ICv2 Reports 23% Growth In RPGs in 2019

ICv2 has published its latest estimates for the size of the hobby games market in the US and Canada as of 2019.

The hobby games channel is up 5-10%, being the 11th consecutive year of growth, and the number of stores is increasing.

TCG category dominated with 44% of all hobby games. Miniatures and boardgames are about half that, and RPGs are the smallest category.
  • $745M collectible games
  • $355M non-collectible miniature games
  • $356M board games
  • $130M card and dice games
  • $80M roleplaying games
  • $1675M total
Roleplaying games are up 23% since the previous year, up from $65M in 2018. Here's RPGs over the last six years:
  • 2014 $25M
  • 2015 $35M
  • 2016 $45M
  • 2017 $55M
  • 2018 $65M
  • 2019 $80M
ICv2 reports a few factors -- Pathfinder 2E and Shadowrun 6E were both strong, while the low rate of new D&D products drives secondary sales like dice and accessories.

Kickstarter has increased for the 5th consecutive year, though the growth has slowed (20% in 2018, down to 7% in 2019).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Addiction is profitable to the publishers, it seems. I enjoy card games and board games too, but card games that are self-contained. Never liked the collectible ones. But it seems those are the most that bring the most sales.
That’s never been news. Been that was for about 20 years now.

Stilvan

Explorer
Coming soon: ICv2 Reports 5000% Growth In RPGs in March 2020

This is great to see after the lifeless pit the RPG market became after 3.5. PF2E and 5E complement each other really well I find. Great systems, carefully designed that cater to specific audience or mood.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I wonder if the pandemic will help or hurt sales. Yes, lots of people are going to have economic issues and sellers are going to have supply line issues, but at the same time people being stuck at home may play more games and games are much less expensive than many other forms of entertainment, so people looking for less expensive things to do may turn more to tabletop games.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder if the pandemic will help or hurt sales. Yes, lots of people are going to have economic issues and sellers are going to have supply line issues, but at the same time people being stuck at home may play more games and games are much less expensive than many other forms of entertainment, so people looking for less expensive things to do may turn more to tabletop games.
Physical sales have to go down, as distributors are closing down, as are game stores. There won't be a way to get them.

Digital sales -- I don't know. I've heard conflicting reports. VTT accounts are skyrocketing, but I don't know about PDFs and the like yet. It will be interesting to see how Patreons over the month-end do in a couple of days. I know that could pretty much finish us if it goes badly.

gyor

Legend
Physical sales have to go down, as distributors are closing down, as are game stores. There won't be a way to get them.

Digital sales -- I don't know. I've heard conflicting reports. VTT accounts are skyrocketing, but I don't know about PDFs and the like yet. It will be interesting to see how Patreons over the month-end do in a couple of days. I know that could pretty much finish us if it goes badly.

I think WotC will come thru relatively unscathed.

Wildemount has already sold tons, so far the most popular campaign setting book for 5e. Theros is already selling very well, although not crazy well like Wildemount.

Other stuff might have to be delayed sadly, but it's not like WotC puts out a ton of products anyways and most of, if not all of them, should be released this year even with a Corona related delay. Still 2021 looks like it might end getting an extra book if one gets bumped back enough.

Plus WotC will profit heavily from increased digital sales at D&DBeyond.

It's going rougher on the smaller publishers like Onyx Path which had to cancel their Legend Lore kickstarter for now.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases