log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (River Gang)

GM:
See http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-of-the-Dracolich/page7&p=7095989#post7095989 for the intro to this game.

This is the thread for the characters of River Song, Ancalagon, Eayres33, and Tglassy. (Having phone formatting issues)




Kurzon, Udit, Drako, Auraia, and Aquaria gather together and make their introductions. They quickly locate Loklafd, the Reghedman spoken of by Imani. (DM note: He is also the man with the prosthetic leg). Loklafd has already built one watercraft, and is stretching animal skin over the light wood framework of another.

"These Kayaks will carry two men, and are not difficult to carry down the mountain. It will take me ten or fifteen minutes to finish this one, and another half an hour for a third." He explained in this thick, northern accent.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

GM: I have been asked to describe the overall land. Much of this can't be seen by the characters, but it will save me explaining it later:

There are two neighboring peaks: Imani's camp is on a nice grassy green hill with some trees, of rounded granite and limestone (we will call Greenpeak). It is hidden from view behind a lightly forested ridge, which then plunges into a high river valley. The river winds and travels from north to south. Across the river, to the east, rises a nasty looking peak of blackened crags (we will call Blackpeak).

At the base of Blackpeak there is a stone structure, a large gate built into the side of the mountain (the Temple Gate). The land on the east bank of the river is covered by black stones, as if the crags "shed" rocks; there is no sign of the peak losing mass to an avalanche. A road runs along the east bank of the river, winding through the larger of the "avalanche" stones, past a granite tower, partially buried into the side of the crags. (the Watchtower). The watchtower overlooks a stone bridge, which takes the road to the west side of the river, where it winds down a switchback, heading south. (The overall land travels downward as you travel south).

As the river flows past the Temple Gates, it tumbles over short waterfalls and rapids, under the bridge, and then over steeper waterfalls and rapids to the south. It is fed by mountain streams, mostly from the west, and Greenpeak. Further north, up the river, the river splits into a small side-stream, that pours into a cave in the north side of Blackpeak. On the south side of Blackpeak, (across both the road and the river) there is a large cave, high in the side of the crags, overlooking a vast forested valley to the south.

I hope that helps. Any questions?
 
Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit looks at the boat doubtfully - he thought he could handle one just fine, but what about the others? He rubbed his chin.

"Ok, huh, let me get this straight. You want us to get north of Blackpeak, then take these boats down the "side stream" flowing south, into a cave on the north side of Blackpeak right?"

"So... how far is this north-side cave from the watchtower? Can the people in the watch tower see this side stream? We're going that way to avoid the main gate, but there is not much point if we're in plain view of everyone..."

"and how is the other gang going to cross the river? They are going on the south side and the river there sounds pretty rough..."

Udit kneels down and starts scratching in the dirt

OOC: I will post his drawing but not tonight, it's late!
 

River Song

Explorer
Looking decidedly unsure about the boats Kurzon looked at it sceptically. "I guess I might need to take the old armour here off, eh?"

With a laugh and a shake of his head he looks over at what Udit is drawing and starts to take his armour off.
 

Loklafd holds a hand up to Kurzon "The kayak will support your armour - just don't fall out of her. You sit down deep like a sack of turnips. Your gear goes in your lap. Weapons by your sides, though they may be hard for you to get out."

He shrugs as if he expects that he wouldn't have that problem. "However, shields must be tied to the bow or stern. They will protect her from rocks. Paddling is easy - you will be fine."

Then to Udit, "I have not been there, but from what I am told, I will put you in far enough upriver to be out of sight from the watchtower. Just do not pass the side-stream and go down the main river. It gets very steep there and might be hard on the kayak. And get you seen."

He finishes the second Kayak, and is informed that he doesn't need to make a third. He looks impressed that Aquaria plans to swim.

"Let us carry these down to the river. The path is steep and with my leg - " he pats it, "I will have enough trouble. One person front, one back. Do not bash her on rocks."

With that, he gets up, and with only a slight limp, begins a trek down a winding animal trail.

OOC: Gonna try a task-resolution style I just thought of. Tell me if you hate it. Narrate your results. Feel free to add whatever story elements you like.


GM: Task: get the kayaks to the river without damaging them.
Done by: Kurzon and Udit (with help from the others) One Kayak each.
Check: Athletics (w/advantage from help)
DC >14 = No problems
DC <14 = You bash the kayak while carrying it over some difficult terrain. It takes [roll0] damage.
DC <7 = You drop the kayak and it slides away before being retrieved. It takes [roll1] damage.

Edit: I suppose you would like to know, the kayaks are well-built, but not tough. They have AC 12 and 16 HP.
 
Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Drako looks at the kayaks, it had been a while since he had been on the water but with what laid ahead it was the least of his worries.

Walking over to Kurzon he saw his skeptical gaze at the kayak, “Don’t worry too much about the boat, we should be fine. I’ll help you get this one down to the river.”
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit has done drawing his map on the dirt

"uh, so is this right?

We have the good mountain facing the evil mountain, divided by the river valley. The other guys are going south and drowning in the river rapids... or maybe not, and then going in through the south.

We're doing north via the side stream... but what does the road do north? "
 

Attachments

  • udit dirt map 1.jpg
    udit dirt map 1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 7,398
Last edited:

"uh, so is this right?

We're doing north via the side stream... but what does the road do north? "

OOC: Very very close, though the road switches back in the south, less so the river (and the river winds more, overall). Lastly, the watchtower is south of the gate. To answer your question, after passing by the Watchtower, the road terminates at the gate. Otherwise, your map is pretty much correct. Now go carry a kayak!


Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app
 

tglassy

Adventurer
Aquaria looks skeptically at the kayaks, a look her sister shares.

"Better you than me," she said to her sister.

Auraia rolls her eyes. "Whatever, let's get this over with." She moves to help lift a kayak.


Sent from my iPhone using EN World
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Udit listens to the correction to the map but doesn't do much modifications - the errors are to the south, not where they are going.

"Uh, so there is a road going *to* the gate? Huh. Who made the road? Is it still being used? It's hard work building a road, we Lamarakhi know, that's why we use boats! Just how much manpower does this cult have?"

"well, we better get going, glad we're going north. I can carry one of those kayak, I have good boots! But yeah, help is nice" He adds with a smile.

athletics check with advantage to carry one kayak : 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19
1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16
 

River Song

Explorer
Dressed just in his underclothes, Kurzon, with help from Drako, manhandles the kayak with no semblance of elegance into the water. "There, what could go wrong?"

[sblock=actions]

[roll0]
[roll1]

[/sblock]
 

Location: North River (Calm pool)

The kayaks are carried without incident, down the animal trail to a spot where the river splits around an island, covered in birch trees. The chanel on this side is relatively calm compared to the rushing main channel, and it creates a deep pool before rejoining the main river around a curve. It would be a nice place to fish if there were time, and it makes a good place to launch the kayaks and get a little practice in before the difficulty of the river.

Kurzon and Drako take one Kayak and Udit and Auraia the other. Armour, weapons, and gear are stowed over your legs. Shields are strapped to the bow (and stern if we have more than two). Aquaria dives in.

After some brief instruction by Loklafd, they have the basic hang of it, and the group heads into the river proper. Loklafd waves at you and says something lost to the roar of the surf. Immediately you find it to be much more difficult. But you make it down the river, hearts racing, until you come to the spot where the side-stream splits off. The split is caused by a spire of black rock, fiendish and sharp. At the same point, the river falls over some strong rapids. "Threading the needle" to get the kayaks into the side chanel may be a bit tricky...

GM:
Task: Get yourselves into the side chanel.
Who: Everyone. Aquaria has found swimming in the river to be difficult at best. She can roll with advantage, but she still has to roll to not hurt herself. The kayaks are cooperative, but when it comes down to it, it takes both occupants (so no help action)
Checks: Athletics or Strength (Watercraft)
A combined DC of 30 for both occupants (when added together) will make it no problem.
Otherwise, each occupant must make dc15 or the kayak takes [roll0] damage and each occupant takes half that (3). If Both occupants fail, the kayak takes the damage twice and goes over the rapids and the occupants must make a dc12 dex save or fall out. If one occupant succeeds, you hit the rock but make it into the side channel.
Feel free to embellish if you roll second for your kayak (and therefore know your result.) Otherwise I'll do it. As always, go to ooc if you have questions!
 
Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: If you have the tool proficiency: water vehicle, does this help any? It's one of the perks for being a sailor... and Udit is a riverman.
 


Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: I have both the athletic skills and the tool proficiency is what I should have specified. Ah well, let's roll those electrons.

OOC 2: We never established who was with whom in which boat, so I'm just going to assume that the boat carriers also went together in the boats.

Udit, in the lead boat, shouts as loudly as he can:

"HARD LEFT, HARD LEFT, GO LEFT!!!"

He thrust his paddle in the churning water, using all his strength and skill to deflect the boat towards the side stream.

Tool Proficiency: Water Vehicle check, based on strength : 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17


Udit cursed the Wizard bitterly - already this was going pear shaped. The rapids were supposed to begin *after* the side stream! What else had the Wizard lied about?
 

River Song

Explorer
Kurzon son of Dax

Kurzon cursed as the kyak slid and slipped across the water surface with a mind of its own, starting to feel a little ill he struggled to get the boat across.

[roll0]
 

Udit cursed the Wizard bitterly - already this was going pear shaped. The rapids were supposed to begin *after* the side stream! What else had the Wizard lied about?

OOC: 1: I don't think tools ever stack with skills, oddly enough. It's one or the other.
2: He didn't lie. The river has tricky bits throughout, but the rapids get bad just after the spire, which is where the side stream splits off. The rapids are just getting started there. Getting into the side stream avoids the rapids.


GM: So far so good. There is no chance of going over the rapids for either kayak. Drako now only needs a 12, and Auraia a 13 to avoid the black spire altogether and then a quick trip down the side stream and into the cave.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: Of course the wizard didn't lie, he just wasn't completely explicit. But Udit has a pretty low opinion of him already so...

Udit glances behind him to see the other boat sliding left - good but they weren't out of here quite yet. "Come on Auraia, we can do it but I need your help!" as he used his paddle to push against a submerged rock. "Kurzon Drako watch for that rock!"

Assuming the boats both make it (or heck, *especially* if one doesn't lol) Udit will immediately begin looking ahead for a landing point for the kayaks.
 


tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: Would Aquaria's "Shape Water" cantrip be of any use here? As in, could she use that to make the swim easier on her? Or would that just give advantage, which she already fumbled?
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top