D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

Shayuri

First Post
Icosa looks around, scanning the room for more of these strange, shadowy presences.

"I am not familiar with the names or organizations you mention. I am, at present, a free entity with no affiliation. I am here pursuing my own agenda." He pauses, then adds, "It is possible that I have lost memory I once possessed of those things, however."

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Finally back, guys! Sorry for the absence! For those who read this on other threads, please, forgive me for the repetition! For the ones that read this for the first time, I've been stuck with piles of work, but now I'm back with a proper schedule to follow! So, let's get this show on the road once more - for good, this time!]

EVERYONE

Thulwar's explosion brings yet another assassin down. Harfik's strikes aren't less effective, bleeding his own foe into submission. Behind them, Ajax shoots a new round against one of the assassins, bringing down another corpse. It falls strenuously, breaking up as it scatters dust and scarabs.

The last two contemplate the situation with concern. They realize they stand no chance against the heroes. Looking at each other, they seem to agree on some secret plan, a last resort formerly agreed upon, as it seems. With a quick coup, Harfik's enemy jabs himself in the chest once, twice, opening way for the scarabs to leave in rage! His green eyes shine one last time, right before the body opens, leaking green and allowing the small creatures to feast on whatever's left! His sacrifice is useless, but it is enough to allow the other one to turn and run into the shadows once more! Only the creature's dragged steps can be heard, given a clear sense of its position!

[Ook.... Numbers one through four, down! Number five runs! You can still know where five is, but it can't be seen anymore... It has moved all fifty feet into the darkness, towards south. Your actions, guys!]

MINI-SHEETS!

BURNING ASSASSINS

[SBLOCK]
The silent frontline of the Lost City of Amberilan.

ATTACK: +5/+4
DAMAGE: Thrown dagger (1d4+3 piercing); Longsword (1d8+2/1d10+2 slashing)
AC: 14
HP: 52
MOVEMENT: 50'/turn
SAVE THROWS: +3 WIS/DEX
SPECIAL: immune to poison/necrotic damage; sneak attack; swarm explosion (5' around the warrior, disadvantage; CON save throw DC 13, 1d6+2 damage in case of failure; triggered by choice and/or on death.)
[/SBLOCK]

ENEMY STATS

[SBLOCK]
Burning Assassin 1 - 0/52 DEAD
Burning Assassin 2 - -7/52 DEAD
Burning Assassin 3 - -1/52 DEAD
Burning Assassin 4 - 0/52 DEAD
Burning Assassin 5 - 52/52 FLEEING
[/SBLOCK]

@Neurotic @Shayuri @Greenmtn @JustinCase @industrygothica

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
”A bug is getting away,” Aanzu roars, starting after the remaining assassin. His draconic wings seem to grant the prince, if not more speed, at least an impressive asset that stresses his urgency.

OOC: Can Aanzu catch up with the running creature, with Dash if needed?

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

"I will get him." Harfik states coldly.

Harfik takes a deep breath as he sprints after the fleeing Assassin. After a few steps his feet seem to barely hit the ground. He catches up to his victim with impossible speed, turning in front of the assassin forcing it to stop or go around him.

"You chose to attack us. Now you must die or surrender." Harfiks tone is mater-of-fact and rigid. He will not negotiate.

OOC:
Glad to have you back!

Spending a Ki point to use a Dash as a bonus action giving me a movement of 90ft for this round so that I can catch up.

Readying my main action. If the assassin does anything other than surrender He will take a full attack action. I'll describe what ever happens in my next post.
Rolls just in case:Readied attack with teraphim sword: 1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23
1D6+8 = [5]+8 = 13
1D20+11 = [7]+11 = 18
1D6+8 = [3]+8 = 11

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Tink, lovi!"

To those understanding svirfneblin language, the command is clear. Such as his metallic follower. It rushes out faster than any human could run. Or at least that was what Thulwar thought before he saw Harfik run. But the beast effectively boxes the creature in.

