WotC ICv2 Has A Theory That WotC Will Be Sold

Phion

Explorer
Might be for the best. With mtg at least Hasbro seems to really want to push sales to unfeasible targets which could be damaging MTG long term.

Phion

Explorer
As for D&D sometimes less is more and I would argue that there is enough content (outside of campaign books) to satisfy most peoples needs. We are entering a point of saturation in subclasses, although more feats could be welcome if done right (thinking of the recent chef feat)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Interesting take. If Hazbro were to sell WotC, the prospect of a new edition would seem much more likely - the new owners would surely want to put their mark on the game. That could be a good thing - there’s a definite vibe lately that 5e is starting to feel played out. But as a World of Darkness fan I am very gunshy about such sales. They only ever seemed to harm White Wolf Onyx Path White Wolf again, but it’s different people this time.

Oofta

Legend
Interesting theory, I would think that it kind of depends on other revenue. If (and that's a big if) D&D becomes lucrative enough from a marketing and entertainment perspective then it's less likely. On the other hand, I can only imagine that the pandemic hasn't been great for MtG sales.

As far as "needing" 6E I guess I'll just disagree and hope that DndBeyond continues to support 5E for the foreseeable future because it's made me quite lazy.

monsmord

Adventurer
I've been lamenting the apparent but bizarre inability for anyone to produce commercially viable D&D cinema/TV content. With the fantasy genre enjoying more mainstream media success, now would seem the best time. Hasbro has the resources and track record of film-ifying their IP; a buyer might not.

Then again, I wonder how much of D&D's development has been guided by non-gaming, non-WotC Hasbro execs, and whether a sale might shake some things loose.

Then again again, I want everything all the time...

Remove ads