• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

5E [IC] Creamsteak's Storm King's Thunder: Waterdeep

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
The small gnome's bolt falls short. Curiously, it has a lucky bounce, like a rock skipping on a slow-moving stream on a summer day.

OOC: Lucky (now 2 of 3 luck points left) to re-roll the attack die: [roll0].
 

Creamsteak

Villager
Bell and Whistler deal more of a beat down to the barbarians, but don't quite finish any off.

At this point the opposition dives recklessly into melee with most of the party. They land two hits on Harshnag and a crit against Davaros for 26 followed by a hit for 17.

Harshnag follows through and cleaves down the chieftain. The barbarians seem horrified.

Parties turn.
 

Attachments

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
OOC: In 860 I tried to have Bell "hold her ground" (not move), so if it's okay, I'll go with that, with her still back and not in melee distance. Otherwise, her action will be to disengage and retreat.


Whistler advances to engage with the barbarian in front of him, his massive fists pummeling the enemy.

OOC: If top left is a1 and Whistler is at F1, he moves to H1, and attacks:
Action: attack vs. H2 [roll0]. If successful, damage = [roll1].
Reaction: attack vs. H2 (if still standing, if not then H4): [roll2]. If successful, damage = [roll3].


Bellalalinda moves back , firing at the approaching barbarian.

OOC: Attack vs. E5 (assuming she's already standing back; I think this is the same one she just hit with the rebound), not using sharpshooter. [roll4]. If a hit, damage = [roll5].
 

Yavathol

Explorer


Observing the quirky halfling backing away from the barbarian, Gul tried to support his ally with two mystically conjured blasts of power, sending them hurtling towards the raging Uthgardt. Privately, he noted the efficiency with which Harshnag was cutting down their enemies, and was much relieved that they had enlisted such a powerful ally.

OOC:
Note: Gul will cast Shield with a warlock slot as a reaction if he is hit by an attack (+5 to AC)
Action: cast eldritch blast at nearest enemy
Move: staying where he is

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]



[sblock=status]Gul hp 35/35 Temp.hp 7
Str +0 Dex +2, Con +1, Int +4, Wis +0(+3 Saves), Cha +2(+5 Saves)
Arcana +7, Religion +7, Investigation +7, Stealth +5 (disadvantage), Survival +3, Concentration +1
AC 13 + 3 Mirror Images AC12 (18 in armour)
Inspiration no
Concentrating: no

Spells/day: 4/4 2/3 1/2
Pact Magic(1st): 2/2
HD: 4d6+2d8/4d6+2d8
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?488824-RG-Creamsteak-s-Storm-King-s-Thunder&p=6897185&viewfull=1#post6897185
[/sblock]
 

Creamsteak

Villager
The parties attacks fell two of the barbarians.

Davaros also makes attacks against the barbarians remaining. Another one falls.

One lands a hit on Davaros for 5, another lands a hit on Harshnag for 11, and finally one lands a hit on Whistler for 7.

Harshnag makes two more attacks and fells two wounded barbarians with a 45 and a 39.

Wormblod, the chieftain, wears an amulet of proof against detection and location. Tied to his belt is a sack containing seven 100 gp gemstones.

A 40-foot-long flight of steps leading east ascends 20 feet to a landing, next to which stands a pair of 30-foot-tall granite doors carved with images of giant gods locked in battle with dragons. The doors are impervious to all types of damage and coated with ice on the inside.

Harshnag moves forward and forces the doors open breaking a layer of ice on the other side.

Ahead...

Thick frost clings to every surface of this 100-foot-high vaulted chamber. Seven enormous statues dominate the room. The largest of them is an 80-foot-tall robed giant, his arms outstretched and his face hidden beneath a stony cowl, facing a glowing archway in the east wall. Kneeling in rows to each side of this statue are six statues half its size, each impressive in its own right and depicting a paragon of a type of giant: hill, stone, frost, fire, cloud, and storm. These smaller statues face the bigger one in the room’s center. In their outstretched arms, five of the giants hold weapons—gifts for their All-Father. Only the frost giant statue is unarmed.
 

Attachments

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Davaros proceeds to heal himself of all damage taken (22 if my accounting is correct), and asks Harshnag if he also wants healing. If the giant agrees, Davaros will heal 10 hp of damage (3 hp left).
He then grabs the loot, and says "I'll carry this, let me know if any of you want the necklace now".

His flaming sword still drawn, he advances on his horse to explore a bit the area.
 

Creamsteak

Villager
Harshnag accepts the offer of some healing.

OOC: I've added a light source to the room to make this visible, but I imagine it's a lot creepier in character since it's so dark.


Along the eastern wall is an archway with six runes.

The archway is 40 feet wide and 40 feet tall. Six different runes are carved into it, each one inlaid with mithral, and a glowing mist fills the arch. Niches in the walls on either side of it contain empty, ice-covered sconces made of iron.
Harshnag identifies that one of the runes is Ise, the giant word for frost.
 

Attachments

Yavathol

Explorer


Once they had ascertained that there was no immediate danger in the massive room, Gul started a ritual to establish what magic affected any of the statues and runes. The glowing mist was obviously magical. Apart from the light emanating from the archway, his darkvision enabled him to see clearly for six score feet, so he had no concerns about grues and snarks lurking in the shadows.

