• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If a DM says, "Anything goes in my campaign" (Pure RAW) What is your initial opinion?

If a DM says, "Anything goes in my campaign" (Pure RAW) What is your initial opinion

• A fool and his game balance are soon parted.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • Does this guy realize how MANY d20 supplements are out there?

Votes: 42 29.2%
  • Wow, I've always wanted to play <insert broken combo here>

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • This DM is SO COOL!!!!!!!

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • Maybe I would be better off in another game.

Votes: 20 13.9%

• Poll closed .

RobotRobotI

First Post
I'd be a little afraid, not because of the DM, but just because I never trust other players I don't know to do anything besides min max.

On the other end of the spectrum, a DM who allows only certain supplements tend to frustrate me... game I'm in allows feats from like, Complete Warrior and all the Eberron stuff, but playing a Cleric, I feel neglected.

Nyeshet

First Post
beaver1024 said:
There should be an option: "Let the reign of CodZilla begin!!"
Now, now. Just because Clerics in 3.5e grant their own prayers doesn't mean they're overpowered, right? :lol: ;)

Last edited:

Nyeshet

First Post
Getting back to the original poll post:

Were I a DM about to have a new group I might (albeit with at least some restrictions) allow such at the first meeting mostly to see what type of people I would be DMing. You can learn a lot about a person from their unrestricted character design, I think.

If they all create min-maxed tanks / nukers, then I know they tend to prefer combat over roleplay and can tailor the future quests towards that. If they take some sub-optimal skills, feats, PrCs, etc then I know they are perhaps more interested in the story / roleplay than in constant combat and will take that into account. If one tries to overwhelm the others and the story with their broken combination, then I know to be careful what I allow or have fall into his hands, lest he steal the story or prevent the others from having fun.

It's sort of like a typical gaming session, but exaggerated so extremely that even the more subtle nuances stand out like spot lights.

Needless to say, the second campaign and all such thereafter would have limitations based upon what was seen at the first meeting. If they did not take advantage of anything, then I would likely not need to state a restriction (except in the most obvious situations - such as 'cannot use a book until I've read the part to be used and it will be present for my perusal during the campaign in case I need referrence on your character's abilties, etc').

Lela

First Post
I went with Way Cool, as that seemed to be the only possitive option.

I run my game this way, for the most part, and don't have problems. Generally I own every book the players want to use anyway and I know them better than they do. Which, incidentally means I can toss slightly broken things at the party to keep giving them a run for their money.

I did have a DM who allowed a superheroes book in (Silver Sentinals I think). That was terrible for the rest of us. One palyer had it, along with a party going NPC, and the rest of us were out shined in every encounter. He, the DM, ignored us when we tried to bring up the problem.

But that book is obviously not balanced with the rest of D&D, nor does it claim to be. The WotC books generally are. If a player wants to add something from a third party, he will of course ask me and I'll look through it, making adjustments as needed. And, as Nyeshet said, he better darn well bring the book with him or buy me a copy.

RobotRobotI said:
On the other end of the spectrum, a DM who allows only certain supplements tend to frustrate me... game I'm in allows feats from like, Complete Warrior and all the Eberron stuff, but playing a Cleric, I feel neglected.

He doesn't allow the whole Complete series? Yeah, that does suck for you. I remember playing a Druid as my first 3.0 PC. It was about a year after that Masters of the Wild came out. I eked out every bit I could get until then.

Last edited:

The "I allow everything game" usually means the DM doesn't have a real theme for his setting and is planning on winging it for quite a while. These games tend to fall apart pretty quickly IMO.

I'm much happier when someone like this uses a pre-existing wide open settings like FR, Eberron, or a world from a well known book series. At least then the DM and player can easily come to terms on what place in society these potentially freaky-freaky characters would hold.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads