ICv2's Top 5 RPGs for Spring 2020 - D&D 3PPs In The Chart!

ICv2's latest set of figures are in (I compile them all here) and, while there's little surprise about D&D followed by Pathfinder coming in the top two places, and Starfinder also featuring, there's a new entry -- "5E-Compatible". These are for Spring 2020. The 5E-Compatible category, according to ICv2's online magazine, shows that collectively third-party D&D products are doing well...

ICv2's latest set of figures are in (I compile them all here) and, while there's little surprise about D&D followed by Pathfinder coming in the top two places, and Starfinder also featuring, there's a new entry -- "5E-Compatible". These are for Spring 2020.

LostCityCover-900.jpg

The 5E-Compatible category, according to ICv2's online magazine, shows that collectively third-party D&D products are doing well, although none individually make the top five chart. Goodman Games was called out in particular, as were Kobold Press and Nord Games. RPGs as a whole, however, took a (small) dip for the first time in years, likely due to COVID.

One retailer commented on WotC's D&D releases, noting that while sales of recent books have been 'OK', it's been a while since a really big hit like the Volo and Xanathar Guides.

1Dungeons & DragonsWizards of the Coast
2PathfinderPaizo
35E-CompatibleVarious
4StarfinderPaizo
5CyberpunkR. Talsorian

LotsOfLore

Villager
I was including those under ‘supplements for the old edition.’ But yeah, many PF players have stacks of material they haven’t gotten through yet. And not just adventures - there’s classes they want to play, monsters they want to throw at PCs, character builds they want to try out. The fact that they are happy to continue doing so rather than moving to PF2 doesn’t make them close minded.

No, it's hating on PF2 whilst not having actually tried it that makes them close minded.

Me and my group played PF1, then PF2 came out. We tried it, it took us all of ONE session to realise how ridiculously better it is than the previous edition. We now very happily play PF2. End of story, no drama needed.
I also love Starfinder and play it as much as I can even though it's not as refined rules-wise.
I converted all my friends from 5e to pf2 even though I think 5e is a good edition and particularly well suited for casuals and children.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I converted all my friends from 5e to pf2 even though I think 5e is a good edition and particularly well suited for casuals and children.
There’s nothing wrong with having opinions, even strong ones. But tossing out casual backhanded insults like this is not really nice. And not being nice makes work for the moderation staff.

Don’t make work for moderation staff, please.

LotsOfLore

Villager
Challenging moderation
There’s nothing wrong with having opinions, even strong ones. But tossing out casual backhanded insults like this is not really nice. And not being nice makes work for the moderation staff.

Don’t make work for moderation staff, please.
Respectfully, there was no insult in my comment. Backhanded or otherwise.
If you refer to my characterising 5e as being particularly well suited for casuals and children, how is that an insult or negative thing? There is nothing wrong with having a product that appeals to a broader category of consumers, and neophites to the hobby, rather than the core established players.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Respectfully, there was no insult in my comment. Backhanded or otherwise.
If you refer to my characterising 5e as being particularly well suited for casuals and children, how is that an insult or negative thing? There is nothing wrong with having a product that appeals to a broader category of consumers, and neophites to the hobby, rather than the core established players.
Please do not argue with moderators in-thread. Thanks.

Remove ads

Remove ads