to Davaros when he activates it. We talked about buying him blacksmithing gloves (prevent the first five points of fire damage), and perhaps a magic item of fire resistance, which would take care of any damage. Of course, we would need cash for this, and I don't think we should sell the adamantine bearing. So only gloves for the moment would be ok
 

Yavathol

Explorer
OOC:
We have the local currency to buy the gloves and any rations we need, maybe some potions of resistance would be useful too. I expect if there is any left, there must be a moneychanger who will convert the remainder to regular gold at an extortionate rate..!
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
OOC: Somebody just decide, please. We've stalled, I think, over an issue of shopping. If you want something (for yourself or for the group), let's buy it. Bell is making no purchases; she was so cheap she didn't even want to pay for this guesthouse, you will recall, so she is sleeping in the stable). Let's get going!
 

Yavathol

Explorer
OOC:
Ok, let's do this!
We have 2500 in local currency, I believe. Gul is buying:
Potion of flying 500
Potion of gaseous form 300
Potion of invisibility 180
Potion of superior healing 450

Total spent: 1430
Remainder: 1070

Though will note them on his sheet, consider them party items if during the adventure anyone else could make good use of them! :)

Also I think we should get warm clothing for the extreme cold conditions further north, not sure from PHB what the cost is..


"I'm ready when you are, Harshnag!"
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
OOC: I second this. Lets just go for the 25gp gloves, and if/once we get an item of fire resistance, Davaros will have dibs on it. In the meantime, he will appreciate the appropriate spell being cast on him for this protection.
 

Creamsteak

First Post
OOC: Insert montage of the party traveling side by side with the good-natured frost giant Harshnag as they banter back and forth and gradually make their way to the SPine of the World Mountains while do-gooding and wrecking the occasional evil giants.


Mountains of ice and black rock form a sky-scraping wall of frigid peaks across the far north, which few creatures have the ability to surmount. Brutally cold winds, avalanches, and icy rifts are the least of a traveler’s problems in the Spine of the World. Tribes of giants, goblinoids, and orcs dwell there, holding every cavern or abandoned dwarven delve but those claimed by dragons.

To get to the Eye of the All-Father you must pass through Valley of Khedrun. The frozen vale on the southern fringe of the Spine of the World is named for a legendary dwarf hero who used his axe to carve out the homeland of the dwarves in the North from lands dark with wolves, orcs, and goblinoids. The Valley of Khedrun is haunted by the Great Worm tribe of Uthgardt barbarians.The frozen vale on the southern fringe of the Spine of the World is named for a legendary dwarf hero who used his axe to carve out the homeland of the dwarves in the North from lands dark with wolves, orcs, and goblinoids.

After two days traversing the desolate valley, Harshnag finds the pass. A 40-foot-wide, naturally formed stone causeway leads to the entrance of the Eye of the All-Father. Sheer cliffs plunge hundreds of feet on both sides of the route. The causeway is covered with a foot of snow.

OOC: Take some time to update characters to 7th level and check in.
 

Attachments

  • max.jpg
    max.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 75


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
There's a crispness on the surface of the ground that gives way with each step, a thin layer of ice that falls away into the powdered snow beneath, making the gait of the travellers uneven. Snowshoes would help, of course, but they don't have them. Nevertheless, the small halfling leads the way. She's squinting, which makes her eyes look funny, but it keeps the snow from blinding her. Beside her, Whistler takes the bulk of the direct wind, as she travels in his lee. Even with the adverse weather, though, she is able to lead her companions and they make much better time than anyone expects.

OOC: Bellalalalinda now level 7 (woo hoo; thanks). Natural explorer means the group isn't slowed when travelling, and can't be lost non-magically.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
OOC: Also checking in. Really hesitating about going level paladin 7, or Paladin6/sorcerer 1 for shield and absorb elements... [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION], I was wondering, Davaros never uses his paladin oath features. Would it be ok if he became an oath of the ancients vs oath of vengence? This would skew my decision towards paladin 7 for the cool resistance against spells 10ft aura. Now, if you are open to this, would the magic resistance against spells work with his sword's fire damage? It's similar to a heat metal effect, so I wanted to check. Thanks!
 

Creamsteak

First Post
OOC: Um. Sure on the oath switch and the elemental resistance type change to fire from cold.


A 40-foot-wide, naturally formed stone causeway leads to the entrance of the Eye of the All-Father. Sheer cliffs plunge hundreds of feet on both sides of the route. The causeway is covered with a foot of snow, in which the characters can see fresh tracks heading toward the mountainside.

The causeway ends before a stone dome carved from the mountainside. Six 30-foot-tall stone pillars support the dome, which is in no danger of collapse, even if the pillars were to be toppled. Each pillar is carved with a wraparound bas-relief. From north to south, the pillars depict the following scenes:

A hill giant lifting a rock above its head
A frost giant chopping down a great pine
A cloud giant flying among birds in the sky
A flying storm giant hurling lightning bolts at a ship
A stone giant climbing a mountain
A fire giant with chained dwarf prisoners in a cavern

At the back of the dome, a 40-foot-wide, 40-foot-high hallway heads into the mountain. Wind has blown the snow far into the hallway. The snow thins out and disappears after about 100 feet. The tracks continue east into the dungeon complex.
 

Attachments

  • map.png
    map.png
    809.4 KB · Views: 70

Yavathol

Explorer


 "Astonishing!" Gul muttered as he gazed upon the massive pillars, "Do you know how old this place is, Harshnag?"
With nary a pause in his pace, he proceeded towards the entrance into the mountainside, stopping a short distance in and peering on, looking for lights.
OOC:

Note: Gul will cast Shield with a warlock slot as a reaction if he is hit by an attack (+5 to AC)

Gul has darkvision 120'. [MENTION=1727]kobold[/MENTION]Stew, can Bella identify what made the tracks, do you think?


 

[sblock=status]Gul hp 40/40 Temp.hp 7

Str +0 Dex +2, Con +1, Int +4, Wis +0(+3 Saves), Cha +2(+5 Saves)

Arcana +7, Religion +7, Investigation +7, Stealth +5 (disadvantage), Survival +3, Concentration +1

AC 18

Inspiration: no
Concentrating: no
 

Spells/day: 4/4 3/3 2/2

Pact Magic(1st): 2/2

HD: 4d6+2d8/4d6+2d8

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ng-s-Thunder&p=6897185&viewfull=1#post6897185
[/sblock]
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
kong_ride_by_lehuss-d6y6qb1.jpg

When Gul points out the tracks, Whistler makes his way over to them, as the small gnome sits proudly on his back. Her back is straight, and Whistler's large fists provide a steady gait through the fresh snow as he positions himself over the tracks.

From her perch, she examines the tracks, and the direction they head. She tells her companions what she sees.

OOC: Wisdom: Survival [roll0] to track, or (if they are humanoid or giant tracks) there's advantage, so it's the better of that roll and [roll1] to track and recall knowledge about the quarry.
 

Creamsteak

First Post
To Gul, Harshnag replies, "Old. I don't even know if the Storm King could tell you quite how old."

Bell is able to determine that the tracks are those of 8 humans, likely local barbarians.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
"The tracks go in, but there's no signs of departure," the small voice of the gnome says. "And they're recent -- within the past day, given the amount of snowfall in the impressions."

She's comfortable with her assessment, and sounds more professional than she often does, when she's not distracted.
 

Yavathol

Explorer
"I think the local barbarians are called Uthgardt", Gul said, "They're meant to be savages, with a bad reputation."

OOC:
Is the hallway dark up ahead, or is it open enough to the elements that we can see for some distance?
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top