[IC] Wandering Star : Heroes of the Middle Reaches (Part One)

The Digger

First Post
Charlie grits her teeth and tries to stand steady. Again she is surprised when she manages to overcome the pain. "I must be tougher than I thought" she mused

[sblock=Endurance]11: Roll Lookup[/sblock]

helium3

First Post
Like the little hafling, Petra is able to grit his teeth and maintain the connection to the increasingly heavy amulet around his neck.

Encouraged by his old friend's efforts, Pieter attempts the fourth and final stanza for the third time. His attempt is nearly flawless, save for a halting mangling of the intricately woven phonemes of the last word. For a moment it looks like he will yet again fail to complete the ritual.

Then, Jorje steps in, ready to do his part. Having seen the last quarter of the ritual performed three times now, he is quite confident that he knows what the last syllable should sound like. In concert with Pieter, and hoping that in some sense his correct pronunciation will override the hopelessly garbled sounds of the high priest of Erathis, he intones the final word of power.

[sblock=OOC]Pieter rolled a 19 on his Arcane check and only needed a single successful aid to activate the fourth stanza. Since Jorje adds a +11 to his Arcana checks, he always succeeds at aiding. Thus, I knew that Pieter would finally get it right this time.[/sblock]
His gambit works and the magic of the ritual is unleashed with a dizzying flash of purple light and the strong sensation of ants crawling across the inside of everyone's skulls. The amulet wearers feel a great weight pulling at their hearts and for a single fear-pitched moment all four participants wonder if the amulets will work as promised. That moment passes and though they feel as if on the butt end of a drinking binge, all continue to enjoy the benefits of strongly beating heart.

As the flash of light fades, leaving only the guttering lamp in the corner as light source, everyone can plainly see that where an enormous tooth once lay, a delicate feather of gold is slowly fluttering into place. Petra lets out a long drawn out sigh of relief and Pieter let's loose with a quick cackle of mirth.

Pieter looks at the dark illusionist, "Thank you very much, my young friend. I didn't think I was ever going to be able to manage that particular syllable.

I'm sure you all have many questions, but it is very late and I am quite tired. I'm sure Petra feels the same way. Some of you undoubtedly do as well. Let us all return to our places of rest for the remainder of the evening. No doubt, Sheriff Korvus will want to speak to all of you in the morning.
"

[sblock=OOC]That's the end of that encounter folks. Everyone gets 70 XP. Also, Charlie, Zarathas and Horto should subtract one healing surge. What next?[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
Horto can't get the amulet off of himself quickly enough. He looks down at it and shivers as he recollects the energies that were channeled through it.

Looking at his companions, he says "Let's finish talking once we're out of this hole."

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
"... nectu!" Jorje shouts, overriding the priest's spelling.

-----------

"Yes, we should leave now and try regaining our strength. Thanks for this most enlightening experience, High Priest." Jorje says before he leaves.

[sblock=OOC]
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1963913/

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Jorje
Perception: 12 Insight: 17 Normal Vision
AC 16 Fortitude 13 Reflex 15 Will 15
Hit Points: 24 / 24 Bloodied: 12
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Action Points: 2 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge: 6 Surges per day: 6 / 8
Encounter Powers: Grasping Shadows
Daily Powers: Phantom Chasm

[/sblock][/sblock]

Redclaw

First Post
Still not entirely sure about what he just saw, Varilar shrugs and moves toward the entrance of the shrine. I think we'd better be careful on the way out, he says warily. No telling if those guys were alone, and we didn't exactly cover our tracks on the way over here.

helium3

First Post
Pieter and Petra are somewhat quietly discussing what to do next as they put the ritual components away. Mainly, they're trying to decide who should be informed about this evening's events and who should not. Petra is arguing for greater caution and Pieter appears to be arguing the opposite. In either case, both men thank you wholeheartedly and encourage you to head back to the surface and rest.

[sblock=OOC]Add an additional 100 XP to your total. That's the reward for completing this quest. Your current total is 445 XP. Halfway to 2nd level.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Zarathas takes the amulet off slowly, not sure if it's okay to do so already. The vile thing burns him still on the inside. He looks at the Relic and is pleased to see that the ritual worked.

Climbing back up with his friends he remembers the business with the crypts.
My friends, I know you'd want to take a break, but there is something important that must be taken care of now that this more immediate case is seen through. Lets rest first, and meet in the morning, for I would like your help with an important task.

The Digger

First Post
Charlie yawned and then winced as the action reminded her of her injuries. "Sure thing, Zarathas. But I really could do with some sleep, and something to eat and drink. Where should we meet up tomorrow, and when?"

Sparky

Ranver is quiet after the ritual. Gazing at the feather, lost in thought and the echo of power that they had all witnessed, called.

Ranver offers to stay and help with any reconsecration, but the elder priests dismiss him. He finds Little Tatiana asleep on a hard bench near the door down to the cellar. He brushes the hair from her brow and murmurs at her, "You were very brave today."

Nearby, a row of hooks held thin robes for supplicants to wear if they were not (or did not feel) appropriately attired. He took one down and put it over the sleeping girl.

They young priest leaves the temple tower with his friends - comrades-at-arms now. They'd been in scrapes before. But no one had ever landed killing blows. They looked different to him now. Dangerous. How had he not seen it before?

The young priest steps over a puddle and stops. He stares down at his reflection. He is changed too. Old. Ranver is suddenly very tired, his limbs weak and watery.

He had killed today. Borne the never-again-purely-ceremonial instruments of his faith in anger and called down Ioun's power in the red haze of battle. His throat closes and he feels the heat of tears gathering in the bridge of his nose. He swallows. Ranver unneccesarily brushes the hair from his brow and dashes the first tears to appear. He takes a shuddering breath, hoping wildly for more rain so the others wont see.

"Helluva night, eh?" he says weakly. "I, uh. Why don't we meet for breakfast? The Spirit... 7th bell?" He really couldn't imagine being hungry again. Ever. His mind filled with images of the dying drakes and the Pikers. And the foul, stinking blood of the sea-demon. The wicked tooth-feather.

He was suddenly glad the elder priests had dismissed him, he wanted nothing more to collapse into his cot and pretend he could sleep.

He was about to bid his comrades farewell when they suddenly seemed warm and alive. He didn't want to leave them. The tears rose again. No, I've got to sort this out. He coughed and swiped at his eyes, muttering something, "...you... tomorrow."

He turns and heads off down a side street, headed not for home, but the Shrine of Ioun.

[sblock=OOC:]I hope the liberties with the NPCs are okay. Let me know if you want anything changed.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads