(IC) We be Jammin' (5e PBP)

Charlie sees the man and his thugs threatening the crew and acts without thinking. He quickly recites the incantation to charm the man and a couple of his friends. Charlie then steps forward.

"My good man, we are all friends here. I know you would like to leave this town post haste but you happened to have chosen the ship of my captain here. Now we are all reasonable men. Why don't we move you and your men to a new ship."

Charlie point towards the Manticore which was moored only a a couple slips down.

"That ship looks perfect for you. Fast with a large hold. I'll even help you move your things."

OOC: Casting Charm Person at 3rd level. Targeting Traevus and two thugs with crossbows within 30 ft of him. All need to make a DC15 WIS save or be charmed by me.

Persuasion roll against Traevus: 1d20+7 24

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Traevus turned to look at the Manticore, who's captain was shooing away frightened townsfolk with little success, as they were currently swarming onto his deck. He compared the confused and useless crew there to the determined looks on the group gathered here and calculated that Charlie may just be right.

Traevus "Fine. Boys! We're shifting our lot to the Manticore! She's a faster ship than this one."

The two closest thugs nodded and smiled at Charlie, happy that their 'friend' had lowered the tension-level. They swung the crane around and began to load the crates toward the unsuspecting other ship.

Captain Sartell tipped her hat to Charlie and took command as the thugs left her ship. "Let's get these folks aboard and shove-off as soon as we can. Everyone remain calm and come aboard in an orderly fashion! We'll get you squared away, safe and sound."

When she saw the big hippo-man in the crowd she called out, "Monty! Get up here. How many crew are we still missing?"

The two of them began to confer while the townsfolk and their guardians worked their way up the plank and onto the main deck of the Moondancer.

Charlie lets out a sigh of relief. That could have gone much worse. He watches the back of the thugs as they head towards the other ship. He felt a little bad for diverting the man that way but the other ships captain was kind of a jerk.

Charlies attention is brought back to Captain Sartell and those around him. He begins to help get the people onto the ship.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Gunther released the grip on the his short blade upon seeing the smugglers move towards the other ship. Turning to his assistant, Tanner, he then jerked his thumb towards Selma. "Take her to the Wavedancer and on to safety, lad. Go up the coast to hidden cove - you know the one - where we keep the stash of supplies. I think I'll stick with Nic and the Captain to lend a hand." He then followed Nic and the others as they moved to board the Moondancer.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Nic lets go a sigh of relief. He truly disliked Traevus; the man had coerced him on a few occasions to open chests he didn't want to open. He now just hoped the ship would sail away as soon as possible.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Phlox boarded the ship and stood passively near the Captain and the hippo-man named Griff, unsure what to do. His training had not prepared him for this, and underneath his mask, his face twitched slightly with some feeling he was not familiar with ... perhaps it was fear that he was not following the strictures of his order, or perhaps it was anticipation.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I suspect that it's going to be long." Captain Sartell answered Glau as the ship lurched when a crystal vine-root burst through the nearby customs house and threw stones into the bay. In their panic, ships were putting off half-loaded, and the larger ones anchored in the bay were setting sail while shore-boats were furiously rowing toward them.

Across the way, Charlie smiled in grim satisfaction to see Traevus was thrown into the bay as a stone burst through the dock next to the Manticore. Two of his men desperately tried to stop a crate from sliding through the hole after him, but it was too heavily laden with ill-gotten loot: it slid from the dock (taking one of the thugs with it) and plunged into the water just as Traevus was surfacing. He was not seen again.

The hippo-man spoke to Phlox, while lifting women and children down the fore-hatch. "Oh no, the name's not Griff - you heard one of the boys describe me. I am a Giff - no 'R', but the name is Montgomery Pelew, ship's gunner."

"And cook!"
said the sailor that he was passing the people to.

"Yes, indeed: And Cook." nodded the Giff's big head, "Everyone calls me Monty. The captain runs a disciplined ship, but an informal one."

Gunther had instructed Tanner to take Selma to another ship that they knew, one whose Captain and crew were familiar to them, but the two didn't get far before the way was blocked by stones, broken dock, a panicked mob, and other obstacles. They were forced to turn back, which would prove fortunate for them later, and they were the last aboard before the Moondancer pulled away from the dock.

There were more people running about that needed rescuing, but the the whole port had all fallen into chaos as crystal blights appeared from the north and began to wrap their tendrils around townsfolk, changing them into more of the creatures. It quickly became utterly impossible to do any more for them.

The bay was crowded with boats, ships, and swimmers. The Moondancer hadn't gone more than a hundred feet from the dock when the captain decided that there was no longer any point in discretion. She thumped her foot on the deck and called out, "Forget this. Flapjack! Take us UP!"

Suddenly the ship began to rise out of the water, gaining speed as it rose up over the bay, providing a terrifying view of the chaos below.

OOC: I will keep going soon, but feel free to react to that.

Remove ads