(IC) We be Jammin' (5e PBP)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
(OOC) Jammin' Chat Thread
(RG) Jammers Rogues' Gallery

Light of Xaryxis
(Fitz's version)

1663642217935.png

Ambalon is a small planet far removed from the greater picture. Its climate is pleasant, with summer and spring dominating the seasons and a small but diverse population of sentients have seen the usual cycles of war, peace, and trade, and have the typical problems of social inequality, civil unrest, and political intrigue. Most recently has been an era of high adventure. But their place in the multiverse remains unknown to all but the wisest sages, eldest dragons, and the occasional outsider.

Today is market day in the picturesque seaside town of Kingsport. Fishmongers pack their fish, clams, and squid in ice (created by elementalists) to keep them fresh and hawkers sell colourful fabrics, tapestries, clothes, spices, glasswares, pottery, and much much more. The weather is warm, but with a sea breeze to keep it pleasant. The particular market that you have found yourself in on this day runs up a steep hill, to a stone archway that separates the market ward from a business district. Downhill, the street splits eastward and westward as it travels around a block dominated by a tavern, a glassblower's, and a bakery.

OOC: Feel free to introduce your character with a descriptive post and give me a general sense of what you're up to today in this street market.
I think you might be in Captain Sartell's backpack (more on her later) while she's shopping, but if you want to hop out, while no one has seen a plasmoid, this isn't the kind of town that lynches weird creatures for no reason.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Brother Phlox stands impassively in the market of Kingsport, his mask hiding his ever-searching eyes. His implacable and unyielding stature causes most people of the market to overlook him, as if he wasn't there ... a true shadow despite his robes. But Phlox knows that whenever his presence is registered, whether its the sights of his encased body or the slightly sweet smell that accompanies him, unease spreads. My results are needed, even if my actions are not loved.

Phlox kept an ever-watchful eye for the mark of Incabulous. Today he was not on any specific mission, but simply had been dispatched as a senior agent from the Plague House to watch the port for any signs of outbreak- and what better place to do so than the market? In truth, this was his favorite job. Even while staying ever-vigilant to ensure Kingsport remained free of the ravages of pestilence, Phlox could marvel at the kaleidoscope of colors and smell, the riot of languages that the market provided. This was not the barren and stark monastery that he had lived his entire life in, but a window into another world, both frightening and tempting at the same time.

Phlox continued to scan the crowd, slightly tightening his grip on his staff and hoping that, perhaps, some call to action or demand for the immediate excising of a carrier of Incabulous would break this wistful reverie.

Lidgar

Legend
“Not there, you laggard! Put the ice over there, by the blasted cod!” Gunther shouted at dockworker. “Damn hard getting any decent help these days,” he muttered.

Ten years. Ten beautiful, blissful years since Gunther retired and opened Gunney’s fish market. How he loved the fish. Not just the cod, for which he was known for. Flounder, rockfish, squid, octopus, crabs - he loved them all. Each one had a story - this he knew. Just like all the clansmen and women he served with during the Goblin War. Like the fish, each had served a Purpose.

Gunther breathed in deeply the salty air. Some didn’t like the docks. Thought they smelled or were uncouth. Bah. They didn’t know. They didn’t know the peace of that smell. The promise of the open ocean. And the fish…always, the fish.

Her crew was gone. Delphnee had to just face facts she was once again alone. She leaned against a wall in the plaza contemplating petty theft. She should be above that she thought. But the last B&E job had killed Tomad, Rhyna, and Porj. She had gotten away unscathed and that bothered her. She thought about leaving the city. It was literally the only place she had known. She realized her fingers were rubbing the stone set in the earring in left ear. It felt warm and oddly comforting, as if someone else once rubbed the stone similarly in the before time.

The before time. That was what she referred to the time before she lost her memory. Maybe a year ago she found herself here with no memory of how she had gotten here or where she had come from. When she tranced she could clearly see a stand of trees that were nowhere to be found in the city, she had looked everywhere. But that was about all she could see that was from the past.

The marketplace was bustling. She was thinking she should just drown her sorrows at an inn. She had some coin and safe place to sleep. Maybe memory of her crew would disappear one morning.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As Phlox watched the crowd, a woman in comfortable leathers took her backpack off near a dwarven fishmonger's cart. She undid the toggle, and let out a small green humanoid creature that looked as if it were made of some sort of custard. Phlox had never seen nor heard of anything of the sort, but this was a bustling port with people coming from all over the place, so it wasn't impossible that he'd missed tell of it. The creature stretched as if happy to no longer be cooped up, and its limbs went quite a bit further than was natural for its shape.

