• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC ICv2 Has A Theory That WotC Will Be Sold

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
The same thing that the dozens of videogames and anime inspired by D&D has; a good story to tell. I mean, some young film-maker redid Seven Samurai but mixed in Sci-fi and Western elements and made a movie that the studios thought was unsellable. And by all accounts, it's pretty cliche and derivative, but no one faults George Lucas for making A New Hope.

"Star Wars" is a sci-fi reskinning of "The Hidden Fortress", not "The Seven Samurai."

"The Magnificent Seven" is the Western reskinning of "The Seven Samurai."

And then, to bring it full circle, last week's "The Mandalorian" was a reskinned "Yojimbo" with imagery from "The Throne of Blood."

Remathilis

Legend
"Star Wars" is a sci-fi reskinning of "The Hidden Fortress", not "The Seven Samurai."

"The Magnificent Seven" is the Western reskinning of "The Seven Samurai."

And then, to bring it full circle, last week's "The Mandalorian" was a reskinned "Yojimbo" with imagery from "The Throne of Blood."
Mea culpa. I got my Kurasowa mixed up. I am dishonored and will commit Sudoku.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Not to mention The Mandalorian on the whole is a reskinned Lone Wolf and Cub.

To get back to the OP, I looked at the column and I don't find their reasoning compelling. Most of the evidence they present is stuff that's been true for years, without a sale being in the air. The only thing that's new are the two lawsuits, which could have many reasons behind them apart from an impending sale. I mean, anything could happen, but this is far from a smoking gun IMO.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 112

Mirtek

Hero
Nobody makes a film expecting it to be meh OK.

You make a film because you think it’s going to capture people’s imagination and gets them exciting. Because there is a story that needs to be told in a particular medium. What is it about D&D that needs to be told as a film?
Thousands of direct to DVD moneygraps and B- and C-movies prove otherwise. A lot of people make movies aiming for "meh OK" and a lot aiming even not even that high ("Pecunia non olet" or "I was young and needed to money" or whatever)

The only way a D&D movie is likely to work (short of stumbling across an up an coming genius director) is if it gets the full Marvel style treatment with a lot of money behind it.

(I don't think we'll see another D&D B movie. There would be no point.)

Is D&D appealling enough as a property to get that sort of treatment?

One would suspect likely not as a new D&D movie seems to be always just over the horizon.

But who knows maybe if someone comes up with the right script it could actually happen.

Oofta

Legend
Concerning a possible movie, a quick google search found this link. Obviously covid has disrupted a lot of plans and pushed back a ton of projects. There's no telling what's going to happen to the movie industry in general, much less any specific movie. Current general release schedule is spring of 2022.

However, there's no indication that they are aiming for a B-list low budget movie. Will it happen? Will it be any good? Who knows. We do know that Hasbro would love to have a new franchise now that the Transformer movies have jumped the automechanical shark.

Zardnaar

Legend
Concerning a possible movie, a quick google search found this link. Obviously covid has disrupted a lot of plans and pushed back a ton of projects. There's no telling what's going to happen to the movie industry in general, much less any specific movie. Current general release schedule is spring of 2022.

However, there's no indication that they are aiming for a B-list low budget movie. Will it happen? Will it be any good? Who knows. We do know that Hasbro would love to have a new franchise now that the Transformer movies have jumped the automechanical shark.

Transformers kinda back. New netflix series is quite good imho.

Remove ads