(IC) We be Jammin' (5e PBP)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Brother Phlox ran uphill past the group that Nic was organizing to go take a look at the trouble to the north, but was slowed by a group of panicked locals who poured through the market archway, heading downhill.

They were pursued by strange, crystalline humanoids who were mixed in with the crowd. Phlox and the others watched as one caught up to a woman and wrapped her with shining, sinewy vines that seemed to choke her into unconsciousness. As she fell, similar vines burst through her skin, wrapping her body, and she rose as another of the creatures, which turned on the nearest civilian.

The massive vine to the north appeared to be growing still, and it towered over the city, writhing and twisting. It swung low overhead and many people screamed and ducked reflexively. To the south, closer to where Charlie, Sweet William, and Delphne were, two more of the vine-creatures dropped off of it and crashed into the ground, then began to rise.

1665253713731.png
 

log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Kingsport at Market Arch.
JamMarketArchN1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Stalls, Carts Visibility: Bright (Late Morning); Cover: Stalls
JamMarketArchS1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Stalls, Carts Visibility: Bright (Late Morning); Cover: Stalls
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Charlie AC15 HP 36/36 HD 5/5 PP9 SSdc15 2/2 MA 0/1
Delpnee AC16 HP 38/38 HD 5/5 PP13* PI15 SSdc13 3/3
Glau AC15 HP 55/55 THP 0 HD 5/5 PP13 Rg 3/3
Gunthar AC18 HP 64/64 THP 0 HD 5/5 PP14 SSdc12 4/4 2/2 SC 3/3
Nic AC19 HP 58/58 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP15* SSdc15 4/4 2/2
Phlox AC17 HP 38/38 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP16 SSdc14 Ki 5/5 Insp 1/1
Sanderson AC17 HP 38/38 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP17 SSdc15 4/4 3/3 2/2 WS 2/2 Insp 1/1
Sweet William AC19 HP 54/54 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP14 SSdc13 4/4 2/2 Insp 1/1
(NPCs)
Cpt. Sartell AC13(18) HP 22/22 HD 4/4 PP15(20)* SSdc13 2/3 fly60'
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Crystal Blight AC12 HP 26ea PP10*
-CB1 26/26; CB2 26/26; CB3 26/26; CB4 21/26; CB5 22/26
GM: Begin Round One

OOC: Note: I did two maps because otherwise details are hard to make out. Delphne can be seen on both maps, if you want to imagine them together. There are A LOT more civilians running about, but I didn't want to make it too crowded. Just imagine the chaos.
 



Lidgar

Legend
Gunther was done being surprised anymore. These creatures - whatever they were - were attacking his city, his livelihood, and perhaps most importantly, his peaceful retirement. They needed to be put down, and quickly.

Moving against the flow of citizens, he positioned himself near a capable looking masked humanoid. Hoping the cloaked figure was on his side, he then squinted at a nearby crystalline creature and called upon his senses to mark it with a word. He then pulled out a bit of fishing line with a nasty barbed hook and called upon the primal powers of the sea to then whip it towards the thing, snagging and tugging it towards him.

OOC: Gunther moves to W8. He then casts Hunter's Mark at CB2 as a bonus action, and casts thorn whip at CB2 as his action, pulling it to X7. No hunters mark damage on it though (spell attack).

Thorn Whip: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22
2D6 = [6, 4] = 10

 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Sanderson steps forward and holds his hands together, thumbs touching. in the space between his scaly indext fingers a flame appears and it continues to grow until a sheet of fire extends forth, hitting two of the newly arrived creatures.

"Sssstand behind me," he tells the villagers, and with a gesture pulls the nearest commoner mystically away from danger.

OOC: Move to X7.
Action: Cast Burning hands, with a leve-2 slot: 4d6=13 -- actually 14 fire damage (no resistance; treat 1s as 2s), or DC 15 Dex save for half (=7 fire damage). Slots left: 4/2/2.
Bonus: Telekenesis DC 15 Str check to pull commoner at z6 to z7.
 


Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Phlox watches as the crystal seems to spread, corrupting and changing the people of Kingsport. There is only one word for this ... contagion.

He was always a little more reckless with his remit than the other monks, but now he could defensibly move into action. For with contagion, there was always the same solution; preserve the healthy by removing the disease. Phlox saw one of the infected approaching a commoner and sprang to action, using his training with his plaguestaff to force the blighted creature away, while using his speed to remain out of the reach of further contagion.

OOC:
Move to attack blight 3 (T4).
Quarterstaff attacks: 1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
Kick: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27
Damage: 1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5
1D6+4 = [6]+4 = 10
1D6 = [6] = 6
Two hits, 21 damage, force blight to U23 and attacks against it are at advantage to next round.

Then moves to T9 to complete movement.
 

Charlie turns and looks at the strange vine creature that just crashed down near him. He turns to the sailors next to him.

"Find cover, neither of you are in any shape to fight."

He makes an arcane gesture and speaks words of power and two blue luminous bolts of force streak from his hands to strike the creature. At the same instant a spectral tentacle raises out of the ground next to the creature just struck and wraps around the things leg. As the tentacle makes contact a jolt of electricity courses through the creature. Charlie makes sure the target is down before moving between the stalls towards the other creature.

OOC: Action: Eldritch Blast attacks on C.Blight 5: 2#1d20+7 21 15 2#1d10+4 13 5.
Bonus: Use Tentacle of the Deep to summon a tentacle next to C.Blight 5 and Attack Tentacle of the Deep attack on C.Blight 5: 1d20+7 17 1d8 5. Damage is lightning damage.
Move: If C.Blight 5 dies I will move to R33. If not I will stay still.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Glau quickly reaches out to arm themself with anything they can get ahold of. There was a stool nearby, from where a merchant was sitting before the quake. And just over there, a bucket. It would have to do. "Capitan, we need a plan here!" they called back.

And then something downright strange happened. The plasmoid's membrane rippled with violence, changing their smooth green texture into a bubbling red one. Even more shockingly, a large spike protrusion erupted from their small body. This wellspring of destruction was pointed in the direction of one of the crystal humanoids. The spiked appendage missed, but the defending creature was thrown off-balance by the dodge. Allowing Glau to shove the stool into it's abdomen, and follow up with a bucket shot across the face.

OOC: So this is a complex round here!

Object interaction: pick up the stool.
Move next to Blight 1
Bonus action to Rage.

As part of the attack action:
  1. Equips the bucket as a weapon.
  2. Triggers Reckless attack.
  3. Attacks once with their tail.
  4. Attacks once with the stool.
  5. Attacks once with the bucket (as an "off hand").
Reaction of choice:
Tail Swipe. When hit, add +1d8 to AC.

Attack rolls!:
Reckless Tail Attack in Rage.: 2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [2, 4]+7 = 11 1D12+4+3 = [6]+4+3 = 13 Miss!
Reckless Stool Attack in Rage.: 2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [18, 1]+7 = 25 1D4+4+3 = [2]+4+3 = 9 Hit!
Reckless Bucket Two Weapon Attack in Rage.: 2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [9, 7]+7 = 16 1D4+0+3 = [2]+0+3 = 5 Hit!

Reaction AC bonus if needed: 1D8 = [8] = 8
 
Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Nick grabs his shield, and moves forward, blasting the creatures already hit by magics and attack, hoping to down them. He yells to the villagers ''Behind us, quickly!''

OOC: item interaction: grab shield
move: to V6
Attack: depending on which foe is still standing, will hit those already damaged with Thunder gauntlets (range 90/300) to down them
Attack1: 25, damage 9+2=11 Lightning
Attack2: 15, damage 5 lightning
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While the crowd of panicked citizens fled downhill southward, a few brave souls rushed uphill against the tide. Brother Phlox saw contagion, and where there was contagion, it was his duty to stamp it out. He struck one of the crystalline creatures with his staff and foot, and it stumbled away as he retreated downhill.

Gunthar and Sanderson moved northward together, somewhat getting in each other's way. The serpent-folk conjured a burst of flames that covered two of the creatures while a civilian was sent free of the blast. The old dwarf flung a line and hook into the receding flames and pulled a smoldering creature toward himself.

Captain Sartell told Glau, as the plasmoid gathered a bucket and stool, "We'll take a moment to see if we can't help a few of these folks and see what we're dealing with, but I plan to return to the ship as soon as possible. We need to call back the crew on leave."

The little green man turned red and spiky, and he slid uphill faster than his little legs ought to move. The captain followed, and they took on the two creatures that had been burned by Sanderson's flames, both downing the creatures after several blows.

Nic followed, calling to the townsfolk while getting his shield out. He charged up a gauntlet and fired a bolt of lightning at the creature that Phlox had caused to stumble, and it cracked in the middle and fell to the ground.

The enormous crystalline tentacle grew ever so larger overhead, and it swung about, destroying a tower and scattering stones for hundreds of yards. One such stone fell toward the group that included Gunthar, Sanderson, and Captain Sartell. It smashed heavily to the ground as they scattered to avoid it.

The crowd of commoners fled southward, but even as they did, more townsfolk fled from the north, pouring through and under the market archway, followed by a few more of the crystalline creatures.

OOC: Gunthar did 10 to CB2; Sanderson did 14 to CB1 & 7 to CB2; Phlox did 14 to CB3; Glau did 14 to CB1; Cpt Sartell did 21 to CB2; Nic did 16 to CB3. All 3 die. Tentacle flings debris. Gunthar & Sanderson must make a dc12 DEX save or take 9 damage.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Further south, Delphne had reacted quickly, crossing the market street and ducking between stalls. In the middle, she sent a bolt of fire that burned and distracted a crystal creature while it was rising from having fallen from the sky. She readied her weapons from a hidden spot, while Sweet William rode his Elk in a charge at the same creature. The rabbitfolk leaned down from the elk and swept his sword it two deft strokes that cut the creature down before it could do harm.

