[IC] Return of the Runelords

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Good idea, lass, I will join you with the Governor. We're not exactly cordial, but he won't try to actively block the dwarves."

G

Guest 11456

You head to see Port-Governor Larenza Thort at City Hall. At first Larenza seemed too busy to be bothered, but a few words from Shendra made her more helpful. Larenza notes that some town guards went missing recently in the Churlwood while searching for a pair of dwarves who were supposedly kidnapped by goblins, and with increasing tensions in town, she’s not eager to send more guards out into dangerous woodlands or haunted houses. She asks your group to investigate the missing guards and offers you 200 gold pieces for information about the missing guards. When asked about maps of the region she confirms that Sir Roderic was the best map maker in the area. After his confirmed death the then Port-Governor went to his house and claimed all of his maps for Roderic’s Cove. They can be found in Cove Hall. You will be allowed to examine the maps but cannot remove them from Cove Hall.

You are able to see several well made maps of the area. There is one that shows the area around Roderic’s Cove. On it is a odd seven-pointed star on a ridge in the Churlwood a few miles southeast of Roderic’s Cove. Teodor noticed something and decided to turn over the map. There is a diagram with runes that seem to be associated with another seven-pointed star. Each rune is rotated differently. You are able to easily make a copy of the diagram on the back of the map as well as a rough map of the location of the star on the map.

Roderic’s Cove sits on the northern bank of the Chavali River, and the Churlwood borders the river’s southern bank. The Chavali averages a thousand feet wide in this area, so swimming across is not the best option. You can charter a boat to ferry you across the river to the Churlwood at a cost of 2 gp for a one-way trip, or you could walk about a mile up the Chavali River to a spot where a bridge has been started and a Cove resident ferries people across for just a few coppers. Assuming you are ready to go to the Churlwood, which route do you take?

Neurotic

"Whatevers the faster. And maybe that it doesn't include too much galivating through the rain and mud."

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Teodor carefully copies the diagram and the map. "I feel a sense of urgency here." He produces two gold coins from a pouch with only a slight hesitation.

Kaodi

Hero
Shendra gives a slight sniff of distaste. "I know we just spent a whole lot of money on dinner but two gold crowns to save ourselves a twenty minute walk seems a bit, well, steep," the oracle replies. "Besides, if there has been trouble about it might not hurt to check in on the worksite and see that whoever is there is still hale and healthy."

Neurotic

"Let us go. The air is good for you. Look at me, two centuries and still going. Maybe we can see something on the way that doesn't include our bones over water." old dwarf climbs on his horse and clucks it into the motion

G

Guest 11456

You head east along the banks of the Chavali River. As you travel the river gradually gets narrower until you reach the spot where the bridge was started. Here where the river grows shallow for a short stretch, twin rows of mismatched wooden pilings protrude from the water. This was originally intended to be the site of a bridge that would cross the river and continue the road south along the edge of the Churlwood, but plans for its construction fell apart after the pilings were driven into the river. Yet the Covers are tenacious, and rather than abandon this handy link to the south side of the river, a resident of the cove took it upon herself to set up a ferry service that uses a barge attached to a set of ropes hung between the pilings. You see an obviously old woman sitting in a comfortable chair. There is a small barge tethered to a small dock. As you get closer the woman smiles and waves to you. "Are you headed further up the river or are you headed to the south across the river?" Her smile gets bigger as she speaks about crossing the river.

Kaodi

Hero
"You have figured us out, yes, we mean to travel across the river," says Shendra politely. The seer takes a moment to glance around, "Are you out here by yourself? With the troubles in the area it seems a bit, well, risky."

Remove ads