The woman turned to the fishmonger, a dwarf, and said, "I'll have six pounds of your soft shelled crab, if you please."

Gunther turned from berating his useless assistant when the woman spoke. She was wearing a rapier that looked like it had seen use, and though she wore no obvious sign of rank, Gunther knew from her bearing that she was a ship's officer - a Captain, or at least a first mate.

Delphnee had noticed none of this, lost in her own thoughts, but she listened to a brassworker who was selling pots, talking to a nearby fruitseller. The brassworker said, "Bullmark the smith, I tell ya. 'Ee says it fell raight through the roof of 'is shop. Rung the anvil an' knocked it over. But 'ee couldn't find it coz it burried isself inna dirt."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Coming to the market meant coming to the city, and that wasn't something Sanderson did often. With his long neck, he gazed down on much of the crowd milling about, and with his scaly hide, many of the marketgoers were content to maintain some space. Nevertheless, the smells were overpowering. This many people in one place always created smells that seemed odd to the lizard, smells that could be burned from his nostrils if he had his way.

Of those that had been hatched in his clutch, 318 moons ago now, Sanderson was one of only six that had survived to adulthood, and he was the only one who had ever travelled far enough to encounter a human habitation (which is how he considered Kingsport), and so to encounter this particular smell. He had spent enough among humans and other species that he felt he could travel with familiar comfort through these streets.

He had commissioned the golden acorn two months previous, and was pleased with the craftsman's finished product when he saw it. He paid with some small diamonds he had saved up, and he wondered when he would get more. YOu could never have enough diamonds in your pouch, his clutch-nurse had always said. Though it was small, the delicate workmanship was much finer than what he himself would have fashioned, and he took some pride in feeling its shape beneath his belt, where he would keep it for ready access.

Soon he would return to the forest, following the coastline until he would no longer be seeing the regular traffic of ships to and from the harbour. Before he left, though, he would buy some of the deepwater fish that might be for sale. He or his siblings could always capture what was within the lagoon, swimming on the landward side of the reef, but coming home with something exotic from beyond the reef would be a welcome treat, if he could pack it back.

Lidgar

Legend
Gunther knuckled his forehead. "Six pounds of the finest soft shell crab in all of Kingsport, aye ma'am. That'll be two pieces of Kingsport gold." Turning his head, he growled at his assistant, Selby. "You heard the lady, lad. Six pounds of our freshest catch. Just pulled the cages this morning."

Gunther spared a glance at the officer's backpack and small green creature. Satisfied it wasn't a threat to his goods, he then turned to help Selby fill two sacks with the purple and blue crabs. Once bagged, Gunther plunked the crabs on the scales in full view of the woman. "Six pounds, as ye asked," he intoned. Pausing, he then added while sparing another glance at the elastic humanoid, "Might I ask which port you hailed from?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I don't think you've likely heard of it. It's a small... island. Far from here." she said, producing two gold coins that were slightly heavier in weight than a King's piece, and were stamped with the head of a human that looked regal enough, but unlike anyone who had ruled Kingsport. The letters were formed similarly enough to what he was used to that he could tell they said Prince Andru of Bral but the date stamp made no sense at all, not by human nor dwarven reckoning. The image on the other side was of a ship, that somehow also slightly resembled a flying fish.

Sanderson's head popped up instinctively as a flock of sea-birds flew overhead making a racket. Sanderson was used to trusting the smaller animals to show signs of trouble and he stood stiffly, tasting the air. It was not unusual for sea-birds to fly toward the sea, of course, but something seemed to have troubled them. There was a mineral taste in the air that Sanderson could not place. But there did not seem to be any threats nearby.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The small green creature crawled out of the backpack and stretched to get a membrane full of the local air. "Breathe Free or Die!" was one of the crew's mottos, and all too often the meaning was literal.

Normally, the plasmoid would spring out at the first sign of hostility to protect the Captain. But in this case, she just needed the extra storage room. Glau had been serving her for years, ever since they first split off. Granted, that wasn't a terribly long time ago, as attested by the ooze's size. But their life has been full, visiting all kinds of ports, and getting into more kinds of danger. At least this port seemed civil enough. The people were just staring and not screaming, like the port on the other side of the planet. What what were the locals calling them there? "Green Slime?" How rude, plasmoids have far more consistency than that a mere slime!

