D&D 5E [IC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

Uller

Adventurer
Yeah. The intention is for RP moments where you and Glabbagol talk back and forth with info that will go to the party anyway to just do it on the IC thread rather than PM. Most of the time it'll just be ooc info dumps on PM and JustinCase can relate what he chooses.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EN World mobile app

Uller

Adventurer
With groans everyone begins to gather themselves up. Every time you feel like you have caught a break, something goes wrong. From what Erevan is able to get from Glabbagool, Sarith tells you the drow that came to Sloobludop were most likely scouts working for Ilvara, not Ilvara herself, but she won't be far behind. It won't be hard for Ilvar to "convince" some surviving kuo-toa to guide her through the lake the same way Shuushar is doing for you...

In a short time you are back on the water. The lake quickly becomes less lake-like and much more water filled tunnel like. The going is grueling. Narrow tunnels must be navigated, sandy shallows traversed. At one point you actually have to completely disembark and drag your boats and supplies over a muddy, rocky embankment before getting back in. Shuushar shows Ezraen the ins and outs of navigation. The place is a maze. But at decision points, ancient marks left by some unknown race give indications of destinations that can be reached via a particular passage. The marks are hard to understand and none reference any existing settlements (the marks pre-date any existing settlement in the area). But instead they reference existing landmarks or known features. They are difficult to spot. More often than not you have to know exactly what to look for and where. You quickly realize that without Shuushar, navigating the lake would be very very difficult.

OOC: Unless you tell me otherwise, I'm assuming a normal pace and normal food consumption

Uller

Adventurer
You notice very early that Darklake earns its name. There is NO light anywhere. The light "torch" is on the boat with Bertram and Surana. Bert holds it to help Surana maneuver the boat. It doesn't take long before you realize the light seems to attract some of the lake's strange fauna. Small fish. Strange crablike creatures. Creatures that defy categorization. At one point you'd swear you saw a "humanoid" crab faerie-like creature...it seemed to click/laugh at you before diving into the watery black.

DMAesh

Explorer
Ezraen frowns, I dislike having to worry about what's below as well as what is around us. Let's keep an eye out for those things then.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"We should be cautious with lights," Erevan suggest, whispering without realizing it. The whole lake, quiet as it is, seems foreboding, dangerous. The elf is clearly uncomfortable, but he spends a lot of time in silent communication with his new familiar.

The cat stands in the boat with its front paws on the edge, looking around in apparent amazement.

Uller

Adventurer
OOC: You can decide to douse the light to avoid attracting predators but then other tasks become more difficult. Foraging, noticing ambushes and hazards and navigating are all done at disadvantage. Even Shuushar relies on a little light to be sure he notices the signs he is looking for. Oh, and if you do with very limited light, then Surana will make all piloting checks at a disadvantage. If you do with no light, Surana can't pilot a boat.

Also, I was incorrect on the keelboat hp. They have 100 hp, not 300. So two boats have 100 hp and one has 85. You have supplies and tools for 50 hp of repairs.

You continue on this way for a couple of days. The going is slow and often frustrating. Darkness is always present pressing in on you.

You come to an area of fairly uniform round tunnels that crisscross one another. They are very similar to the one you were trapped in before you found the Oozing Temple.

The currents in these tunnels can be quite strong. Occasionally it forces the those piloting the boats to make quick maneuvers to avoid crashing into the walls or the other boats. Each pilot must make three DC 13 piloting checks using dex or str (your choice for this one).

Remove ads