D&D 5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord stepped to the front as they approached the toads and raised his empty hands in a sign of peaceful intent. Then he glanced meaningfully at Loklafd before speaking, himself unable to discern let alone speak their language at this time.

"We mean you no harm now nor in the future. Our mission lies with a wizard who has been captured and the corpse dragon which rules here. Should we succeed, your tribe will be free of the dragon's influence. We ask only a place to rest a short time in safety. Please, allow us to meet with your queen."

OOC: Persuasion:: 1d20+4 19

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn stood beside Mord, willing to let him speak, looking... not menacing, but competent.

He was slightly distracted however. He had sent Sooty in the back, to make sure they weren't being followed.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The guards hesitated, unsure what to do, but then the toad that Imani's agents had met before came from behind them and said, (in the Ice-Hunter tongue, translated by Loklafd), "Our Queen, Marfaulb, will see you."

The guards parted, though they seemed displeased, and the group was led into a rough-walled chamber. About a dozen ice-toads with thick, mottled white hides were at work, scribing strange writings into the ice of the walls, or onto weathered parchment and stone tablets. A few toads transfered parchments and tablets into and out of floor-to-ceiling cubbyholes cut into the ice along the entire southern wall.

Six ice-toads stood guards like the ones at the entrance, watching the newcomers as they were led through the work-chamber to another tunnel at the back. The tunnel slid treacherously downward into a chamber that seemed to be a perfect home for the ice-toads, but was miserable and freezing to the newcomers.

A very large and majestic-looking ice-toad sat amongst a strange and curious collection of belongings, such as walrus-tooth wart scrapers, spears fashioned from narwhal horn, oddly shaped furniture sculpted into the icy floor instead of rising above it, writing implements carved from baleen and shaped for a webbed hand, and art objects that combine carved whalebone, driftwood, and mundane items such as silverware and glass stoppers salvaged from shipwrecks.

She sat silently and keen-eyed as she waited for Imani's Agents to make the first move.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord smiled as their guide returned to bring them forth once more. He gave a small bow to the toads before leading the procession to the queens chamber. As they moved, he spoke quietly with Loklafd, searching for any information the man might know about 'toad' etiquette. It wouldn't do to offend the toads with a wrong word or action.

As they entered the chamber, Mord bowed low to the queen, flourishing his hand as much as seemed adequate(and politic) as he did.

"Your majesty, (or whatever title he had been instructed to use), we appreciate your generosity in allowing us an audience."

OOC: Not sure uf any skills apply or are needed. I'll just toss out a basic charisma check and let you apply any modifiers if they apply. Charisma: 1d20+4 17

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto followed the others to the Queen Marfaulb after having left Mend-Nets with a promise to return and check up on him.
Sesto was quite impressed by the toads laborious note taking and wall scribbles. He glanced over the wall and thought he might see something interesting.
Sesto showed the Queen respect with a low bow. He stayed back listening as formalities were exchanged. He carefully watched the toads expression looking for any hidden or unspoken intention. Eventually, Sesto leaned over to Loklafd: Do you know what her role is here, nodding towards the Queen, or perhaps you could ask her?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
After translating Mord's introductory greeting, Loklafd spoke to the Queen for awhile and said to Sesto and the others, "It is hard to be sure. Her Uluik is not very good. In all honesty, mine is rusty - I had not spoken it for years. She speaks the language dragons as well, if any of you do. I don't. She says that her life's work is to record all that can be discovered about the Ice. I think she means the Sea of Moving Ice, not ice in general."

OOC: Sesto should roll Int (history) from when he was looking at the works in the larger hall

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"I only speak dwarven, not draconic" commented Kalorn in a low, carefully neutral tone. "are you sure she doesn't meant the ice dragon when she speaks of studying the ice?" he added. The fact the ice toads spoke draconic was... concerning.

He did his best to project an aura of cool competence - not menacing per say, but one indicating readiness to use violence if necessary. He had found over the years that appearing alert and willing to cleave skulls did a lot to deter would-be brigands.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord listens to Loklafd and nods slightly. "Given 10 minutes, I could understand any spoken or written word, though I still will not be able to speak it myself. If her highness would permit us the time for this, perhaps we can communicate more effectively."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases