ICv2's Top 5 RPGs for Spring 2020 - D&D 3PPs In The Chart!

ICv2's latest set of figures are in (I compile them all here) and, while there's little surprise about D&D followed by Pathfinder coming in the top two places, and Starfinder also featuring, there's a new entry -- "5E-Compatible". These are for Spring 2020. The 5E-Compatible category, according to ICv2's online magazine, shows that collectively third-party D&D products are doing well...

ICv2's latest set of figures are in (I compile them all here) and, while there's little surprise about D&D followed by Pathfinder coming in the top two places, and Starfinder also featuring, there's a new entry -- "5E-Compatible". These are for Spring 2020.

LostCityCover-900.jpg

The 5E-Compatible category, according to ICv2's online magazine, shows that collectively third-party D&D products are doing well, although none individually make the top five chart. Goodman Games was called out in particular, as were Kobold Press and Nord Games. RPGs as a whole, however, took a (small) dip for the first time in years, likely due to COVID.

One retailer commented on WotC's D&D releases, noting that while sales of recent books have been 'OK', it's been a while since a really big hit like the Volo and Xanathar Guides.

1Dungeons & DragonsWizards of the Coast
2PathfinderPaizo
35E-CompatibleVarious
4StarfinderPaizo
5CyberpunkR. Talsorian

Retreater

Legend
Bought the PDF for PF2. Didn't like it enough to investigate further.

To many keywords, fiddly, bad layout.

Probably fun enough to play but not really a continuation of 3.5 it's a new game.

So yeah not what I'm after and unlike 4E there's a better option.

Had some cool ideas here and there.

I agree with all your criticisms of PF2, but they aren't a total dealbreaker for me. I am enjoying it pretty well despite that.
I'm glad you at least gave it a shot by reading the PDF.

Zardnaar

Legend
I agree with all your criticisms of PF2, but they aren't a total dealbreaker for me. I am enjoying it pretty well despite that.
I'm glad you at least gave it a shot by reading the PDF.

I would probably give it a shot if mate IRL said "want to play pf2".

Wife likes the bard and wanted to try it. Mission figuring it out though.

Pretty much not buying RPGs now as they tend to be expensive book ends on the shelf.

Retreater

Legend
I would probably give it a shot if mate IRL said "want to play pf2".

Wife likes the bard and wanted to try it. Mission figuring it out though.

Pretty much not buying RPGs now as they tend to be expensive book ends on the shelf.
My wife loves the crunch of PF2. I think she's playing an 8th level wizard, and it's her favorite version of D&D (perhaps tied with 4E).

aramis erak

Legend
Bought the PDF for PF2. Didn't like it enough to investigate further.

To many keywords, fiddly, bad layout.

Probably fun enough to play but not really a continuation of 3.5 it's a new game.

So yeah not what I'm after and unlike 4E there's a better option.

Had some cool ideas here and there.
I got the PDF, as well... the layout isn't that bad... it's functional.

I like some of the ideas - the "3 actions" economy, especially...

But the fundamental math of +1 per level for proficiency just really doesn't work for me, especially given additional levels of mastery only provide further +1.

And that's the fundamental d20 system element still present. The key element that I didn't like in 3E. And it's why I won't bother with PF2 any further.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You left out one key element - many of them haven't played through what they have already in terms of adventures and adventure paths.

@Mistwell - Paizo will cause not a few people to buy the dead tree for some of those PDFs. If 10% do so, they're likely to make another $100K or more after costs.

I seriously doubt it would be more than 1%.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
PF2 is a great success. They have broken all their previous sales records with this edition.

We have a lot of objective data concerning PF1 sales, Starfinder sales, and PF2 sales. None of that data, and I mean NONE of it, would tend to indicate they have "broken all their previous sales records" with PF2.

If you have objective data showing otherwise, do please post a link.

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
Statements from Paizo employees flat out stating that PF2 sales have broken all of their previous sales records. I don't know where you are getting your data from, but it is clear that Paizo ordered quite a few more PF2 CRBs for this first print run than they did for the first print run of PF1.

glass

(he, him)
I got the PDF, as well... the layout isn't that bad... it's functional.

I like some of the ideas - the "3 actions" economy, especially...

But the fundamental math of +1 per level for proficiency just really doesn't work for me, especially given additional levels of mastery only provide further +1.
Proficiency ranks above trained add +2 per rank. Perhaps more significantly (at least in the case of skills) they also give access to Trained/Expert/Master/Legendary skill uses and skill feats.

_
glass.

Remove ads

Remove ads