D&D 5E Ideas for Unique Ranger Spells and Magic

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Didn't 1E only require the druid to have mistletoe/Holley/nightshade (think they are all one in the same) to cast spells? So I guess that would be natural and don't disagree. The Ranger should fall under the same. But at some point they got lumped in with divine intervention. I never agreed with either the druid or the ranger getting their spells from arcane means.

The thing is the ranger is part of civilization not nature. That's why they get spells like silence now but druids don't. They are people and are willing to use people tools like the arcane and metal.

The ranger is man conquering the wild for man's benefit.

The goal is to kill all goblins protect civilization from monstrous threats and wild hordes.

R_J_K75

Legend
The thing is the ranger is part of civilization not nature. That's why they get spells like silence now but druids don't. They are people and are willing to use people tools like the arcane and metal.

The goal is to kill all goblins protect civilization from monstrous threats and wild hordes.

Thats a very good explanation. I never quite thought of it like that. It makes alot of sense. Sting would be druid where John Lennon would be the ranger it seems.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Great, so now we can blame them for deforestation. (j/k) ;)

Earlier you used the word "revere" in response to one of my posts, which I thought was too strong. Now, you use the word "conquer" which I also think is too strong. I still believe "understand and respect" nature best suits them.

I like to think of the ranger as the thin line between the wild and civilization, overlapping and belonging to both. Which is why I believe their magic is primarily druidic with some arcane (as it was in 1E).

EDIT: which you said here:

Rangers repect and understand nature

Nebulous

Legend
Personally, I think Ranger could be a third level subclass of the Fighter and have three different builds: Magic, Beast Ranger, or Aragon. Give the magic one spell like one unique abilities that aren't copies of existing spells.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Great, so now we can blame them for deforestation. (j/k) ;)

Earlier you used the word "revere" in response to one of my posts, which I thought was too strong. Now, you use the word "conquer" which I also think is too strong. I still believe "understand and respect" nature best suits them.

I like to think of the ranger as the thin line between the wild and civilization, overlapping and belonging to both. Which is why I believe their magic is primarily druidic with some arcane (as it was in 1E).

EDIT: which you said here:

"understand and respect" nature is the default assumption. "revere" or "dominate" optional for specific rangers.

I see the ranger as more an aggressive ambassador. Rangers aren't out to kill the wild, they are out to keep the wilderness out of the town. The orcs, the goblins, the dragons. the abberations, the fey, etc... they have to stayoutside of the villages and cities. If they hint that they will come into civilization and act like the wild, the ranger kills them. Rangers give warnings when possible but they don't hesitate to pull that thang out and ratatatat if you know what I mean.

In turn, the civilized must agree to the ranger's rules and heed their advice. If the ranger says don't hunt the King's deer, do not do it or you get an axe to face. In the ranger says say out the river as the water fey are having a festival, you stay off the river or you get an axe to the face. She already made a deal with the Lady of the Rivers and you aint messing that up. If zombies are coming out the sands and the local rangers need to herd and vanquish them, he doesn't need you tasty flesh pulling the undead in the wrong direction.

My point is that the default alignment for rangers is Pro-Civilization. I think the key aspect is that the ranger sees regular people as soft and those who need protection. They lost their wild side and thus must isolate from it. Ranger reconnect with their wild side but still hold on to their civilized side.

Of course some go too far down the hole and forget Friedrich Nietzsche's quote.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
My point is that the default alignment for rangers is Pro-Civilization
Well, I don't know if we'll get very far then because my point is that the default alignment for rangers is pro-nature. Other than druids and some nature clerics, etc., most "others" are already pro-civilization enough that rangers must side with nature to maintain the balance between them. This allows them to walk that line between both worlds. Without that balance, it would be utter chaos.

That isn't to say I don't get your point. Whether the ranger is on civilization's side, telling the forces of the wild to "Stay back or come in peace", or on nature's side, telling the people of the town, "I'm trying to help you here! Don't make my job harder", the ranger is trying to act in the best interest of the people he is trying to protect (even if they don't realize it or appreciate him for it).

Your ranger sounds like he would be comfortable living in the town and making forays out into the wild when he needs to, as where my ranger prefers to maintain his close connection to nature, only occasionally making forays into the town when he needs to.

To-may-to vs. To-mah-to. :)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, I don't know if we'll get very far then because my point is that the default alignment for rangers is pro-nature. Other than druids and some nature clerics, etc., most "others" are already pro-civilization enough that rangers must side with nature to maintain the balance between them. This allows them to walk that line between both worlds. Without that balance, it would be utter chaos.

That isn't to say I don't get your point. Whether the ranger is on civilization's side, telling the forces of the wild to "Stay back or come in peace", or on nature's side, telling the people of the town, "I'm trying to help you here! Don't make my job harder", the ranger is trying to act in the best interest of the people he is trying to protect (even if they don't realize it or appreciate him for it).

Your ranger sounds like he would be comfortable living in the town and making forays out into the wild when he needs to, as where my ranger prefers to maintain his close connection to nature, only occasionally making forays into the town when he needs to.

To-may-to vs. To-mah-to. :)

It's a "range" with rangers isn't it? :)
Some live in town and travel out to range and patrol. Others live in the wild and travel to town to rely messages and buy supplies. And some rangers live on or near dedicated forts in the wild that are neither towns nor the wilderness.

That's why I'm for a pool of general ranger spells and then giving rangers the ability to branch out to different pools of spells like the warlock and paladin does.

• Hunter
    • No bonus spells
  • Beastmaster
    • animal based druid spells
  • Gloomstalker
    • disguise self, rope trick, fear, grtr invis, seeming
  • Horizon Walker
    • prot from good & evil, misty step, haste, banishment, tele circle
  • Monster Slayer
    • prot from good & evil, zone of truth, magic circle, banishment, hold monster
  • Swarmkeeper
    • faerie fire, web, gas form, giant insect, insect plague,
  • Fey Wanderer
    • charm person, misty step, dispel magic, banishment, mislead
  • "Warden"
    • plant and stone based druid spells
  • "Ranger-Lord"/"Aragon"
    • Ritual caster
    • divination spells
  • "Seeker"
    • evocation wizard spells
  • "Stormwarden"
    • lightning, thunder, wind, and cold druid and ranger spells
  • "Sword of the Arcane Order"
    • Ritual caster
    • a wizard spellbook
  • "Witch Hunter"
    • Burn the heretic, Kill the mutant, Purge the unclean.
  • "Devoted Tracker"
    • ALL THE SMITES
    • ALL THE TIME
    • SMITE THE ENEMIES OF THE NATURE GODDESS

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It's a "range" with rangers isn't it?
LOL, yeah, and they "range" in the wild. ;)

Anyway, enough of all that, on to the spells!!! :D

That's why I'm for a pool of general ranger spells and then giving rangers the ability to branch out to different pools of spells like the warlock and paladin does.
Completely agree. One thing we do for warlocks is to make their expanded spells automatically count as bonus known spells, which increases their known spells by 10 total. True, they are set, but it makes them a bit more magical IMO. It makes sense to us since the Paladin spells are always prepared, etc.

I've always found it odd that because of domain spells, etc., clerics, druids (circle of land), paladins, and such gain 10 more spells that are always prepared. So, while wizards are thought to be the epitome of utility, they have a maximum of 25 prepared spells at level 20, while clerics have 35, and even paladins can match the wizards at 25 prepared spells!

So, I am fine with rangers having prepared spells (as you desire) or retaining known spells, but with the +10 branch spells.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really think that no matter what spells you come up with, if the ranger doesn't gain more spells known somehow, it's wasted effort.

I wonder about rangers being able to pick up spells from other rangers, druids, and lore books. Basically, give them something like a spellbook feature.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Completely agree. One thing we do for warlocks is to make their expanded spells automatically count as bonus known spells, which increases their known spells by 10 total. True, they are set, but it makes them a bit more magical IMO. It makes sense to us since the Paladin spells are always prepared, etc.

I've always found it odd that because of domain spells, etc., clerics, druids (circle of land), paladins, and such gain 10 more spells that are always prepared. So, while wizards are thought to be the epitome of utility, they have a maximum of 25 prepared spells at level 20, while clerics have 35, and even paladins can match the wizards at 25 prepared spells!

So, I am fine with rangers having prepared spells (as you desire) or retaining known spells, but with the +10 branch spells.

I'm for more a wizard like prepared caster for the ranger.
Where the ranger might only be able to prepare 1+1/2 level spells but might know 20-25 spells.

I like ranger magic having this nebulous source. Magic passed down by mentors and trainers, granted by otherworldy networking, traded from foreign organizations, and self taught secrets.

Like Randall the Ranger learned
  1. Randall learned hunter's mark, speak with animals, cure wounds, and locate object from his master Robert the ranger
  2. He was taught darkvision and pass without trace were taught by Richard the Ranger, Robert's mentor, when Robert was struggling with the youthful boy
  3. Rhya, Robert's dryad lover, treated the young half elf like her son and taught Randall Plant Growth and Speak with Plants
  4. Randall talks the specialization of the Gloomstalker. The Dread-Captain Rebecca teaches him disguise self
  5. On his first trip to the mountains, Randall gains memories that would develop in him knowing stoneskin in later years
  6. On his second solo mission, Randall watched the sea nymphs swim and they taught him water breathing
  7. As a reward for his quest and not sleeping with his daughter, the sea elf lord taught him water walking.
  8. Richard dies in an ambush. Randall is given a scroll of swift quiver in his will.
  9. Randall joined a party. After years of adventuring, the paladin Sir Raphiel's faith rubbed off on Randall and he learned searing smite
  10. While adventuring in the Underdark, the land druids there teach him web
  11. A fling with a tiefling fiend warlock, Revolution, involves a trade which given Randall flame arrows
  12. Old Dread Captain Rebecca scolds Randall for not learning fear yet
  13. Randall returned to his aging master as the party ran through his old stomping grounds. Robert teaches him locate creature and freedom of movement
  14. Revolution tracks down Randall to reveal his child. Randall learns protection from energy from a druid to defend from the tired mother and her unhappy patron
Yes 11 and 14 happened to my ranger in 3.5.

Remove ads