Charlie caused a seaweed plant to grow up out of the street's paving stones. It wrapped at a crystalline creature's legs and shocked the thing while Charlie sent two bolts of force at it. The creature stumbled, injured, but it was still able to wrap its crystal vine-like tendrils around a fleeing merchant, who fell to the ground and then began to rise as another of the creatures.

Jak jak flew upward, chittering in excitement about the terror all around them. Many of the market-goers fled eastward and westward, or cowered under or behind the stalls and carts.

OOC: Delphne did 11 to CB4; William did 20 to CB4; Charlie did 23 to CB5; CB5 survived to do 11 to a commoner (turning him into one of them).
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Kingsport at Market Arch.
JamMarketArchN2.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Stalls Visibility: Bright (Midday); Cover: Stalls, Buildings
JamMarketArchS2.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Stalls Visibility: Bright (Midday); Cover: Stalls, Buildings
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Charlie AC15 HP 36/36 HD 5/5 PP9 SSdc15 2/2 MA 0/1
Delphne AC16 HP 38/38 HD 5/5 PP13* PI15 SSdc13 3/3
Glau AC15 HP 55/55 THP 0 HD 5/5 PP13 Rg 3/3
Gunthar AC18 HP 64/64 THP 0 HD 5/5 PP14 SSdc12 4/4 2/2 SC 3/3
Nic AC19 HP 58/58 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP15* SSdc15 4/4 2/2
Phlox AC17 HP 38/38 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP16 SSdc14 Ki 5/5 Insp 1/1
Sanderson AC17 HP 38/38 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP17 SSdc15 4/4 3/3 2/2 WS 2/2 Insp 1/1
Sweet William AC19 HP 54/54 THP 0/0 HD 5/5 PP14 SSdc13 4/4 2/2 Insp 1/1
(NPCs)
Cpt. Sartell AC15 HP 65/65 HD 10/10 PP10
Commoners AC10 HP 4/4
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Crystal Blight AC12 HP 26ea PP10*
-CB1 0/26 (dead); CB2 0/26 (dead); CB3 0/26 (dead); CB4 0/26 (dead);
-CB5 3/26 (dead); CB6 26/26; CB7 26/26; CB8 26/26;
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 
Last edited:

gnarlygninja

Explorer
Sweet William glanced at the crystal vine as it did its best to destroy the town. It'd been a few years since he called Kingsport home, and it hadn't been much of a home even then, but seeing it torn apart caused his temper to flare. He narrowed his eyes at the two crystal creatures and the elk ran toward them, sensing his intent. William cut one down and struck the other with about as much force as he could.

OOC: I think the elk can make it to Y35 with its 50 feet of movement, it will use its action to Dash if it needs to and Dodge if it doesn't. Sweet William attacks each of the blights.
Longsword: 1D20+7 = [15]+7 = 22
1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25

damage: 1D8+6 = [6]+6 = 12
1D8+6 = [8]+6 = 14
 

OOC: There's a dead skull on CB4 in the south image but the spoiler text says CB4 has 3/26 hp. Which is correct? It looks like William road away from the dead CB4 with 3 hp. CB5 has 0/26 in the text but no skull in the image.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: There's a dead skull on CB4 in the south image but the spoiler text says CB4 has 3/26 hp. Which is correct? It looks like William road away from the dead CB4 with 3 hp. CB5 has 0/26 in the text but no skull in the image.
OOC: My mistake. It's CB5 that has 3 HP. CB4 is, like the skull indicates, dead.
 

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Phlox quickly reassesses the situation, seeing the possibility of further contagion. He sprang into action hoping he could continue to limit the spread. He rushes effortlessly to confront the source, attacking it with his plaguestaff and kicks. Concentrating on making sure the infection doesn't continue to spread, Phlox channels the teachings of Zuoken so that after the diseased entity is struck with the plaguestaff, Phlox lands several spinning kicks before gliding back to near where he started.

 

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Nic eyes the crystal creature next to him, he voices arcane words while manipulating the weave with his free hand and conjures arcane geometric symbols below it, that spring forth a sizable fire

OOC: cast create bond fire. Dex save 15 or 10 fire damage
No movement & no item interaction

Concentrating on create bond fire
 

Lidgar

Legend
Jumping clear of the falling debris, Gunther looks around to see another creature engaged with Nic.

"Hullo again, Nic," shouts the old fishmonger above the commotion as he engaged in the melee. "Quite the morning, eh?"

He then swiped at the crystalline creature - who was now wreathed in flames conjured by the gnome - with his longknife and fish-knocker.

 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top