• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC ICv2 Has A Theory That WotC Will Be Sold

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Was GI Joe just a big bestiary? I think there might have been something else going on, but I just can't put my finger on it.
gi joe psa GIF

Zsong

Explorer
It is very unlikely to occur, but never say never when large sums of money are involved. If someone came up with enough money, Hasbro would sell WotC in a heartbeat. However, I can't imagine anyone feeling that right now it's worth it. This kind of sale only works if the IP is in a state of flux, where the host company doesn't want the risk anymore and the purchaser is willing to take on the risk, but WotC is anything but in a state of flux. Theoretically if Hasbro was suffering from severe cash-flow issues (unlikely) they might sell off some companies, but they're much more likely to sell ones that aren't doing well, rather than ones that are almost certainly cash cows.
Hmmm. State of flux.
Orcs racist. Gypsies racist. Maybe they want to avoid any potential new thing that can be perceived as racist. It seems like a lot of things in the rpg communities have been perceived as racist enough in the last few years to become an issue. Maybe they fear the potential of being canceled for whatever is best. Rpg designers are more well known than action figure designers and have a greater potential to be noticed by the public and therefore a greater potential to do something socially unacceptable in the ever growing changing system rules of what is unacceptable.

TheSword

Legend
Hmmm. State of flux.
Orcs racist. Gypsies racist. Maybe they want to avoid any potential new thing that can be perceived as racist. It seems like a lot of things in the rpg communities have been perceived as racist enough in the last few years to become an issue. Maybe they fear the potential of being canceled for whatever is best. Rpg designers are more well known than action figure designers and have a greater potential to be noticed by the public and therefore a greater potential to do something socially unacceptable in the ever growing changing system rules of what is unacceptable.
No, its just that modern companies and designer don’t want to condone or be associated with racists and homophobes. It’s not fear. It’s distaste, and good business sense.

Zsong

Explorer
No, its just that modern companies and designer don’t want to condone or be associated with racists and homophobes. It’s not fear. It’s distaste, and good business sense.
Oh I agree completely. But it is easy for something to be taken out of context or misunderstood and then everyone is yelling for them to be cancelled. It doesn’t even have to be a racist or sexual issue it could be political or many other things.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh I agree completely. But it is easy for something to be taken out of context or misunderstood and then everyone is yelling for them to be cancelled. It doesn’t even have to be a racist or sexual issue it could be political or many other things.

That and sometimes you need to offend people.

See the David episode of The Simpsons.

I might argue that D&D has enormous amounts of self-contradictory lore. What's true may depend on what decade or edition you're using as your foundation.
Good point. But it did not stop the superhero genre from producing some very fun and good movies imo.
I do. They all have a certain amount of inherent character before the adaptation that are definable by the source material. Conan has a certain personality, so does Harry Potter. What's the inherent character of D&D? Is there a compelling personality that would make a good movie? Is there a central storyline?
D&D has many book series with strong characters. Dragonlance. Icewindale trilogy. Cleric Quintet. And if none of those work, make one. I feel pretty certain Sanderson could knock it out in a few weeks. ;) But your point definitely stands:strong characters make or break the story.
All of the above. The challenge isn’t to beat a specific IP, it’s to stand out among a saturated genre.
I agree. But I do feel every genre is saturated. It is the golden age of tv where I can turn on LotR, then jump to Sharknado 5 then turn on one of several dozen fantasy-esque series. But, it doesn't mean something made can't be great. I still think, if you make a good movie, no matter the saturation, it will be popular.
I’m not making any comment about convoluted or contradictory lore. I’m talking about the challenges of marketing. LoTR stood out by being based on the works of the most influential and respected creator in the genre. Game of Thrones stood out by having lots of sex and nudity. Most other fantasy films and TV series don’t stand out to the same degree, and as a result they don’t make as much money or have as much pop cultural prestige. For a D&D movie to reach that level of success, it needs to figure out what about it sets it apart from the rest of the genre and commit to it.
I agree again. But it does not need to make the money LotR made. It can be successful, and not be a blockbuster. Especially with worldwide audiences. Not to mention, brand promotion is a thing. Look at comic book sales during the release of some of Marvel's movies.

Remove ads