D&D 5E [IC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

Uller

Adventurer
Shushar, the drow-blooded paladin turns to the Kuo-toa, Do you think that you could navigate your way to Gracklestugh?

Shushar is walking in circles (something he does when he's nervous). "Huh? Oh. Yes. I can get you to Gracklstugh. We best get some boats and get moving. Eventually my brethren will return and I don't expect they'll treat us as well as last time."

OOC:
So you are heading back into the village to look for supplies (and [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] mentioned any unattended loot). You will find the two boats and supplies your hosts had prepared for you easily enough. Erevan would probably remember that there was a pile of offerings in the Ploop's (the Archpriest to the Sea Mother) tent that was probably the choicer stuff from the shrine. How much time do you want to spend searching? Anywhere else?

You are going to Gracklstugh by boat. then? How far do you go before you long rest and do you take any precautions? The lake isn't a lake in the proper sense. It is a series of pools, large and small lakes all connected by a maze of (usually) water filled tunnels. Shushar can probably find some solid ground to rest on once you are away.

I want to just kind of narrate this part of your journey until something really interesting happens rather narrate day by day travel.

DMAesh

Explorer
OOC: I think that we should try to head out, if Shushar let's us know that there may be 'islands' out there that we could rest on. If not, we do our scavenging, then pick out a shelter to rest and after that we can head out...

Uller

Adventurer
As you come into what remains of Sloobludop, there are few signs of life. The fishing net "walls" are mostly washed away or buried by rubble. A few huts outside the village still stand by most of the ones inside have been toppled. You do spot a few kuo-toa lingering about, but when they see you, they slink away. Leaderless and despondent, they seem to have little interest in you.

The docks are all destroyed. Splintered zurkhwood and planks floating in the still dark water of the lagoon is all that remains. Your hearts sink when you see toppled and ruined keelboats, but then, you notice a little down the shore your two boats. Miraculously they seem to have been pushed by a wave and grounded on the beach. They are still loaded with your supplies!

There is enough room on each keelboat for one pilot and 6 passengers (Derendil counts as 3 and Drum none). So two is barely enough to fit you all. There is a third keelboat nearby that is also seems to be in pretty good shape but is a little bit damaged. Shuushar begins gathering tools and ropes from nearby and instructing others to do the same. You quickly realize that your kuo-toa hosts had apparently not outfitted your boats completely. Perhaps they didn't intend for you to get very far? When asked Shuushar just kind of shrugs and acknowledges that it is likely the kuo-toa hoped your boats would become stranded or damaged and then they could just collect back their boats and supplies.

OOC:
You can decide if you want three boats or just the two. The one has 250/300 hp. The two that are loaded are undamaged.

The 'altar' to the Deep Father is gone. There is no sign of the strange carcasses bound to it. There are bodies of kuo-toa and strange stingray like creatures all around, some still locked in mortal struggle. Many float in the water. Many more are washed up on the land. You recall that right before Demogorgon appeared, the kuo-toa in the water began being attacked by something under the surface. You realize it must have been these creatures. They are about 3 feet from wingtip to wingtip with a tail 5 or 6 feet long. Sarith informs you they are called "Ixitxachital". Shuushar claims that are an intelligent and malevolent being that hunt in the waters for Darklake and rejoice in capturing and torturing other sentient creatures before eating them or sacrificing them. The ritual that brought Leemoogoogoon probably attracted them as well.
tumblr_inline_mqkjxcDHIY1qz4rgp.png

The hovel that Blopp emerged from is knocked down and appears to have been pushed several feet but does not appear to have been touched since the destruction of the village. You see no signs of the bodies of Blopp or Ploop.

The Shrine of the Sea Mother is completely toppled. It's strange lobster/crayfish creature carcass is gone, probably obliterated by a swipe of Demogorgon's huge tentacles. Ploop's tent is partially standing. It appears no one has been back to it since the disaster.

Erevan is the first one in but Bertram is right behind. In the corner where Erevan had earlier noticed a sack and a pile of trinkets that appeared to be some of the choicer "offerings" you see the sack and trinkets are still there. There are fishbone combs, tools and decorative "jewelry" made of strange shells and polished stone. The sack has some definite heft to it and jingles with the sound of coin.

OOC:
You can count it out later when you get your opportunity to rest...but there are well over 2,500 coins (mostly silver but some copper, gold and even a few platinum as well), along with 2 or 3 potions and a scroll.

You don't see anything else of obvious value or interest in the area nor do you see any signs of immediate threats. Within 15 minutes or so of finding the keelboats, Shuushar (with the help of others) has them ready to go.

Last edited:

DMAesh

Explorer
Ezraen looks at everyone, then at the boats, Perhaps, to be safe, we should take all three boats. After seeing those Ixi-mawhatsits, having an extra boat may save us.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Erevan walks around as if in a daze, muttering to himself.

"Yes, yes," he replies absentmindedly when Ez suggests they take three boats.

Several times the elf looks back at where Glabbagool surely perished. "No fair," he whispers before suddenly looking off into the distance, beyond the water.

"Could've sworn..." Erevan starts, before shaking his head. "No, can't be."

Concentrating on what's before him, Erevan gathers the stuff they found amidst the rubble and loads it into the boats.

"Apologies," he says to the others. "My grief seems to play tricks om my mind. I thought I sensed Glabbagool nearby, which is obviously impossible."

Once more Erevan looks into the distance, before smiling thinly.

DMAesh

Explorer
Ezraen puts a reassuring hand on Erevan's shoulder, a sad smile on his face, then turns to help get the last of the boats ready to push off, Let us leave this place of horrors behind us and find our way home!

Uller

Adventurer
Once your keelboats are loaded and everyone is ready to go, Shuushar (while piloting the lead boat), leads you out into the lake. Soon you are beyond the sight of any walls or ceiling. Just dark water surrounded by nearly complete darkness in every direction. The dim light of the ruins of Sloobludop quickly fades away. But after just a few hours, you begin to realize the ceiling is lowering and a wall appears on your right. Sheer, solid rock rises up out of the water up to a solid layer of rock above, like a vast slab of stone fell to lean over another massive rock. You have no idea how deep the water is, but your poles and oars cannot touch the bottom. When asked how deep, Shuushar shrugs and says "bottomless as far as I know." He guides his craft close to the rock wall and soon you find a gaping hole in the face of the rock near the water level large enough for your boats to easily fit inside. Once all three craft are inside you find a stony beach in a dark but fairly large and dry cave. Shuushar instructs you to beach your boats there.

Here you can take a long rest and your level up can apply. Shuushar explains that to get to Gracklstugh you should first go to the grove where he spent so much time as a hermit. It is about 6 days away, through mostly water filled tunnels and wide lakes (although there are a few places where you will have to get out and carry your boats over rocky terrain). There is good water there ("DO NOT drink the water of Darklake! It is poison!") that you can use to replenish your stocks. He says with some luck we will find a spring or two along the way as well (we'll have to make some foraging checks to maintain your water supply).

From there it is another 8 days to The Great Locks of Grundlahvian. These are a series of locks and canals that the Duergar (or someone) built long ago to circumvent an area of waterfalls and rapids. There are safe places to rest there as well and the locks still function. You will need to use them to raise your keelboats up the the 500' to the level that Gracklshugh is on. Then the final leg of your trip will be another 5 or 6 days to The City of Blades (only the Duergar really call it Gracklstugh).

You have 3 boats. One is damaged (250/300 hp). You have enough tools and supplies to do 150 hp worth of repairs to a boat. Repairs can be done as part of a long rest. You have enough food to remain in good supply for the entire trip if you travel at a normal pace and are not delayed. You can carry enough water for 5 days at normal rations, with luck you will find more or Orsik will have to cast Purify Food and Drink once to get you the rest of the way.

Before you get started, I need a roster of who is on what boat. Each boat requires one pilot (I think only Shuushar is proficient in piloting a keel boat) and can hold up to 6 passengers (Derendil counts as 3, Drum counts as none). Also, tell me how you spread your supplies out. Shuushar suggests putting half in the middle boat and one quarter in each of the front and rear boats because those two are most likely to be damaged or attacked. If you let Shuushar pilot the boat with the most supplies he is more likely to be able to protect them from getting lost than someone untrained (Strength and dex can both be useful for piloting a keelboat...strength more often than dex).

Talk among yourselves for your plan. Orsik will prepare Purify Food and Drink and Bertram will prepare Goodberry.

Shuushar helps you draw a map and gives you some insight to the secrets of navigating the lake. He informs you there are ancient marks that indicate different routes to different points in and around the lake. As long as you can spot these you can have a pretty good idea of where you are and how to go. But still it takes many years of practice to really master it.

DMAesh

Explorer
OOC: I can also prepare purify food and drink if need be. I have 3 spells a day, and can reserve one for us and free up Orsik for healing, if we need it. I would probably like whoever has the best Perception with darkvision up front with Shuushar, and I can be in the back to be lookout for rear guard. There should be someone with a decent Strength and/or Dexterity in each boat in case we get in troubled waters. Any other ideas? Bertram should be fishing and goodberry-ing when he can. Eldeth can probably help with the foraging/fishing as well. Do we want one PC in each boat, or do we want two up front and one in back? Or perhaps another combo?

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
Here are the spells Orsik normally has prepared. He could probably just replace create water with purify food and drink. Casting create water will give the party one day of water. Purify food and drink replenishes your entire supply (all you have to do is refill your water casks and then cast it and presto...5 or 6 days of drinkable water.

Just let me know if what you want him to prepare.

Remove ads