D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

industrygothica

Adventurer
Icosa goes to the display and addresses it. "We require a map showing the most direct route to the top floor control room."

Then he adds, "And another map showing the most direct route from the top floor control room to the location of the main database on the lowest level."

Lyllie looks at Icosa curiously and wonders just what in the nine hells is a database.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Thulwar once again wonders if the metal creature is actually independent entity and from which world it comes. It's technology is obviously totally different than anything known on this world except for this place. And having the golem-like creature in its place of creation could be dangerous. But Icosa never once did anything out of character as he knew it. Thus, he trusted it/him/her.
"I really need to ask the question at some point."

"Let's go, Aanzu, it seems we're done talking."

Shayuri

First Post
"Please send the elevator now," Icosa replies.

Then to the others with him he says, "I suggest being ready for hostilities. The levels above are controlled by an intelligence. It might have the presence of mind to send loyal servants down to us in the elevator."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aanzu nods, not hiding his relief that the talking is done and the time has come for action. He takes his magnificent sword in both hands as he positions himself in the front.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

Amberilan turns over her own shoulder, as if glancing at the opened door. Beyond, the darkness begins to surrender, and a set of flickering lights are turned on, all of a sudden. With difficulty, the lines drawn within the smooth metallic walls begin to bathe the corridor beyond in blue and white, uncertainly and interrupted. The glory of past days is still present in the alien shapes that draw the surroundings, but time made sure they wouldn't return so easily. The air inside is strangely cold and stale, and once disturbed shows dust and spores floating about lazily.

And so the very first steps in decades were taken towards the Inner Sanctum...

The flickering lights are enough to make the scenario minimally recognizable. At first a long hall stretches towards a small square. On the sides, steel doors turn the corridor into a small street, an impression that's completed by the round meeting point up ahead. There, an old fountain now rests in silence, the still waters delivering a foul smell to the area. Beyond, several hubs surround another open area, making the heroes feel as if inside a small plaza of sorts. Strange signs identify each of the buildings as signs would in any city.

But the painful truth lays down on the floor of the common area. Through the squares and corridors, over walls and furniture, the signs of conflict are unequivocal. Blood stains, signs of fire and burned areas are common. Remnants of benches and tables are all over the place. Scant gardens seemed to face a slow sort of death as fungi took over the flowerbeds. Containers are left behind to rot and rust, lifters and small transportation vehicles lay silent in disuse. Here and there, totem stations flicker, as if begging to return to live. Voices and sounds repeat themselves in loops, and from some of the adjacent rooms voices can be heard, here and there, as well as broken, strange sounds. The place feels like a dream-like, extraplanar city, abandoned after facing the worst days of a war, but still resisting as if to testify the cruelties lived within.

Suddenly, a strong, steady rumble starts. Old cogs moan as metal screams and the humming of distant machines fills the halls, Amberilan's disembodied voice starts from no apparent position.

"The elevator is coming. You are now at the level zero of our terraforming facility. Here's where the barracks were held. Representatives of our corporative guilds also held office here." - her informative tone is distracting and disturbing at the same time.

[Ok, you are at the first map, labelled Level Zero. Machinery, access doors and computer stations are sprung out all around you. You can explore the level or go straight to the elevator, the round sign at the second plaza, in the back].

EVERYONE

Embla, the half giantess, glances around in surprise and awe. It must be quite the strange impression for her to tread the halls of her masters in such informal, abrupt ways. Her curiosity takes the best of her as she tries to calm her newborn down, now armed with an improvised club and freed from the scars inflicted by the orcs.
At some point, she tries to convince the miners to carry her child for her, giving them something to focus on as they go, but they refuse. Her attempts leave them even more scared and concerned, tension growing in the air as the group moves, closely followed by the shivering group, freed by Thulwar moments before.

"You think they'd left anything behind?" - she asks the snirfveblin in an abrupt and enthusiastic tone.Swallowing her eagerness for a second, though, she continues her inquiries. "So, if I understand it correctly.... You are here to cure something, is that it?" She glances around.
"Some of you, as I mentioned before, are of a strange nature. Have you transformed into something else by the star? Do you want to unmake it?" - she insists, curious and naive.

"We do have healers of our own. Powerful ones. In Nova Palatine.
And the Teraphim help us on occasion. If we are found deserving, of course. I think they'd rejoice seeing you, knowing that there's more than misery and destruction outside." - she ponders for a moment. For a second, her simple mind seems to fly around with calculations of all sorts. "When the time comes, I'll gladly introduce you and vouch for you."

"Listen... She then turns towards Harfik... You seem to have a way with people. Couldn't you..." - she points out towards the miners and the baby, glancing around as she talks. Odds are she's looking for better apron and gear as the group moves forward.

[If you decide to go straight to the elevator, this is what you find...]

After a noisy ascent, the platform that conforms the elevator arrives. It is in no better state than the rest of the level you now cross. It seems the machine has been left alone some time ago, probably substituted by other means of transportation - something more cost-effective, like stairs. Old blood still stains the platform, also surrounded by dust and yellowed spores. The stale air smells even more here, despite the winds that climb, up and down, through the elevator's shaft. Aside from that, only a few crates remain upon it, marked by signs recognizable on the walls of several sectors, just left behind. Another lifter rests by the crates, untouched for a long time, clearly. By it's side, a pair of strange devices rests, broken. They look like metal wings attached to a pectoral armor. in front of them, two crossbows, not unlike the one Yttrian carries, rest on the ground, blackened by some sort of excessive use. A set of three helmets, closed with strangely detailed masks, also remain, scarred by the signs of battle, but not destroyed. Underneath the platform, a distant sound reaches the heroes - a humming sound - not unlike that of the drones - followed by the rhythmic echoes of metal bashing against metal. This is probably the effect of moving the old platform after so many years, and nothing more.

MAP LINK

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qdENqsDJNoZufSFFkU1y9xd9nK-119mUXmlMVo0s8Nk/edit

@Neurotic @JustinCase @Shayuri @Greenmtn @industrygothica @hafrogman

Last edited:

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

Harfik nods to the giantess. Turning to address the miners, looking for one that looks both scared and physically capable of carrying the baby.

Approaching the miners he looks at the one closest to his target, calmly and slowly he lowers himself to the miners level if needed and speaks softly but loud enough that they can hear him.

"You are all well I trust I have food if you are hungery? ...Look at her. Strong. A capable warrior. She would do anything to protect that child. I would imagine that should whoever offers to carry that baby encounter any danger she would gladly protect them as well, for the safety of the child. The carrier of that baby is likely the safest person in this place. I might carry the child myself to ensure she protects me." He lets it sink in for a moment anticipating that one of them will be scared enough to want the extra protection.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aanzu walks in silence, focusing on his surroundings, ready to spring into action if hostile creatures or machines approach. He barely listens to Amberilan or Embla, although he does notice it when the giantess again asks if they are in some ways transformed by the catastrophe.

"The Dynasty of Sethmek has ruled grand Sethmandu for millenia," the proud prince boasts. "The blood of the Great Blue Dragon runs pure and strong, and it is greater than any Star influence. This one needs no cure."

Allowing himself a glance in the giant's direction, Aanzu continues, "Royal honors are mine to regain in this.. foreign place."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Embla, you have to accept that this is just small part of the large world. As much power as these Teraphim obviuosly have, they are still limited to their immediate surroundings. There is lot of humans, elves, dwarves, giants and other folk who never even heard of Teraphim and even less about some catastrophy. I'm here only because your catastrophy happened in what is essentially our roof. And I was sent to investigate...but we exist as I look now for before humans became sentient. You were taught wrong, whether from intention to keep you uninformed and docile or through genuine ignorance of the world at large, but your world view needs quick adjustment. You see proof in front of you." Thulwar tries again to get her to accept the facts.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

As soon as Harfik provokes the miners into action, the entire group mobilizes forces to find the better means to carry the child. They might be weak and unable to fight, but the men are surely handy. In no time, they manage to find a metal plate, loosened from some old contraption, and with pieces of loose cabling they improvise a dragging cart of sorts. They accommodate the child as best as they can, bundling cloth and cables to keep it from falling, and from then on they pull the kid around.

Even the child seemed to like it, becoming drowsy as soon as taken from her mother's arms.

You were taught wrong, whether from intention to keep you uninformed and docile or through genuine ignorance of the world at large, but your world view needs quick adjustment.

Embla doesn't seem to take Thulwar's last few words very well. Clearly she doesn't see herself as someone to be tamed. Her willful manners are clear in her tone of voice. "Keep us docile? Ha! Even a Teraphim would know better!" - she scavenges the surrounding area as the group makes way to the elevator, finding a substitute for her improvised club. "But still..." - she tests the balance of a metal shard she intends to use as a sword - "...I'd like to see this world of yours... You say you're from beneath. Sure you've heard of the Demon City, then, and the treachery that led to it's ascension? The cities could use allies in the war against the blood demons." - she seems far more comfortable now that the child is no longer burdening her, as if her war-like spirit had found opportunity to awaken.

"Royal honors are mine to regain in this.. foreign place."

"There's honor to be had, I assure you, prince!" - she smiles. "The beasts below are furious and many a myth still lives on! You'll be pleased when you see the opportunities to demonstrate your skills!" - she boasts, clearly mistaking the prince's search for an adventuring thirst.

Yttrian studies the remnants at the platform's floor while the others talk. As soon as everyone reaches the pavilion, the elevator starts up, producing a symphony of rusted and pained noises.

"I know this..." - the elf continues. "I've seen it done many times before." - he turns one of the wings around, showing a melted, burned pectoral. "This is a jump vest. Probably destroyed in battle. By light-crossbows." - he rises his own gun. "Allowed for short bursts of flight. Think you can mess with it?" - he looks at Thulwar.

Around the group, the long way up shows a sample of the many levels unfolding between the command room and the living quarters. As the platform moves up, the various levels are touched by light, first from the elevator itself, and then from flickering, uncertain lines on the walls and roof.

The first floor shows many large doors and walls, signaled in vivid colors and strange patterns. Amidst this, the strange silhouette of human like giants lay in place, as if petrified by spells cast long ago. Before they can see more, a second level flickers around, this time showing glass-walled rooms and several panels, like Amberilan's. Voices and sounds arise, lines and maps flickering on all screens. The third one, the control room, is just above, some twenty feet away. Suddenly, the elevator stops, producing a great shock!

[Ok, dex saving throw DC 12! Those who fail will fall prone!]

The lights go out, and the heroes are left in the dark, except for the flickering lights of the second and third floor. They're stuck in the middle, lights flickering against twisted metal and solid crates.
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION] [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]

Remove ads