Drinking one of his draughts, Thulwar moves after them, his darkvision having no problems with the murk of the cave. He doesn't run, but somehow he still covers the distance human might run in those few seconds.

[sblock=Actions]
Tink dashes 80', unless 40' is enough (in which case he attacks too)

Action: drink swiftstep
Move: 45' foward
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

[Aanzu can follow the fugitive as well, with dash if he so chooses. He can fly towards the enemy as well, using his own speed as parameter! Since you asked, @JustinCase, I'm just going to assume Aanzu did it - dashed in flight. I can change the description if this is not the case. Also, @Shayuri, you can follow or shoot the fugitive with your action as well!]

The undead assassin runs towards the darkness under another burst of shots from Ajax' suit. The shots land right in the assassin's back, burning both his armor and his flesh and throwing him of a bit. Still, he continues, almost vanishing into the room's blackness. A second salve comes from behind as Lylie shoots a ray of frost towards him! She misses, creating an icy spot on the floor as the undead evades her best efforts!

His steps are light and surprisingly fast! Even Harfik, advancing in unnatural leaps, has difficulty following the fugitive! The creature remains ten feet ahead, but still under the monk's gaze! Tink's heavy steps shake the floor as the creature follows the monk, rising a pair of menacing claws in hopes of reaching and egulfing the fugitive! By their side, Aanzu moves forward, wings sprung out as the raging prince tries to reach their coward enemy.

As the undead's body moves through the shadows, it gains a little advantage at every step. Oddly enough, it jumps, twists and leaps as it moves, as if trying to fool Tink, the monk and Aanzu.

The undead jumps forward, and suddenly Tink stops! Thulwar is the one to notice what's happening as he falls behind the trio: Tink halts right before stepping on a thin wire - the trigger to a trap! He even tries to use his left claw to halt Harfik, but it's in vain: instinctively, the monk dodges Tink's claw and continues, entirely focused on the fleeing enemy! The wire breaks under his feet, and from the floor before him a metal fence rises, plunging spikes against the monk's chest! In flight, Aanzu passes over the contraption, unscathed. The monk, though, has to act on his own instincts...

[Ok, @Greenmtn, roll for Reflexes against 15. If you succeed, you dodge the thing, taking no damage and losing no speed. If you fail, you gotta choose: either 9 points of damage or stopping dead on your tracks, giving your enemy 40' of advantage - one of your move actions. The enemy is now ten feet away from Aanzu, Harfik and Tink. Tink surrenders 40' trying to save Harfik from the trap... an odd choice, considering his master's orders...]

@Neurotic @Shayuri @Greenmtn @JustinCase

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Tink continues his pursuit, now several long steps behind the agile monk. Thulwar also continues to follow, his speed enhanced by his potion. He now goes as fast as the monk and manages to close the distance to the assassin, dashing by the trap even as Tink jumps over it. With Tink slowed down, they now run in parallel, big and small, strong and smart, physical and magical. A deadly combination of knowledge and physical power.

[sblock=Actions]
Tink: Dash 80'
Thulwar: Dash 90' - unless he can get within 30' of the creature with less :)
[/sblock]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aanzu ignores the trap, his wings carrying him harmlessly over it, his mind focused on only one thing: Making sure there are no survivors amongst the enemy.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

The heroes close in on the fugitive. The undead turns over his shoulder, grasping the aproximation of his foes just as he approaches the wall on the opposite side of the room. There, near the floor, a small opening has been carved. Clearly, he intends to jump in, fleeing from the hall! The heroes still have one last chance to stop him, but should they fail, the creature will most likely slide through the small path - and into the unknown darkness beyond!

[Ok, you have one shot to stop him! You can tackle, freeze, attack or do whatever you deem best. Some of these rolls will be contested, as you can imagine. The ones capable of stopping him now are Thulwar, Aanzu and Harfik. Go ahead and give me your actions!]

[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION]

Remove ads