Pushing the sour encounter aside in their mind, Glau extended their pusdopod and took the backpack from the Capitan. When there isn't any skulls to crack, the muscle has to do the heavy lifting.

gnarlygninja

Explorer
The elk strode through the streets of Kingsport with the same smooth grace it did through the forest. It knew it was magnificent regardless of the setting, and thus paid very little attention to such things. A large rabbit sat on its back, anxiously chewing a piece of straw while staring at a list.

"This here's the last name on my list. Most of the others was dead, hope it ain't too late for these ones too." He sighed and tucked the letter into his armor. The armor was almost green from all the kinds of moss and lichen growing on it, bits of old dark metal visible here and there, as was the shield he carried. His sword was cleaner and his guitar was cleaner still. "Kingsport's changed since I was here last. Used to be a tavern over there, think I got thrown out of it once in my wayward youth. I don't think I know my around anymore." The elk bore this news as easily it did its rider and carried on.

William stood and peered around the market, keeping an eye out for a vendor who looked literate. He pointed toward the first one he found and the elk headed toward them. "'scuse me, but I've been gone a long time and I'm looking for a friend. Could you tell me where I could find someone on this here list? I got some coin if that'd help loosen your tongue...". William leaned over to hand them the letter.

Charlie stood at the rail of the Manticore as the ship eased into the dock. He scanned the harbor as the ropes were tossed to waiting dockhands and tied off. He looked at the other ships tied up at the docks and wondered if any of them were looking to hire on a new quartermaster. His current ship was well run but Captain Thalis was to by the books for Charlie's taste. He never would have signed up with the man if he hadn't needed to get out of the last port quickly. Charlie nodded to the Captain as the man appeared on deck to oversee the unloading of the ships hold.

"Cap'n thank you for the lift. You run a tight ship here." He smiles at the man. "Safe travels."

Charlie whistles and a small strange looking brown and orange monkey climbs down out of the top ropes and perches on the mans shoulder. Charlie scratches the creatures head and gives him a treat from his pocket. He then steps onto the gangplank that was just slid into place and exits the ship. The man looks towards the market and shrugs then speaks to the monkey.

"I guess we should hit some of the taverns see if we can find a more suitable crew to join. What do you say Jak-Jak?"

The monkey chatters and nods it's head. Charlie smiles and scratches him again. The man turns and proceeds to walk into town towards the market. As he enters the market through the stone archway he scans the area looking for one of the more rowdy taverns that indicates sailors on leave. Spotting one he begins to amble in that direction stopping at several stalls as he goes.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Devin Mayhew?" the name on Sweet William's list was familiar a weaver-woman who was selling tapestries, "Why, he's right over there, roasting hazelnuts."

From the back of his elk, William looked over the crowd and spotted a bearded old human man. His face was long and worn, but the shape of his nose was familiar. William remembered breaking it with a powerful kick during a brawl. But the old man had been just a youth then, one from a rival group of urchins.

Charlie passed by a rabbit on an elk. Rabbit-folk were not an unusual sight in and around Kingsport, but the riding elk was unusual - certainly to one used to life at sea. On the other hand, Jak-Jak was native to an archipelago far to the south and would look just as strange to the rabbit as the elk did to him. Such was the wonders of a bustling port town.

The tavern at the street market's T-junction had a sign with a painting of a fisherman throwing out a net while under the water was painted a large school of fish. The Fisherman's Bounty was just the sort of place where Charlie could find a crew, or get very drunk trying.

OOC: I think all we need is an appearance of Nic @Steve Gorak to move to the next scene. (The rest of you can continue on if you like, just don't leave the street!)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Nic was deep in thought, as usual. He had spent the morning helping merchants with a few repairs here and there: a broken cartwheel, a leaky row boat, bent shelves, and some minor metal work. Most of it was very easy and simple for him, and the blend of odd alchemical contraptions and regular elbow grease usually fixed the most urgent problem quickly. He enjoyed mingling with the merchants as he did the repairs, even if he wasn't the best equipped for two way conversation. Most merchants liked to hear themselves talk anyways, and most knew the gnome by now, having been a familiar sight in the harbor for over a year. He didn't expect much payment aside from the discussion, augmented by the odd bit of exotic (or not) edible, good conversation and the occasional bit of lore that gave him leads or ideas for new contraptions to tinker. Market day was for fun; he made his money building and repairing ships during the other days, and his specialty was making armored ships. Of course, this was an expensive entreprise, so most jobs were much smaller scale plating ships on vulnerable parts. He was also very good at opening and repairing chests, old and new alike, which were quite common on returning adventuring ships.