"I wonder if it's significant that the Frost Giant is the only unarmed one," he mused.
"Give me a few minutes to examine things, but my initial thoughts are that maybe Harshnag, if he is willing, could put his axe in the hands of the Frost Giant statue?"

OOC:
Casting Detect Magic as a ritual while the others cast their healing spells.


[sblock=status]Gul hp 35/35 Temp.hp 7
Str +0 Dex +2, Con +1, Int +4, Wis +0(+3 Saves), Cha +2(+5 Saves)
Arcana +7, Religion +7, Investigation +7, Stealth +5 (disadvantage), Survival +3, Concentration +1
AC 13 + 3 Mirror Images AC12 (18 in armour)
Inspiration no
Concentrating: no

Spells/day: 4/4 2/3 1/2
Pact Magic(1st): 2/2
HD: 4d6+2d8/4d6+2d8
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?488824-RG-Creamsteak-s-Storm-King-s-Thunder&p=6897185&viewfull=1#post6897185
[/sblock]
 

Creamsteak

Villager
The detect magic spell reveals an aura of conjuration magic around the archway.

Harshnag goes ahead and tries putting his (relative to the statue) smaller axe into the arms of the statue of the frost giant, but nothing seems to happen.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Bellalalinda is hoisted up by Whistler, and runs her fingers along the Mithral inlay. "There are six runes, and six statues around the big one. So seven statues. But the Frost run might mean the Frost giant."

The small gnome speaks many languages, all of which begin with G. But Giant is one of them.
 

Yavathol

Explorer


"A good observation, Bella! So each rune represents a type of giant, all worshipping the All-Father. And Harshnag only knows the rune of his own type. But I do not perceive any magic around the statues or runes..maybe we should investigate further on in the complex? Anyone have a preference for North or South?"

Gul tried to focus on the magic, but it was hard not to be awed by the sheer size of the statues towering above them.

[sblock=status]Gul hp 35/35 Temp.hp 7
Str +0 Dex +2, Con +1, Int +4, Wis +0(+3 Saves), Cha +2(+5 Saves)
Arcana +7, Religion +7, Investigation +7, Stealth +5 (disadvantage), Survival +3, Concentration +1
AC 13 + 3 Mirror Images AC12 (18 in armour)
Inspiration no
Concentrating: no

Spells/day: 4/4 2/3 1/2
Pact Magic(1st): 2/2
HD: 4d6+2d8/4d6+2d8
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?488824-RG-Creamsteak-s-Storm-King-s-Thunder&p=6897185&viewfull=1#post6897185
[/sblock]
 

Creamsteak

Villager
A 60-foot-high hall stretches northward. The hall is inclined at a slight angle, so that the floor in the north end of the hall is higher than in the south end. The slope isn’t so great that the frost on the floor presents a hazard. Fourteen 30-foot-tall archways spaced along the west and east walls lead to 60-foot-square chambers furnished with frost-covered stone couches that serve as beds. Some of these beds have tattered furs atop them.

Standing in an alcove at the eastern end of the hall is a life-size stone giant statue. Its arms are lifted up with hands outstretched and palms facing the west end of the hall.
 

Attachments

Yavathol

Explorer
"An odd posture for a statue," Gul noted, "Does it have some religious significance Hashnag? Defending Annam from threats perhaps?"

Gul wondered around the base of the statue, checking for anything hidden around the back.

"I'm curious what is upstairs, but will your mount be able to traverse them Davaros?"
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Bellalalalalinda does not like these large statues. "There's too many of them. Something's wrong." She has trained her whole life, short though it has been so far, to loathe these creatures. And now she is travelling with one.

"If I had the strength, I would push them over. Break every last one of these monuments." There's no anger in her voice, but she is clearly anxious. The large stairs before her are not made for someone her size. To save her the emabarassment of scrambling up the stairs like an infant, Whistler picks her up and together they begin to ascend.
 

Creamsteak

Villager
Harshnag shrugs and responds, "Looks like he's trying to catch something."

This upstairs hallway is structurally similar to the one below, except that much of it has collapsed, leaving a few rooms to the east and west. Standing in an alcove at the south end of the hall is a life-size statue of a female cloud giant wearing an angry mask, her arms positioned in a way that suggests she’s casting a spell.
 

Attachments

Yavathol

Explorer
"Hmm, still unsure of the significance of these statues.. Never mind."

Gul started to move towards the nearest intact room, "Shall we carry on?"

OOC:
If part of the ceiling has collapsed further on, is there any danger of more, imminent collapses here? We don't have any dwarves with us!!
 

Creamsteak

Villager
The third room on the right contains a pair of sculpted stone couches that double as beds. Frost covers everything. There is a stitched leather sack on one of the beds. The sack has been here for months, left behind by an old and forgetful frost giant. The sack contains a shard of the ise rune and three severed, frozen dwarf heads (two male and one female). One of the heads has ten gold teeth (worth 1 gp each).
 

Attachments

Advertisement

Top