[IC] Playing Dice with the Universe - Chapter One: Temple of the Frog

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
December 18th, 1975

Professor Antoine Blake, associate dean of the sociology department at the University of Maine, Orono Campus, sat at the head of the table, motioning for his guests to take a seat.

It was late December, and everyone was on winter break, getting a much needed respite from academics. Winter had come early and harshly, with record snowfall. Blake had invited a small, select group from the campus wargamers club to his house to try something new, a game he'd acquired at a convention in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Something called Dungeons & Dragons. A variety of oddly shaped dice were scattered across the table for the group to share. A woodgrain box also sat on the table, three little booklets resting within. Two more booklets, supplements of some sort, sat on the table in front of the Professor, one labeled "Greyhawk" and the other "Blackmoor." A piece of paper with handwritten notes scribbled on it was shoved into the Blackmoor supplement, apparently serving as a bookmark.

"Alright, everyone, please take a seat. I've met with each of you individually this past week to get the preliminaries out of the way. You should all have a character, your playing piece, so to speak, in the game world. So, why don't we start by having everyone introduce yourselves and telling us a bit about your character. I'll start. As you know, I am Professor Blake. I will be your Dungeon Master this evening, the referee, as it were."

He steeples his fingers and waits patiently for someone to be the first to speak up.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
An undersized young man already seated two chairs down from the professor pushed thick glasses back up a sweaty nose, hunched as he is over a few sheets of paper, number 2 pencil clutched in his hand. "Hu... Could you get back to me a bit later on? I'm- still working on Sir Trinibar's equipment list." Then, obviously the source of some despair, "Are you sure clerics can't use swords? I mean, how does that make any sense?"

OOC: And we're off! :D

Leif

Adventurer
Josh Frankel speaks up next, from the far end of the table. He is a short, stocky, heavy-browed fellow with gray eyes and red hair and beard, that most of the other players have seen working with the university's grounds crew, but none recall seeing in class for some time now. "My character is Sir Dublemas the Dwarf. Unfortunately, it took all of his starting money just to buy his armor and weapons, but, hey, this is just a game, right? Our characters don't actually need to eat, do they? And it says I can see in the dark, doesn't it? What's that about, anyway?"

Last edited:

Binder Fred

"It does?" blinked the first young man. "It doesn't say that anywhere in the rules that I saw." He flipped back through his own stapled, xerographed copy of the first booklet and read out loud, eyes following the words: "Dwarves may opt only for the fighting class, and they may never progress beyond the 6th level (Myrmidon). Their advantages are: 1) they have a high level of magic resistance, and they thus add four levels when rolling saving throws (a 6th level dwarf equals a 10th level human);2) they are the only characters able to fully employ the +3 Magic War Hammer (explained in Volume II); 3) they note slanting passages, traps, shifting walls and new construction in underground settings; and 4) they are able to speak the languages of Gnomes, Kobolds and Goblins in addition to the usual tongues (see LANGUAGES in this Volume)." Before shooting the professor a questioning glance (*)...

"Sir Trinibar will have a week's worth of rations in his pack. I'm- fairly sure. So I can loan you some, Josh... Say three days?" He flipped his pencil over, pink eraser hovering above the page...

* = Guess Bert isn't aware of the Greyhawk supplement quite yet. :)

Leif

Adventurer
Josh Frankel as Sir Dublemas the Dwarf

Josh says, "Thanks, Bert, ah, I mean, Sir Dublemas bows deeply and thanks the kind Sir Trinibar of the Shining Sword. The doughty Dwarf goes on, 'I shall repay the gracious loan as soon as I am able.' "

Binder Fred

Herbert pauses, then grins wide with sudden delight, blue eyes shining behind the glasses: "Uh... 'Think nothing of it, good sir dwarf. 'Tis but piffles between men of honour!'" Still grinning, the change is made. And while he's at it, Bert suggests a sack to carry them in. "That AND our future loot."

OOC: Transferring over 3 rations and a large sack, assuming Josh wants it.

Leif

Adventurer
Josh Frankel as Sir Dublemas the Bold [Dwarf]

OOC: Absolutely!
Josh says, "The Dwarf hungrily accepts the proffered loan of grub and sack."

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The Professor holds up his hands, his voice taking a note of impatience, "Gentlmen, gentlemen please. Let the others get a word in."

OOC: Willvr and Myth & Legend, are you still with us?

willvr

First Post
OOC: May have to change concept to someone hopelessly disorganised; as I've got a house inspection in 2 weeks and need to make sure place is clean; leaves little time to getting character completed.

Myth and Legend

First Post
A tall, athletic young woman walks in the room, snowflakes melting on her golden blond hair. She has big crystal blue eyes, which give her a kind of surprised look and pouty rosebud lips that adorn a pretty, porcelain doll face.

She is wearing a white turtleneck sweater, tight blue jeans and what appears to be a very light winter jacket. She plops herself down on a nearby armchair and puts her hands beneath her armpits.

"I knew Maine got cold and all, but this feels like Santa's back yard y’all! My flight to South Carolina got cancelled. 'Parently 15 feet of snow make it impossible for us to take off! How does this even make any sense? I mean, planes fly right? And snow is on the ground?" She shakes her head with an annoyed look on her face and snowflakes fall on her shoulders.

"So anyway here I am, since there won't be another flight until Thursday, and y'all seem to be the only people left on campus. Josh told me ya'll be gathering here to play some Monopoly or sumtin'?" She casually nods at the red haired fellow.

"Name's Mary Elise by the way." She smiles but her hands remain firmly tucked beneath her armpits as if she was braving the winds of the north pole itself.

Remove ads