Nic was passing by Gunther's stand and, looking at the dwarf, the woman and the plasmoid in an awkward and rapid succession, spoke excitedly with an abnormally fast pace, looking at the plasmoid: ''Hello master Gunther; all is well? Oh my who or what is this? Can you talk? Can I touch your skin?''

The gnome didn't reach a full 4 feet, and his red hair and mustache had multiple braids with odd looking contraptions in them. He also wore armor, which was a bit unusual on the docks, but it seemed to move just as his skin would, so one got used to the sight quickly.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
He'd been looking at the sky, caught by the cries of the seabirds that were heading to sea, before something at his tail distracted him.

Sanderson stood back when the gnome started reaching out and touching the other customer's pet, as he assumed. She was buying crab meat, something that he himself didn't enjoy without the added pleasure of cracking through the shell, tasting the innards and the texture of the gills, which most preferred not to eat. Of course, most preferred crab cooked as well.

He looked inside his coin purse, and was withdrawing a few coins, enough for the string of the mullets hanging behind the fishmonger.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Glau was unfamiliar with the local customs, but from their experience, it wasn't best to sweat the small details. The ooze extended a pseudopod up to the gnome, and poked him in the cheek. "Hello, I am Glau." The plasmiod said with a voice that sounded vaguely like a bagpipes.

Lidgar

Legend
Gunther hefted the strange goin coins. He didn't recognize them at all, which was strange - very strange. He was accustomed to receiving coins from all over the known world, and Prince Andru and Bral was completely unheard of. The fishmonger was then drawn out of his reverie by a familiar voice.

"Hullo, Nic," replied Gunther to the eccentric gnome. He had always liked the talkative fellow, as they shared a passion for crafting things. Sure, Gunther's was more about fish hooks, lures, and rigging, but fine craftsmanship can be appreciated wherever it is seen.

"Might I introduce you to Miss...err, sorry, I don't think I caught a name ma'am." His eyes then widened a bit at hearing the small green creature (apparently named Glau) speak. "Well I'll be a smoked mackerel on a biscuit..." he muttered under his breath. He was so taken aback that he almost didn't notice the large lizard folk approaching his stall with his purse out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As Glau reached a pseudopod for Nic's cheek and Sanderson tried to catch Gunther's attention, the ground suddenly and violently shook. There was no warning, and the shaking was strong enough that one of Gunther's fish-carts toppled over. Clay tiles slid off of nearby roofs, and people lurched about, loosing their footing and tumbling onto the cobblestones.

Devin Mayhew's portable roaster fell over and caught fire, spilling hazelnuts and hot coals across the street. As Charlie stepped sideways to avoid a stumbling man, he watched as first the sign fell off the front of the Fisherman's Bounty, striking a woman who had stumbled onto the stoop, and then part of the tavern's roof caved-in.

After a moment, the shaking subsided into a dull tremble. No one had quite experienced anything like it before. Earthquakes were entirely unknown in Kingsport, and only the well-travelled had even heard of the phenomenon.

Only as the trembling subsided did anyone realize just how noisy it had all been, and now the market was quiet as everyone looked about themselves, with only a few cries of the injured and sobbing from the frightened.

OOC: What will you do in the immediate aftermath? If you want to find if you've fallen, feel free to roll a dc13 DEX save. No PC is injured here, but a number of commoners are. I'll return with a map.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Nic blushes profusely, which only exacerbates his finger complexion “Oh my, oh my, oh my, Glau, nice to meet you! You are so so awesome! You have to tell me where you are from and how it is that you do what you do!” He says in one uninterrupted stream of consciousness.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Nic blushes profusely, which only exacerbates his finger complexion “Oh my, oh my, oh my, Glau, nice to meet you! You are so so awesome! You have to tell me where you are from and how it is that you do what you do!” He says in one uninterrupted stream of consciousness.
OOC: This post is funny. It's like Nic didn't even notice. @Steve Gorak did you read my post above yours? LOL.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: dex save 3 fail!

Nic’s excitement prevented him from reacting and he fell on his back side when the earth shook. On the ground he taps his shoulder and says “Steve, wake up!”. A weird looking four legged mechanical contraption seems to extend from his shoulder. It’s eyes are goggles and it seems to have four transparent wings like a dragonfly. The thing seems to move its “eyes” all around, scanning the surroundings. Nick also looks around, and points to anything that seems suspicious, seeming to be in in a universe with only him and Steve.

OOC: move: stand back up
Item interaction: grab thieves tools
Action: help Steve his homologous servant with perception
Bonus action: direct Steve to perceive: perception check 23

Last edited:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4