• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part V(b)

TiCaudata

First Post
"The doppleganger must die!" Erdolliel continues with the spell casting.[sblock=oc]AC 18 concentration +13[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Seeing Erdolliel about to fire a fiery spell, Kushnak smacks the elf with the blunt side of his sword. The elf loses her concentration, and the spell fizzles harmlessly.
[sblock=OOC]Both Kushnak and Neth ID the spell as scorching ray. 10+ and 17+ on checks.

Kushnak: readies
Erdolliel: casts
Kushnak: ready triggers; attack 14+ hit, 11 nonlethal damage
Erdolliel: concentration check 6+ fail; spell fizzles

On to the first real round.

Initiative
Kushnak (14)
3 (13)
Nethezar (12)
2 (slower 12)
4 (11)
Erdolliel (9): 11 nonlethal
1 (7)[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak drops his head in frustration and futilely pleads directly to the doppleganger "This is not necessary. We can not prevent this without your aid and the only end for you is death."

[sblock=oc]Bah... i quit trying to find a way out of this. He's addressing #2 ready to disrupt a spell if Erd happens to cast it while standing next to me like an idiot, otherwise, just 'ready' to stay next to her. i think that's ok?[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
"Death!" the guard who spoke before shouts. "Threats are not tolerated! Drop to the ground!" He pulls out a crossbow and aims it at Kushnak. Quieter, to his men, he says, "Take aim."

"What in the Abyss is she doing?" Nethezar hisses. Loudly, however, his voice raises to begin a speech extolling the virtues of civil service work.

The scholar's oratory seems to be having the desired effect, as the guards, even the shape-shifting one, appear enthralled.
[sblock=OOC]Kushnak: readies
3: readies
Nethezar: fascinate bard song, perform check 9+; will saves 14+, 17+, 3+, 15+ all fail (saves based upon skill rolls are amazing)
2: fascinated
4: fascinated

Up to Erd's action.

Initiative
Kushnak (14)
3 (13)
Nethezar (12)
2 (slower 12)
4 (11)
1 (7) [/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel curses as her spell fails. "You don't understand you fools! There is evil in your midst! All you know are the weapons of war, you know nothing of the intrigues!" She then takes the battle to her foe. [sblock=oc]Spring attack #2. I'm going to work under the assumption that North is to the top of the screen. Move NE, then move E to #2, attack (+9 1d8+3), then move 10' W.[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]So ....mess...

Di and I talked some about this and we're sort of at an impass. Essentially, Kush's point in following Erd was to AoO her when she cast after moving away, but to allow her to move away and NOT get AoO'd for simply leaving the square. Given that she's now melee'ing... we're not sure what should happen.

Given that she's SA'ing, and drawing on the move, i don't know that there is any indication immediately that she's entering melee(or intends to, ie: drawing) prior to her being out of Kush's immediate thereatened area. If there were, he could simply attempt the AoO from where he is, and follow her as indicated by his readied action.

If Kush can follow her in stride and sees that she's drawing a weapon, and CAN make the AoO, that's what he'd do. But i don't know that there's any support for that in the RAW.

In the event that he can't AoO her before her attack(either without moving, or 'on the run'), it seems reasonable to AoO her after the attack, since he would have completed his move(to follow her to the guy).

In all of the above cases, Kush would opt first for a disarm (+25, no provoke), or if disarming is not possible for whatever reason, then grapple (+13, does provoke, AC 24)

And then we can get to the fascinate aspect.... or Di can anyway.
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Erdolliel, shouting, lunges forward. Kushnak quickly follows her and, once the elf pulls out her sword, the half-orc bats it to the ground with ease.

Nethezar, trying to stay focused, continues his discourse on civil service. He mentions something about having to deal with lunatics in the general population. "You should consider," the scholar tells one of the guards, "signing up immediately for work as a Free City tax collector." The guard immediately stands up and begins to briskly walk away.
[sblock=OOC]I don't know when I lost the stuff, but I apparently don't have any of my old 3.5 documents (FAQs, pirated books, etc.). But I'm supremely confident that I'd read about the whole "ready to follow" a person thing before. Anyway... Some voted best house maybe, but here's trying.

Erd: spring attack attempt
Kushnak: ready triggers; follows Erd; chooses not not take any AoO until after Erd draws her weapon; AoO, 7+ vs 15+ disarm succeeds

srd said:
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.
srd said:
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.
My interpretation is that Erd can't draw another weapon after being disarmed.

I think this effectively kills her spring attack, unless she wants to do it unarmed. At this point, I'm going to assume that is NOT the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm voted-best-housing that the dudes stay fascinated. I don't have any real bassis for that other than my opinion. If anyone has a problem with that, let me know.

All of them are fascinated still. Neth keeps going; makes a suggestion to #1; will save 13+ fail.

Back to Kushnak then Erd.

Initiative
3 (13)
Nethezar (12)
2 (slower 12)
4 (11)
Kushnak:
1 (7): suggested [/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
"Girl, hold yourself or you will only bring this down on all of our heads. You will have your desires fulfilled shorlty. Only let Nethezar continue his work first." Kushnak hisses at Erdolliel under his breath.

[sblock=oc]Kushnak will (i'm not sure these conditional ready's are great, but i'm SURE that watercott would LOOOOVE them) ready to disrupt a spell if Erdolliel casts within reach, if instead she moves he'll 'ready to enable himself to make an AoO' against either a spell or melee.

i think that's clearer to what we've decided just happened.
[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel retrieves her sword wordlessly.[sblock=oc]Pick up the sword and move so that Erdolliel is 15' W(Left?) of the doppleganger[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Erdolliel picks up her sword and moves closer to her prey. Kushnak follows, waiting to stop any violence, but none is forthcoming.

Unfazed, at least outwardly, Nethezar continues his exposition on civil service. "Right now, there is an old lady in the Garden District that needs your help crossing a street. Go find her." One of the remaining guards quickly moves to oblige.

[sblock=OOC]In my opinion, picking up her sword is similar to, but not as threatening as, drawing a weapon. I THINK that I'm going to give Neth a new perform check, rather than auto-end the fascination. Is that acceptable? Or should that be enough of a threat to end the fascination?

Also, I discussed this some with o3. Some of this is just re-hashing that, but some of this goes beyond that a bit. I think it might be okay to ready to do X if either A or B happens. I don't think it is okay to ready to do X if A happens or do Y if B happens. I also don't think Kushnak can ready to enable an AoO against "either a spell or melee," since melee attacks in general don't provoke an AoO.

On the other hand, I think "ready to enable himself to make an AoO" is perfectly acceptable. The problem, however, is that o3 would then need to communicate under what circumstance he might chose to TAKE an AoO, since you can always opt to not take one when given the chance (presumably so that you can "save" it for later).

I don't want to make this any more complicated than necessary. For THIS round, I'm assuming that Kushnak is readying to enable himself to make an AoO, and therefore following Erdolliel. I'm also assuming that Kushnak chose to NOT take the AoO that he could have when Erdolliel picked up her sword.

If this is problematic, let me know. I'm trying to not ruffle too many feathers. Would it be helpful if you guys posted your actions (temporarily) in sblocks to me? Assuming that Ti could exercise enough restraint to not read them... ;)

Kushnak: readies
Erdolliel: picks up sword; moves
Kushnak: ready triggers, follows
3: fascinated
Nethezar: new perform check 14+, will saves 4, 19, 9, all fail; suggestion to #4, will save 3+ fail
2: fascinated
4: leaves

Back to Kushnak, then Erdolliel.

Initiative
Nethezar
Kushnak:
Erdolliel (9): 11 nonlethal[/sblock]

Remove ads