log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Dispensables)

GM: The introduction to this game can be found at http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-of-the-Dracolich/page7&p=7095989#post7095989

This is the thread for the characters of [MENTION=40234]Celestial[/MENTION], [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION], [MENTION=6877470]Prickly Pear[/MENTION], and [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]


Location: Basecamp - south side (Greenpeak)

A group of Adventurers consisting of Devan, Bobranthus, Sesto, Terrus, and Pyrus set out from the mountain camp of the Wizard Imani, heading south.

Corrah the halfling hustles to catch up, grabbing Bobranthus by the arm she looks way up at him and says, "I will show you fellows the way to the caves. You will be crossing the road on the way, and there's a wagon of nasty mercenaries coming up the road. Wouldn't you like to bash some evil heads?"
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

GM: I have been asked to describe the overall land. Much of this your characters can't see, but it's information they can find out, and this might help you imagine the overall scene...

There are two neighboring peaks: Imani's camp is on a nice grassy green hill with some trees, and rounded granite and limestone (we will call Greenpeak) It is hidden from view behind a lightly forested ridge, which then plunges into a high river valley. The river winds and travels from north to south. Across the river, to the east, rises a nasty looking peak of blackened craigs (we will call Blackpeak). At the base of Blackpeak there is a stone structure, a large gate built into the side of the mountain (the Temple Gate). The land on the east bank of the river is covered by black stones, as if the craigs "shed" rocks; there is no sign of the peak losing mass to an avalanche. A road runs along the east bank of the river, winding through the larger of the "avalanche" stones, past a granite tower, partially burried into the side of the craigs. (the Watchtower). The watchtower overlooks a stone bridge, which takes the road to the west side of the river, where it winds down a switchback, heading south. (The overall land travels downward as you travel south).

As the river flows past the Temple Gates, it tumbles over short waterfalls and rapids, under the bridge, and then over steeper waterfalls and rapids to the south. It is fed by mountain streams, mostly from the west, and from Greenpeak. Further north, up the river, the river splits into a small side-stream, that pours into a cave in the north side of Blackpeak. On the south side of Blackpeak, (across both the road and the river) there are caves, high in the side of the craigs, overlooking a vast forested valley to the south.

I hope that helps. Any questions?
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Sesto stops in his tracks and looks around at the small halfling and the large human. "Evil and nasty mercenaries?" he ponders to himself. Is this true or is it maybe just some competition for the retrieval of the Diamond Staff of Chomylla? Sesto try to read Corrah's face to gain some insight into what she says. While he carefully looks at the halfling he says to Corrah: "Evil presence must be stopped. No doubt about that. But what have these mercenaries done that is so evil?"
Insight roll [roll0]
 

"Well, to start," she says in all honesty, "They're about to take up with the Cult of the Dragon. Past that, they work for the Beast." (as if that needs no further explanation).
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
"That's fair enough," says Sesto and then looks uncertainly at Bobranthus, Pyrus, Devan and Terrus, "but I do not know about this "Beast". Can you tell us some more?"
 

Chronicler

Explorer
[sblock="Status Box"]Devan the Dawnbringer
NG (L) Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception 13

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 18 | Hit Dice: 1d6+3d8+8+1 | Hit Points: 30

Spell Slots: 1st-lvl: 2, [W] 2nd-lvl: 2 | Concentration: None

Affected by: None | Conditions: None[/sblock] Devan squinted off into the distance, his blue eyes narrowed nearly into slits. A gloved hand, his unencumbered one, shaded his brow from the ruddy rays of the sinking sun. He quietly scanned the winding switchback in an attempt to catch sight of the mercenaries that their halfling guide had said were approaching.

After a few moments, he turned his gaze back upon Corrah. "When you scouted them earlier, did you get an accurate headcount of their group?" he asked her. With only the six of them, a direct confrontation could be tricky if they were outnumbered by a wide margin. But the Inquisitor was quite confident in his team's abilities that it was only a minor concern at best.

Because he knew that with him and Sesto both present, Lathander was assuredly on their side. And as favored devotees of the sun, they were unconquerable.


 

@Prickly Pear

"He's a mercenary captain from near Iriaebor. His men are brutal, horrible, mercenaries of the worst kind. They'd eat your mother if there was money in it." Corrah whistled, "And here they are, working for the Dragon Cult."


At Celestial:

"There's eight of them - some big mean looking ones, too." her eyes narrowed, "but I know a place where we can get some good cover behind some rocks, where they will have a heck of a time getting at us."

"Anyone up for a good, old-fashioned ambush?"

OOC: I hadn't noticed you both follow Lathander. That is fortuitous.
 
Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
"if we get up higher than them, I can make it almost impossible for them to reach us," Pyrus said. "I can place a sheet of ice on the slope to where we are based, and settle them with a fear of traversing it. Any that try to come within range to attack will more often than not find themselves slipping back to where they started."

OOC: With Mastery of Ice's power "Ice Sheet", he can make a 20" cube layered with ice. It becomes difficult terrain, causes them to make a dex saving throw or fall prone every 10 feet, and if it's on a slope, they fall to the bottom.

With Mantle of Fear, Pyrus can make it so any enemies within 60 feet have to spend 1 extra foot of movement for every move they make towards him. This, combined with the icy difficult terrain, cuts their movement down to about 7 feet per round.


Terrus heard all this about an ambush, and wasn't too happy about it. "I prefer to meet my enemies close," he said. "I can, however, make it so none of us leave any tracks to find as we move to this hiding place. They will not know we are here. And I suppose once the fighting starts, I could use my crossbow, and leap over the ice and into the melee once that proves inefficient."

OOC: As an Earth Genasi, Terrus can cast Pass WIthout Trace, which includes himself and party members, once per long rest.


Both look to the others to see if these skills will be useful.
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
"I like the sound of that, Pyrus. Let's keep the mercenaries at a distance until we thin out their ranks a little," Sesto said. "Terrus, I think we will get close and personal with our enemies before long. I, too, like to whack my enemies in close quarter."

Thinking out loud, Sesto mutters; "I can ask my God to bless some of us before the fight and that usually is of great help. Hopefully we can dispatch of these mercenaries without too much difficulty. If worse comes to worst then I have long training in medicine and I will be able to clean and patch any wounds that you might have attained. Let's pray it will not come to that."

Sesto looks over to Devan and Bobrathus, and asks: "What do you think of the plan?"
 

Location: Greenpeak Ridge South

"Well *I* like it!" said Corrah, showing the way down a short but steep slope. "Hey! From just up here, you can see the bridge and the watchtower, if you're careful to stay behind those rocks!"

GM: If you'd like to look at the bridge and watchtower, you can do so without a perception check, but you must make a stealth check to avoid being spotted by the lookouts. The rocks (and the distance) provides advantage on the check.


Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app
 
Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Bobranthus listens to the plan with a slight frown and then givesa solemn nod. "I will gladly bash these heads. Let us set this trap."

Meanwhile he creeps up to the indicated spot to study the landscape before them. For such a large man he seems to move with the grace of a slender feline. When he wishes to.

_: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [18, 8]+4 = 22


OOC: A bit out of practice with Bob's playstyle.


Squirrels are evil!
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Sesto is impressed by how smoothly Bobranthus moves between the rocks as he heads towards the lockout spot. Sesto then looks down on his chainmail and shakes his head. "I think I'd better stay here and wait for Bobranthus to come back and report. I do not want to risk giving away our position at this point. Even with the guidance of the mighty Lathander, I think I will make to much noise creeping up there."
Sesto continues to watch Bobranthus and then says: "I hope there is a better place to set up the ambush. A place that is easier to get too"


OOC: I have disadvantage with heavy armour but advantage due to the terrain, and with Guidance, the best I can achieve is 1d20+1d4+1 (avg 14). Better not to risk it. I'll go there if that's the best spot for the ambush but not before then!
 

Location: Ridge Trail (Greenpeak Ridge South)

"Oh, you can't ambush anything from here. This is just a good spot to have a peek at the watchtower. The switchback is still a ways that way" Corrah points to the south and down. A large, hairy weasle-like creature comes out from under a stack of rocks in that direction and starts digging at the root of a bush.

Meanwhile, Bob gets a good view of the Watchtower - just over a thousand feet away. Four mercenaries man their post on the top of a tower nestled somewhat unnaturally in the side of Blackpeak. The dark stone of the peak reaches around the lower-levels of the granite tower like an embrace. In the dark rock, on the outside of the tower, a narrow staircase descends to the road.

At the top of the tower, where the guards are visible, there is a wooden trap-door. The only obvious way in. Lower down, facing the road, the tower has arrow-slits on three levels.

The road travels past the tower to the north (Bob's left) Bob can only just make out the Temple Gates at the road's end in that direction. To see them better he would be spotted. To the south (Bob's right) the road comes closer, and crosses a granite bridge. It continues out of sight travelling downward, and south.

Across the whole scene between Bob and the tower runs the river, frothy and white, as it plunges over rapids under the bridge, flowing south. Here and there, spikes of black stone jut out of the river like strange ugly teeth.

OOC: Anyone else who wants to look will see the same, unless they fail a DC 12 stealth check. And then they will see a guard point at them and send another guard down the trapdoor in a hurry.
 
Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Bob bunkers down and spends several minutes studying the terrain while looking for ways to approach the tower unseen, if any. He also takes the time to study the guards behaviours for a pattern that could be exploited.

Once satisfied he skulls back to the others all that he has seen.

Squirrels are evil!
 

GM: The only way to get at the tower is to cross the river. Here, the rapids are so bad that you'd have to use the bridge. There is no way to get at the tower on the east bank from the south, as Blackpeak wraps around the tower on that side. You could cross the river far to the north, but then you would pass the gate to get to the tower. No, the only effective approach is the bridge. And if they do nothing else, the guards watch the bridge quite diligently.


Satisfied that assaulting the tower would be quite difficult, Bob returns to the group, which hurries for the ambush site.

As you travel south, you come to a place where the south side of Greenpeak collapsed many years ago. The avalanche rerouted the river east, where it spreads out wide, but shallow(er) abd cascades over a waterfall.

Also many years ago, some hardworking folk cleared some of the avalance to build the road, which follows, in part, the old riverbed. The road is still terribly rocky, and only a few trees (but quite a few shrubs) have found purchase in the rocky terrain. Here and there, more of those "black teeth" rocks jut out from the ground, unnaturally.

What's left of this part of Greenpeak ridge still masks the view of the downward part of the road, but you can clearly hear the groan of the wagon, and the curses of the mercenaries, as they negotiate their wagon up one of the nearby switchbacks (a difficult and frustrating task).

Running down the road, and then climbing into the rocks just before the wagon would be visible, Corrah leads you to an excellent spot to ambush.

GM: While the mercenaries are not expecting an ambush, this is such a good spot for one that they naturally can't help but be wary. How good of a spot you can get to before they spot you depends on how much you want to miss losing surprise. You can get to a spot 10 to 30 feet from the road (You chose) with good cover (+5) and an easy way down with a DC 16 Stealth Check. You can get to good cover 100 to 60 feet up the hill, dangerous to get down, with a DC 12 Stealth Check. Or you can stay 120 feet or more up the road (no cover, though you can run for cover during the fight) with no check by hiding by the ridge. If any of these checks fail, you both lose surprise, and all those distances increase by 30 feet when combat starts. Decide and roll! Questions welcome.


Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app
 
Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: lets go to the best spot. Terrus will cast Pass Without Trace. It gives everyone's stealth checks a +10, and we won't leave any trace we were there. That's my vote.

So I say 30 ft from the road, so Pyrus can freeze the ground.



Sent from my iPhone using EN World
 

Chronicler

Explorer
[sblock="Status Box"]Devan the Dawnbringer
NG (L) Human Sorcerer 1/Warlock 3

Size: M | Speed: 30 ft. | Senses: Passive Perception 13

Initiative: +2 | Armor Class: 18 | Hit Dice: 1d6+3d8+8+1 | Hit Points: 30

Spell Slots: 1st-lvl: 2, [W] 2nd-lvl: 2 | Concentration: None

Affected by: Pass Without Trace | Conditions: None[/sblock] Knowing that with each passing second the mercenaries' wagon was getting closer, Devan quickly agreed with Terrus's plan. "Time is of the essence. Let's make our way down there." He pointed to a spot approximately thirty away feet from the road. It was an ideal place to stage an ambush with a lichen-shrouded outcropping for cover.

Once the earth genasi had invoked his power, the armored Inquisitor began leading the way. Normally, he'd be too loud in his scale mail to effectively sneak about, but with Terrus's power masking everyone's presence, it became a doable task. And for that, he was grateful.

With deliberate footsteps, he covered the rocky ground in long booted strides until he reached his desired destination.



[sblock="OOC"]Dexterity (Stealth) Check:
Modifiers: +2 Dex, +10 Pass Without Trace, Disadvantage from Scale Mail
vs. DC 16
• [roll0]
• [roll1][/sblock]


 
Last edited:

Standing up from his seat, the mercinary riding shotgun yells "Beware the rocks! and raises a crossbow to his shoulder.
The wagon rolls to a stop 30 feet from the ideal ambush spot (60 feet away). The mercinaries scramble for cover and ranged weapons.

GM: Forget stealth. Roll initiative. The mercs are in two groups:
Guards (4 of them) at
[roll=initiative]1d20[/roll] and
Mercs (4 unique stat blocks) at [roll0]
If you beat both of them, go ahead and do your turn. I am sorry for no map, but I am on my phone. For now, imagine you are uphill, sixty feet away. There are 4 nasty-looking mercs on a wagon, 2 in front, 2 on back, and 4 guys on the ground. None of them have had time to get cover (if you go first). Have fun!
 
Last edited:



Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top