Idea

Lacerin

First Post
I think we should hold a tournament. Of course a tournament that all can be in, but with regulations. Thank you for hearing me out.

Lacerin

First Post
A week long tournament, if we can drag it out to be so long. The tournament I haven't entirely thought up the whole picture, but the tournament will not be based on kills. I'm thinking a special room if the Magis permit, and wins are based on knocking your opponent uncontious or ring outs. And of course so the fights don't drag on forever I'm thinking a time limit and a sort of point gain. And I am thinking if any want we can turn the tournament into a massive storyline. One that everyone can be connected to.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
It'd probably be a good idea to make good use of the die roller. Anytime you have a lot of people involved in something like that, where you are actually keeping track of knockouts or points, it's a good idea to have rules and something measurable. I know, I know, this is a free form site. But, for the sake of an organized event which includes fighting, I think the best way to do so would be to have some non-biased way of determining a winner. So you're not just relying on people's tendency to accept or not accept hits.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
That's easy enough to explain. The issue is to figure out exactly what to measure - obviously my little harp playing chorus member (wouldn't go to a tournament, but, just for the sake of example, I'm using two of my own characters) wouldn't do as well as my guard who has been in the military since she was old enough to swing a blade and was even a general at one point. So, since it *is* freeform, not everyone even has stats - the trick will be setting some sort of measure so that everything is not just a random die roll. Or, you could just declare random die roll to keep things simple.

Warbridge

First Post
Setting some sort of measure is easy enough, everyone just create their characters with stats. Without some form of stats it becomes completely random, or as close to it as a programmed dice roller can get.

I shared an idea similar to this with a friend the other day. It was called "Friday Night Elf Fights". We leveled the playing field a little by saying only elves can compete. Anyone else can enter, but they have to use a polymorph ring provided by the overseeing association which would turn them into an elf when worn. We had some laughs about it.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I'm screwed...I've never created a character with stats. And I'm not real sure where to begin either.

Clear the slate, make it DOA style, no weapons, no magic; just physical prowess. You could make it more even, by planning matches that're gonna be competitive. Put Sienna's little chorus girl up against my darling little seamstress elf and get giggles when the claws come out? That way you dont have to worry about stats, their rolls'd be pretty much equal.

Naturally, I am all for a tourney with a losers and a winners ladder. And to spice things up, make the battles three-way & last man standing config.

Warbridge

First Post
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/basics.html

Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean you're screwed. Buddy up with someone and give it a shot. And I doubt the link will help on its own, but it is a damn handy reference for anyone that does D&D 3.5E.

DOA style with physical prowess is an interesting notion, right up until you get a 10,000 year old dragon or any of the vampires involved. No magic puts all non-melee characters such as spell casters at a disadvantage. Might as well just all play cage match tiddly winks.

Actually, what might work is if the whole thing is broken up into categories like they do at real tournaments. Non-combatants or civilians in one category can be anyone without stats. Then we break the others up according to the game their stats are based on or what they can convert their character to most easily.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases