Ideas for the use of True Strike?

Hi, I'm playing a sorceror as one of my characters (starting level 1) and I was going over the usefulness of True Strike, since I'm trying to base my character a bit off of a diviner. Right now I'm deciding between the use of True Strike and Magic Missile, and I would like to know any good (low levels and high level) uses for true strike.

So far:
True strike can be used in conjunction with bows really well. (a no brainer)
True Strike+Caltrops or something else like alchemist's fire.

Nareau

Explorer
A couple of obvious ones...

True Strike is great for hitting people who are really far away. It's great for overcoming the -2/range increment (not to mention the great mental image of watching that pesky demon fly away, taking careful aim, and easily shooting her out of the sky a quarter-mile away.)

It's also good for compensating for a strong Power Attack.

As well as succeeding in opposed attack rolls (like Striking a Weapon (PHB 136)).

Not to mention hitting people with the Blur spell (or Displacement, or Darkness, or Invisibility).

Although for the most part, I'd recommend Magic Missile for a sorceror instead. True Strike has some good, specific applications...but MM is all around useful, and will only get better. I guess it depends on how many levels of Sorc you plan on taking...

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Remember, True Strike will only be really useful if you Quicken it (not for Sorcerers), or you are hasted. Otherwise, you cast it and then have to wait until the next round before you can use it. And the spell only lasts a round, so you can't cast it well ahead of time and hang on to it until you need it.

It's most useful with Rogue/Sorcerers or Rogue/Wizards to make certain you hit with that sneak attack.

Also, True Strike will work on any attack roll. That includes touch attacks and ranged touch attacks.

This gives me an idea: Bracers of True Strike. Finally a use for Craft Wonderous Item that the whole party can enjoy.

As to taking Magic Missle instead of True Strike, well it's true that neither attack would miss, it's just that a Shield spell doesn't negate the True Strike shot.

Can you just imagine the look on the party's faces when you fire your Bolt of Dragon Slaying during combat and the poor Wyrm drops over, dead? Now that's an impressive bit 'o magic ;)

Besides, a Wand of Magic Missles has got to be one of the easier items to find.

Hatchling Dragon

Crowe9107

First Post
Nothing like the look of shock and dismay on your PCs face when the kobold sorceror hits the tank with a true-strike coupled with a ballista :eek:

Cheers,

Carl W. Rowe

Hatchling Dragon said:
As to taking Magic Missle instead of True Strike, well it's true that neither attack would miss, it's just that a Shield spell doesn't negate the True Strike shot.

True strike will always miss on a roll of one.

Orco42

First Post
My party was fighting a dragon. He cast true stike on his sword and threw it (he has throw anything feat). He missed with a one.

It took him a round to get his sword and then he cast true strike and threw it again. And missed with a one.

The next session he tries the same tactic agains a fleeing orc.... and misses.

3 times in a row he misses with true strike (a 1 in 8000 chance).

So while it is good in most cases DO NOT use it on a thrown sword.

Since then I have instituted critical failures. ;)

James McMurray

First Post
Its also good for delivering poison at range. Of course, poison has its own issues, but they may not be a problem depending on the character and the party.

Also, as people said, its great for opposed attack rolles, and could make your sorceror a handy addition when it comes time to knowck something out of someone's hand or something like that.

bret

First Post
In my opinion, True Strike isn't as useful for a Sorcerer as a multiclassed character. The True Strike Power Attack combination is the big thing that many multiclass characters look for.

Magic Missle will always be useful for a Sorcerer. It is (for good reason) considered THE SPELL to get at first level as a Sorcerer. It is also the reason that Shield Spell is as common as it is.

Other attack spells you may want to look at are the various Lesser Orb spells (from Tome & Blood) or Burning Hands (for when you get mobbed by opponents).

Remember that any spells you take as a Sorcerer are going to have to still be useful when you get to 10th level or higher. Some spells loose their usefulness quickly, such as sleep.

James McMurray

First Post
If we're leaving the realm if MM vs. TS, I'd suggest also looking at Flame Bolt from relics and rituals. It is like MM, except fir damage, one extra missile, and it requires a ranged touch attack. It also maxes at missiles instead of 5.

Remove ads