D&D (2024) Ideas for Advanced Masteries that "cost" multiple attacks

GreyLord

Legend
Improved Critical...

You can improve the Critical Chance and the Damage by expending more attacks into one attack.

Use Two Attacks for One attack = Critical Hit on a 19 or 20 and do 2x the dmg roll in crit damage

Use Three Attacks for one Attack = Critical Hit on a 17 - 20 and do 4 X the dmg roll in crit damage

Use Four Attacks for One Attack = Critical Hit on a 13 - 20 and do 8 X the dmg roll in crit damage

A gamble to use, but it really pays off if you hit, especially if you have 4 attacks and expend them...

aco175

Legend
Sounds like we are bringing back 4e powers. :)

Close burst 1 powers or 'Come and get it' where you draw in all the bad guts from 2 squares out and then attack them all.

ChameleonX

Explorer
Sounds like we are bringing back 4e powers. :)

Close burst 1 powers or 'Come and get it' where you draw in all the bad guts from 2 squares out and then attack them all.
I support this wholeheartedly. 4e was the only edition where Martial characters were actually on par with casters.

Martials need more attacks per round not less.

1. More attacks reduce swingness of DPR. 5 attacks for X damage is better than 1 attack for 5X damage.
2. Less overkill lost damage
3. Easier do deal with hordes without additional special attack rules(cleave, AoE archery)

Don't disagree, which is why my earlier suggestions were for edge cases.

Whirlwind attack - using a finesse weapon you can take a -5 penalty to damage to all attacks to gain extra attacks. You add an extra attack for every two attacks you have, round up.

So I think Masteries can of course be expanded on, but one thought I had was for advanced mastery maneuvers that instead of being part of an attack, actually require one to use multiple attacks to implement. Most of them will of course require "spending" 2 attacks, which puts them in range of something that 5th level characters can do, and open the door for Fighters (and possibly Monks) being better at some of those things because they can "spend" 3 attacks for something out of reach of other classes.

As for what they might be, could be things like Whirlwind Attack (either attack all adjacent or all adjacent makes a dex save to avoid damage) or being able to harpoon someone and pull them or yourself closer.
It is a decent idea to explore, but I feel this can be built through Feats for the many different weapons that aren't catered for - spears, mauls, axes, flails, warhammers, spiked-chains, harpoons, tridents, nets...etc

Remove ads