• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] The Protectors of Greensfen (Part II)

covaithe

Explorer
Karis, who has been busy practicing throwing her new knife into the side of an abandoned building, stretches and agrees with Joshua. "Yes. If we sit around here much longer, we will lose the initiative and have to defend against further attacks. Worse, this Baradur might decide to move his lair."

nerdytenor

First Post
"Very well," Dardus says. "When you're done eating, I will take you to the jail cell to have your staged conversation."

After finishing up at the mess hall, Dardus leads you outside. You follow him through town, past the scene of your battle from the previous day, and to the jail. It looks mostly like any other small house in town, except the one window it has is very high off of the ground. There is one door into the house, on the side opposite the window.

"Wait here," Dardus whispers. "I'll see if the prisoner is awake. He should be able to hear anything you say through that window. Afterwards we can arrange for a private meeting with Todarr."

You wait a minute, and Dardus emerges. He gestures towards you, indicating that you should start your 'conversation' now.

Last edited:

PennStud77

First Post
Joshua Todarr speaking softly, as though he is trying to keep his voice from reaching through the walls into the holding cell, begins as if waiting on the side of the building, startled to see Joshua here. I thought you would be eating with the others, but if you wish to accompany me whilst I try to jar the tongue of this miscreant, I say the more the merrier. Perhaps your enchantments could add further flare to my threats.

The Digger

First Post
Joshua had difficulty holding back his tongue but did manage, after a fashion. He hissed in an angry whisper, "Jar his tongue! Jar his tongue! Better you should rip out his innards and burn them before his eyes. How many poor villagers have died because of him? Died by our hands I remind you! I think you are too soft by far for this chore. You want my enchantments to add flare? Certainly I will flare if you so wish; I'll flare his rotten eyes out. Or his privates! And then feed them to him!"

He turned to go.

"Do what you can, if you are determined. You can have your chance; and then it will be my turn."

PennStud77

First Post
Joshua Todarr sounding shocked you were the only one on my side, and now you, too, wish revenge on this man. I wish to know what he knows as well as you do, but hurting this man in a cell rather than the field of battle is wrong and I will have no part in it.

nerdytenor

First Post
"Well done," Dardus whispers to Todarr. "Go in now and have your talk. When you are done, meet me at my smithy. If all goes well, we will arrange for the 'escape'."

Dardus walks Todarr to the entrance of the jail and opens the door. There is a smallish cage in the center of the room - just large enough for the mage to stand up in, although he is sitting at the moment. There is a chair and a table near the door, with a guard sitting on the chair. Another guard stands outside the gate with a crossbow pointed at the mage.

"Guards, this man wants a word with the prisoner."
"In private," he adds, pointedly. The two guards are none too upset at the chance for a break, and step outside. "My men will be outside. You have five minutes." With this, Dardus leaves.

The mage looks at Todarr expectantly.

PennStud77

First Post
Todarr enters the cell silently, stoically waiting for the guards to leave. When the door to the shack shuts, Todarr snaps his eyes to the prisoner, but continues to wait as the sounds of the retreating footsteps and slight conversation soften to silence. After waiting another 5 seconds, Todarr very softly (with strength in his voice, added weight by his low tone) says You know why I am here, yes?

nerdytenor

First Post
"Not to kill me, I suspect," the mage answers dryly. "Nor to interrogate me, from the look on your face. If you are considering taking me up on my most generous offer to join Baradur's forces, I question whether you have eyes in your head. Have you looked around lately?" he says, pointing weakly at the cage surrounding him and motioning towards the table where the guard sat. "I have seen you in battle - you are a capable warrior, but I do not think the two of us can fight our way out of here together in my weakened state." The mage smiles briefly, pointing out a few slashes on his arms and some dull bruising. "This Dardus fellow likes inflicting pain a little more than he will admit."

"So what is it? What are you here for?"

PennStud77

First Post
"Not to kill me, I suspect," the mage answers dryly. "Nor to interrogate me, from the look on your face. If you are considering taking me up on my most generous offer to join Baradur's forces,
Todarr lets a flash of anger enter his eyes at the mention of betrayal so soon in the conversation. [OOC = this is me trying to sell the situation, and I imagine this would be the time for the Bluff roll. I have a +6, but will let you roll for my own verisimilitude]

Todarr lets him finish his speech nonetheless
"So what is it? What are you here for?"

Todarr makes eye contact with the mage and spits forcefully I did NOT come here to betray my allies and the people of this town which YOU have betrayed, then looks down as he adds with a low growl: But you have read me well, mage. Nor have I come to kill you.

Todarr turns away from the prisoner and paces 2 steps away, turns, 2 steps back to original position, thinking, before looking up at the prisoner, and continuing in a low voice I have too much honor to let even such as you be hurt in cold blood, so yes, I would rather see you away from here under these new conditions. Then speaking faster, as if he has now resigned himself to the course of action, despite its ramifications True I could take many but might hesitate enough to make the difference if facing one of my allies..... shifting his eyes back and forth, chewing on this last revelation, then giving in, with a very low voice but I am set to take a watch in several hours. I believe that would give us the fewest obstacles to getting you out. It would be hours until the next watch, and would give us a great head start towards this Baradur.

nerdytenor

First Post
The mage scoffs. "Come now, I'm no fool. You really would have me believe you are sparing me out of some sort of honor? You are a warrior - you must know well what that means."

That annoying grin sneaks into the mage's face again. "Why not admit it? You seek money. Now, don't be ashamed - there's nothing wrong with it. A desire for money is often the first step in fulfilling the true desire - the desire for power. I trust the pitiful residents of Greensfen offerred you some reward, and have not paid. Am I mistaken? Hmmm?"

The mage's grin intensifies as he senses anger in the Dragonborn.

"Very well, you may pretend to do this for your honor. But know that I am not fooled. Baradur takes good care of his children, of that you can be sure. Perform well, and you will have all the money you desire."

The mage sits down, crosslegged. "I will be meditating here, awaiting your arrival and concentrating my powers. Do whatever is necessary to prepare, and I will show you the way to your new master when you are ready."

[sblock=OOC]
Bluff check 1d20+6 = 7. Doh! Reflected in the mage's not buying your stated reasons, but I think this potential story line is a good one so not going to be ruled by the roll.
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads