Ideas for the use of True Strike?

I have a fighter mage who uses the True Strike spell when he knows he is walking into an ambush.

One example was a very small green dragon we fought and it retreated into a very dark half water filled lair. We knew it was very hurt and one good hit would finish it off. The lair was so horrible terrain wise though and only one of us could fit in the entrance. So I cast True Strike on myself and jumped in. The dragin made its attack and figured the darkness and water would protect him from me having much of a change in hitting him back.

Due to the True Strike he was wrong. ;)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I dmd a game with a sorcerer with MM, and eventually empower. Let me tell you he was brutal, and I eventually had to insert a lot more shield spells, and broaches of shielding into the game than I normally would have, simply because I wasn't used to the MM battery concept yet.

MM is great but your dm may get frustrated with the massive damage you deal consistently with this spell(mostly a low-mid level probem) and make shield spells really common.

True strike is just cooler in my mind because every sorcerer and wizard has MM. But lets face it MM is a stanby attack you can use at almost all levels.

thundershot

Adventurer
In Sword & Fist, there's a "Bow of True Arrows" (or something like that.. book not in front of me) that makes arrows shot from it as if they were true strike... :D

Caliban

Rules Monkey
thundershot said:
In Sword & Fist, there's a "Bow of True Arrows" (or something like that.. book not in front of me) that makes arrows shot from it as if they were true strike... :D

Well, it only affects one arrow every other round, and that's only if you are a spellcaster with true strike on your class spell list (or have Use Magic Device).

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
thundershot said:

Close, but not quite: the bow's user could activate it in order to make the next arrow shot from it be under the effect of a true strike spell.

This makes it much less useful: activating a magic item is a standard action. If you're hasted, then you can take a full-attack action with one shot at +20; otherwise, doing the same thing takes two rounds.

Daniel

Seule

Explorer
Reading the new Masters of the Wild gave me a new use for True Strike:
Look at this combo, not too hard for a high level character to pull off with the right classes.

True Strike
A weapon with a high critical multiplier
Power Critical
Power Attack for a big number
(optionally) Smite

Power critical (not listing the prerequisites, buy the book) allows you to once a day decide that for the current attack, if it hits it'll be a critical threat. True Strike cancels the Power attack penalty and then some, and you have a very very vicious attack. I'm not going to try doing the math, but it's evil.

--Seule

Magnus

First Post
Seule said:
Reading the new Masters of the Wild gave me a new use for True Strike:

True Strike
A weapon with a high critical multiplier
Power Critical
Power Attack for a big number
(optionally) Smite

can't power attack with a ranged weapon far as i know.

Remove ads