WotC ICv2 Has A Theory That WotC Will Be Sold

Continuing to use the term Gypsy for themselves is for them to decide, not for those of us who aren't. We should be respectful of the people who say it's a racist term and not use it except in the very specific cases of people who individually use it.
It's like terms for older organizations like NAACP and UNCF. They continue to use older terms that are considered offensive now because they worked at the time they were created and named themselves. They are not for polite conversation now.
So I'd suggest you stop trying to argue that the term Gypsy isn't broadly considered racist and inappropriate. It is.

I'd say "gypsy" is less like the NAACP and UNCF, and more like the term "queer". Yes, it was a pejorative at a certain point in time. But it's also commonly used today as a neutral identifier and even a term of pride. In the USA, at least.

If someone asks you to not call them "gypsy" or "queer", by all means you should stop. But many people wouldn't consider it inherently racist. Of course, context matters.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not broadly considered racist here in the US. We don't consider Irish Travelers or Roma to be a race.

Not overly offensive here either unless you read alot.

They got whitewashed though so we didn't really know about the Romani. At school we learnt they were targeted in the Holocaust but just kind of assumed they were another group of Europeans.

Didn't know they had a different skin colour.

The key to stop that hate is recovering ethical values as the respect of the human dignity. Without this the oppresed may become the oppresor later.

I doubt seriously Hasbro wanted to reject two potential cash-cows as Magic: the Gathering and D&D. It is not only the money with the game, but also with other products as productions for streaming services. If Hasbro sells WotC it will be without the IPs. The brands are working, and the game designers, the troubles are linked with the management.

I wonder about a potential merger or acquisition with Asmodee. Sometimes a big company has got deals about licencing or partnership with a little videogame studio, and if the things works later the big company buys the studio, because there was good feeling among both.

If there are troubles, why not only firing the toxic bosses who caused these conflicts?

Mirtek

Hero
It's very much a pejorative slander accross Europe though. And especially in eastern european countries there's still legal discrimination today.

Not that western european countries are that much better though. While there's theoretically no discrimination before the law, the western countries are very content with the police just pushing them ever more east (from france to germany from germany to poland) until they become eastern europe's problem once again.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
No idea if it will be sold and it’s all speculation.

But for those who are saying Hasbro won’t sell WotC because WotC is profitable.,.that’s not how it works. Companies are often sold when they are quite profitable.

Oofta

Legend

But for those who are saying Hasbro won’t sell WotC because WotC is profitable.,.that’s not how it works. Companies are often sold when they are quite profitable.
Good point, it all depends on their balance sheet and future projections, cash reserves, all sorts of things that only accountants care about.

Still just wild speculation, but not completely unbelievable.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not broadly considered racist here in the US. We don't consider Irish Travelers or Roma to be a race.
To clarify, this is a racist term. Please don't use it on this forum, even if it's not considered so exactly where you are right now.

Definitely on both counts, but if you look at D&D's history specifically, both times it was sold (if you count Lorraine Williams' buy-out as such), it was on the ropes both times. In the latest Plot Points episode, the number quoted for Wizards' acquisition of TSR is something like #30 million to buy TSR and pay off the debts - and the debts were close to $30 million.

Not saying that this precludes it being sold when it's doing well. But the last figures I saw on Magic the Gathering's net revenue is $2.45 billion. Right now, I can't imagine the amount that it would take to buy that out, nor that Hasbro would lightly set that aside.

Remove ads